+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have PR card but have been out of canada for 3.5 years with Canadian spouse

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
Hi all,

As the subject says, I've been outside of Canada for almost 3.5 years. My PR card is up for renewal in June 2016. We do intend to move back to Canada eventually but there are two years left on my overseas contract.

I have been here in Philippines working and living with my Canadian spouse. I have read in some areas that this time counts towards the required two years. Is this true?

When I renew my card am I likely to have any problem? I am think of going back to Canada for a month (assuming work permits it). Does anyone have advice on this?

I appreciate in advance any advice. Thank you very much.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes you can renew your PR card.

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
ttrajan said:
Yes you can renew your PR card.
Thank you so much for your advice on this.

Is it a simple case of filling out the renewal form, or are there any additional steps I would need to take?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Check the check list for the PR card renewal.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scappa said:
When I renew my card am I likely to have any problem? I am think of going back to Canada for a month (assuming work permits it). Does anyone have advice on this?

I appreciate in advance any advice. Thank you very much.
Work permit is not an option because you have permanent resident status. Try to send the renewal application with your supporting documents from Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Work permit is not an option because you have permanent resident status. Try to send the renewal application with your supporting documents from Canada.
The OP means if his/her current employer allows the leave for 1 month.

AFAIK, the PR card will only be sent to a Canadian address.

scappa

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
TO
My employer would most likely allow me to have the time off to do this. It wasn't about a work permit, more about having the time to be in Canada to sort out the renewal.

Alternatively I could do it abroad and send it to our address in Canada which we maintain with all out utilities etc via my in-laws home address. I could then FedEx this to Asia. I don't think this is ideal, hence wishing to take a month back in Canada.