+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have study permit but withdrew from course to transfer?

PGDota

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
I came to Waterloo on a student visa for an undergraduate program for Winter 2014. However, I found that the program I am enrolled in is not the one I want to continue. I want to with draw from the program and later apply for another graduate program for Winter/Fall 2015. I know that under the new regulations international students can change from one post-secondary institution to another without applying for a new study permit.

BUT- WHAT IF THERE IS A GAP IN BETWEEN CHANGING UNIVERSITIES WHEN THE STUDENT IS NOT ENROLLED IN A UNIVERSITY? Does this affect the visa status in any way?

If I withdraw from my current program and have gap of 6-8 months, will this affect my status in any way? Do I have to be currently enrolled in a university for my student visa and study permit to be valid?

Please help with this issue as I am very stressed over this.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

PGDota said:
I came to Waterloo on a student visa for an undergraduate program for Winter 2014. However, I found that the program I am enrolled in is not the one I want to continue. I want to with draw from the program and later apply for another graduate program for Winter/Fall 2015. I know that under the new regulations international students can change from one post-secondary institution to another without applying for a new study permit.

BUT- WHAT IF THERE IS A GAP IN BETWEEN CHANGING UNIVERSITIES WHEN THE STUDENT IS NOT ENROLLED IN A UNIVERSITY? Does this affect the visa status in any way?

If I withdraw from my current program and have gap of 6-8 months, will this affect my status in any way? Do I have to be currently enrolled in a university for my student visa and study permit to be valid?

Please help with this issue as I am very stressed over this.

After June 1st, if the gap is more than 90 days, your SP will be invalid automatically.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should secure a new admission before dropping out, then you update myCIC with new DLI and can dropout and wait for new program to start. Post secondary study permits are not school specific so you dont need a new one.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
You should secure a new admission before dropping out, then you update myCIC with new DLI and can dropout and wait for new program to start. Post secondary study permits are not school specific so you dont need a new one.
Bruh! This was 5 years ago