+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HAVE VALID PR CARD BUT HAVE NOT MET RO PERIOD

CanuckBrit

Jul 12, 2019
I have been up all night in tears over this. My reason for returning to UK was to report my father for historical abuse. I never ever expected things to take so long, and to cause me mental health issues the way it has. I did make two visits back to Canada in 2014 and 2017. While in Canada in 2017 my PR card was due to expire so I applied for renewal. In the meantime I returned to UK to continue with a very traumatic situation. My PR card arrived at place I stay in Canada in August, 2017. It was mailed to me in UK. Now that I have a few loose ends to tie up in UK, I am more than ready to go back to Canada and stay there and get citizenship. I had sent forms in to CIC in June 2013 but they claim they never received them. What a nightmare! I have three years left on my PR card. I did not choose the situation I am in, and am now devastated to think I may be denied entry to Canada. If we look at last five years I did not satisfy residency requirement. I have never ever breached this before. I moved to Canada in 1982 and for many years assumed we had Citizenship as my adoptive father was Canadian. I was shocked to find out otherwise. I had a lot of personal tragedy to deal with and to be honest was not thinking about Citizenship Ironically, when I did they say they never received forms. Anyway, I plan to fly back to Canada in early part of 2020. I will stay have over 2 years on my PR, and fully intend to stay in Canada to meet citizenship requirement I have been trying to call lawyer in BC that I trust but she is away for a month. I am scared that when I fly to Vancouver and scan my passport/PR card in the kiosk that CBSA will be there to haul me away. I have not worked in UK at all, and have not made a life here. All my stuff is in storage in Canada, I still have Canadian bank account and credit card, and have an address in Canada. I am so upset, as you can imagine. Dealing with reporting historical abuse takes a lot out of a person. I would hope that in this climate, there is room for compassion from CBSA agents, as it is not fault of victims. I have Metropolitan Police, Counsellor, etc that could prove why I have been here, along with friends who knew reason I was in UK. My question is, what will happen to me in Vancouver? Will they haul me aside when I scan my entry documents? Will they force me back on a plane to UK? Due to my abuser living in UK, I could never ever stay here permanently and never had intention of it. Just in tears, as afraid after all I have been through, Canada might have no understanding or compassion I didn't just come to UK and travel and have fun. Have not travelled at all here. I am so scared as I love life in Canada and have so much there. Any advice?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been up all night in tears over this. My reason for returning to UK was to report my father for historical abuse. I never ever expected things to take so long, and to cause me mental health issues the way it has. I did make two visits back to Canada in 2014 and 2017. While in Canada in 2017 my PR card was due to expire so I applied for renewal. In the meantime I returned to UK to continue with a very traumatic situation. My PR card arrived at place I stay in Canada in August, 2017. It was mailed to me in UK. Now that I have a few loose ends to tie up in UK, I am more than ready to go back to Canada and stay there and get citizenship. I had sent forms in to CIC in June 2013 but they claim they never received them. What a nightmare! I have three years left on my PR card. I did not choose the situation I am in, and am now devastated to think I may be denied entry to Canada. If we look at last five years I did not satisfy residency requirement. I have never ever breached this before. I moved to Canada in 1982 and for many years assumed we had Citizenship as my adoptive father was Canadian. I was shocked to find out otherwise. I had a lot of personal tragedy to deal with and to be honest was not thinking about Citizenship Ironically, when I did they say they never received forms. Anyway, I plan to fly back to Canada in early part of 2020. I will stay have over 2 years on my PR, and fully intend to stay in Canada to meet citizenship requirement I have been trying to call lawyer in BC that I trust but she is away for a month. I am scared that when I fly to Vancouver and scan my passport/PR card in the kiosk that CBSA will be there to haul me away. I have not worked in UK at all, and have not made a life here. All my stuff is in storage in Canada, I still have Canadian bank account and credit card, and have an address in Canada. I am so upset, as you can imagine. Dealing with reporting historical abuse takes a lot out of a person. I would hope that in this climate, there is room for compassion from CBSA agents, as it is not fault of victims. I have Metropolitan Police, Counsellor, etc that could prove why I have been here, along with friends who knew reason I was in UK. My question is, what will happen to me in Vancouver? Will they haul me aside when I scan my entry documents? Will they force me back on a plane to UK? Due to my abuser living in UK, I could never ever stay here permanently and never had intention of it. Just in tears, as afraid after all I have been through, Canada might have no understanding or compassion I didn't just come to UK and travel and have fun. Have not travelled at all here. I am so scared as I love life in Canada and have so much there. Any advice?
You received the right advice in your other thread.

You will not be denied entry into Canada provided you have a valid PR card.

However to ensure your PR status is 100% safe, you need ot make sure that you meed the residency requirement. This requires you to live in Canada for a minimum of 2 years out of the last five years (this is a rolling requirement and is not tied to the expiry date of your PR card). This means that on the date you return to Canada in 2020, you need to be able to look back at the immediate previous five years (i.e. 2015 to 2020) and have spent at least 2 years out of that 5 years in Canada. As long as you meet that requirement, your PR status is safe.

Reactions: Buletruck

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
In addition, CBSA won’t deny you entry or haul you away. You may be reported for RO, but as a PR, you are entitled to enter Canada. Deal with being reported if and when it happens. Bring lots of evidence as to why you didn’t return.