+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have you recently applied for an Open Work Permit from Nigeria?

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Hi! This thread is mainly for people who have recently applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit (S-OWP) from the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos, Nigeria. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice from your experiences. It'll also be great if we can share timelines. I submitted an online application for a S-OWP on September 24 2013 but until now have not received any information regarding the application from the embassy. According to current processing times, it'll take the very busy Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos only 5 months to process the application so I really have nothing to complain about yet unless of course I happen to have garnered from this forum that it takes other visa offices like the ones in New Delhi/Mumbai (India) 20-22 lengthy days to process similar applications! I digress.

Is there anyone with or without recent experience of applying for a S-OWP or any other type of work permit from the visa office in Nigeria willing to share some relevant helpful information on this thread? I'd be very thankful for any relevant information (from anybody). Thanks!

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
Lasgidi007 said:
Hi! This thread is mainly for people who have recently applied for a Spousal Open Work Permit (S-OWP) from the Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos, Nigeria. I'd appreciate any feedback/advice from your experiences. It'll also be great if we can share timelines. I submitted an online application for a S-OWP on September 24 2013 but until now have not received any information regarding the application from the embassy. According to current processing times, it'll take the very busy Canadian Deputy High Commission in Lagos only 5 months to process the application so I really have nothing to complain about yet unless of course I happen to have garnered from this forum that it takes other visa offices like the ones in New Delhi/Mumbai (India) 20-22 lengthy days to process similar applications! I digress.

Is there anyone with or without recent experience of applying for a S-OWP or any other type of work permit from the visa office in Nigeria willing to share some relevant helpful information on this thread? I'd be very thankful for any relevant information (from anybody). Thanks!
So, after nearly 6 months of waiting, I got my S-OWP approved! *Delighted beyond measure!*

estilo

Feb 22, 2013
Congratulation on s-owp,am happy for u,after 6month of wait,could u explain ur process.(1)when did they call u for medical and how many days,weeks or months after your medical done ,where given the visa(s-owp),plz do share

nemstic

Apr 8, 2014
Please who again has applied for S-OWP from Nigeria, please share timeline. I applied for mine on 15 May , it almost 2 months now no words. :(

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
estilo said:
Congratulation on s-owp,am happy for u,after 6month of wait,could u explain ur process.(1)when did they call u for medical and how many days,weeks or months after your medical done ,where given the visa(s-owp),plz do share
Hi Estilo, sorry I hardly come here these days (busy enjoying marital bliss, haha) and have just seen your post. I guess my reply may not be that helpful to you anymore but it might be to others. Was called for medicals in the first week of February while the S-OWP was approved in the first week of March (after exactly 4 weeks!).

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
nemstic said:
Please who again has applied for S-OWP from Nigeria, please share timeline. I applied for mine on 15 May , it almost 2 months now no words. :(
Current processing work permit processing time for the Visa Office in Nigeria is 6 months. So, I guess you should be getting your visa this month if you haven't already. Sorry for my belated reply.

2nde2alker

Dec 22, 2014
Hello,

I applied for open work permit to join my wife who is a full time student in Windsor. I submitted online on 24th November, 2014 and got receipt notification same day. Did upfront medicals. My question is how soon should i expect a response from CHC, Lagos?
Thank you.

Mrs DTO

Jan 10, 2015
Hi, I applied for open work permit 20th September 2014 online, got medical request 19th November and passed medicals 1st December and since then I have not heard from CIC lagos (learnt the visa process was in lagos). Anyone knows the time frame from medicals passed to passport request? Thanks

2nde2alker

Dec 22, 2014
Mrs DTO said:
Hi, I applied for open work permit 20th September 2014 online, got medical request 19th November and passed medicals 1st December and since then I have not heard from CIC lagos (learnt the visa process was in lagos). Anyone knows the time frame from medicals passed to passport request? Thanks
Guess we are in same boat. Are you spouse of a foreign worker of foreign student?

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
In my own case, it took approximately a month to receive PPR after passing medicals. However, it took about 4 months to get medical request after submitting the online OWP application. Since your timeline shows the process as faster, maybe you won't have to wait for as long as I did. It'll be great if you could leave a report on the forum after getting your OWP :) Good luck to you and 2nde2alker!

Mrs DTO said:

2nde2alker

Dec 22, 2014
Got passport request 19/01/2015. Submitted 23/01/2015. Passport ready for my pick up 27/01/2015.
Going to vac tomorrow.

Lasgidi007

Jan 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
Waived
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
N/A
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-02-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived.
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Issued 10-03-2014
LANDED..........
April 2014
2nde2alker said:
Got passport request 19/01/2015. Submitted 23/01/2015. Passport ready for my pick up 27/01/2015.
Going to vac tomorrow.
Congratulations on getting your OWP, 2nde2alker!

omoboladan

Nov 10, 2016
I applied for a Spousal Open work permit in Nigeria and I changed my debit card 2 months ago as the old one's magnetic stripe no longer works. Now when I log on to the new card using Sign-in partner ,my application is gone, I tried relinking but the system says it can't find the application, I opened another account via GCkey but still having the same issue with linking the application. I have two(2) updates now but still unable to access my account. Call center told me to use the case-specific form for technical support which I sent to CIC Accra 10 days ago but I have gotten no reply, I'm really worried, please i need advice on what else to do.

Modupeadeuti

Apr 26, 2017
good evening,

mine is a bit different. my Husband got a job in Canada, his company applied for him. its an international mobility programme. so he is applying for the employer specific WP while mine is the S-owp.

we applied on the 14th of December, 2017
we were asked to do biometrics on the 14th of April and since then we have been waiting.
at the end of this month
any ideas on how long it may still take