17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
Submitted with application
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
Hi!

I have an unused student TRV valid until 2015. I was supposed to go to Seneca but I want to study masters instead. Can I use the same visa if I start school in Fall 2014, and just renew it in 2015?

What do I do? Do I have to inform the embassy?

Kashif995

Aug 3, 2012
India
Visa Office......
Delhi - Online
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
schoolgirl22 said:
Hi!

I have an unused student TRV valid until 2015. I was supposed to go to Seneca but I want to study masters instead. Can I use the same visa if I start school in Fall 2014, and just renew it in 2015?

What do I do? Do I have to inform the embassy?
Was the Seneca program in which you're currently enrolled a Post Graduate program?
If yes, then you won't have to inform the embassy as you can change from College to University and vice-versa or as a matter of fact from any educational institution to other institution, if the level of the program (ie: Post Graduate in your case) is the same.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

You need not request for change in your study permit. Please read the following link carefully;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15

Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor’s to master’s), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.

What should u do is;

1. Obtain admission in another participating college/Uni (it must be in SPP list),
2. Inform Seneca about the same and they will transfer your fee to second college/Uni,
3. Ensure you have unconditional letter from college while entering Canada.

share which program you enrolled for in Seneca and your start date.

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Not required, submitted TOEFL ibt 110/120
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
sabby2612 said:
Hello,

You need not request for change in your study permit. Please read the following link carefully;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15

Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program and/or field of study without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
If you are changing your level of study (e.g., bachelor's to master's), you do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either.

What should u do is;

1. Obtain admission in another participating college/Uni (it must be in SPP list),
2. Inform Seneca about the same and they will transfer your fee to second college/Uni,
3. Ensure you have unconditional letter from college while entering Canada.

share which program you enrolled for in Seneca and your start date.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Here's the thing, I did not enroll. I got my visa even before I paid for the tuition. I just applied with my LOA. Is this still okay? So I'll present my new admission letter with the LOI that the embassy sent me?

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
Kashif995 said:
Was the Seneca program in which you're currently enrolled a Post Graduate program?
If yes, then you won't have to inform the embassy as you can change from College to University and vice-versa or as a matter of fact from any educational institution to other institution, if the level of the program (ie: Post Graduate in your case) is the same.

Here's the thing, I did not enroll. I got my visa even before I paid for the tuition. I just applied with my LOA. Is this still okay? So I'll present my new admission letter with the LOI that the embassy sent me?

(I'm sorry if I'm asking the exact same question. :( )

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
which country u from? and yeah of course you can apply to another college/uni and once you have valid letter of acceptance, you can visit without making any changes.

Kashif995

Aug 3, 2012
India
Visa Office......
Delhi - Online
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-06-2013
Med's Done....
22-11-2012
schoolgirl22 said:

(I'm sorry if I'm asking the exact same question. :( )
If you haven't paid your fees, that's good! Just pay the fees of the University, and join it. At the port of entry show the LOI and the offer letter from the university.

paritosh_thanki

Star Member
Jun 28, 2012
what if one wants to skip master or pg diploma to certificate course?
Is it possible after landing there? Is it legal?

One adviser told that can create negative impact on PR application.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@paritosh, it's legal, please read the link i updated in the same thread. yes you can change your college/uni level of study and it doesn't impact your PR chances. Consultants say so because once a student jumps from one college to another, they do not get the commission and they are just worried about their commission.

Cheers!

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
sabby2612 said:
which country u from? and yeah of course you can apply to another college/uni and once you have valid letter of acceptance, you can visit without making any changes.
Philippines. :) I'm actually in Toronto right now, staying for a month for vacation. I'm thinking of applying to Ryerson for fall 2014.

I also have a Visitor's TRV multiple entry valid until 2017. I was scared to enter the border because I thought I was going to be questioned for having an unused student TRV but the officer didn't even notice and just stamped my passport.

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
sabby2612 said:
I was supposed to start in Seneca for Winter 2013. Advanced Diploma in Supply Chain and Purchasing.

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
Kashif995 said:
If you haven't paid your fees, that's good! Just pay the fees of the University, and join it. At the port of entry show the LOI and the offer letter from the university.
Thank you so much! :)

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
okay i am also in Toronto, etobicoke. and what i told u earlier is the answer to your question which is you can enroll in another college/uni and use the same status of student... as you are already here, you can visit the college and ask for enrollment. I would suggest you take a tour via their and then join the uni...
http://www.ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admission/visit/tour.html

Cheers!

schoolgirl22

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-10-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Request
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
05-11-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2012
sabby2612 said:
okay i am also in Toronto, etobicoke. and what i told u earlier is the answer to your question which is you can enroll in another college/uni and use the same status of student... as you are already here, you can visit the college and ask for enrollment. I would suggest you take a tour via their and then join the uni...
http://www.ryerson.ca/undergraduate/admission/visit/tour.html

Cheers!
Thank you so much for your help! :) :) :) I was really scared that I'd have to apply for another study permit. What uni/college are you enrolled at?