+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have crim record but CDN child

LittleOne79

Jul 31, 2019
Hi - I am Canadian and my husband is Aussie. We have been living in Australia for five years but want to come back to Canada. Hubby and I have a baby girl who was born in Australia. Hubby has a criminal record which in 2014 he got criminal rehabilitation so he could come to Canada but since then has gotten a DUI, amongst a few other driving charges. All this year :( is there anyway at all he can come to Canada? His daughter will be in Canada, is there some sort of compassionate grounds so that he could be with his child??

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Would suggest you speak to a lawyer about options. Off the top of my head, a TRP maybe? But a DUI is a big deal and the fact that he has incurred multiple driving related offences makes it look like he still has not learned his lesson which will go against him.

IMO, he has to wait until he can apply for rehabilitation for his new offences. I don’t see a compassionate ground as you all live together in a stable country. There is nothing in Canada that Australia cannot offer except for extended family members if that is the reason you want to move. That is not enough for any kind of compassionate grounds.

LittleOne79

Jul 31, 2019
I’m so unhappy here in Australia and hate being away from my family. I wonder if the kids and I arrived here first and then we applied for TRP after so he would be joining his family ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi - I am Canadian and my husband is Aussie. We have been living in Australia for five years but want to come back to Canada. Hubby and I have a baby girl who was born in Australia. Hubby has a criminal record which in 2014 he got criminal rehabilitation so he could come to Canada but since then has gotten a DUI, amongst a few other driving charges. All this year :( is there anyway at all he can come to Canada? His daughter will be in Canada, is there some sort of compassionate grounds so that he could be with his child??
If he has a recent DUI, then he is inadmissible to Canada. Assuming is BAC is 0.08 or more, this means he has to once again wait until 5 years have passed since he completes and fines / probation related to the DUI before once again applying for rehabilitation. Until then he will remain inadmissible.

His only option at this time is to apply for a TRP (temporary resident permit) to come to Canada temporarily as a visitor. This is a special permit for those who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada. Very hard to say what the chances are of the TRP being approved since he has more than just the DUI in his criminal past which will be considered in whether the TRP is approved. The multiple charges are problematic.

Maybe also time for him to re-visit his life choices? Maybe counselling of some sort might be a good idea for him?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I’m so unhappy here in Australia and hate being away from my family. I wonder if the kids and I arrived here first and then we applied for TRP after so he would be joining his family ?
Short answer is yes - you can certainly do that. However no guaranteed the TRP will be approved. So you need to have a plan for what you will do as a family if it's refused.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
I would also recommend seeking counsel from an experienced lawyer in these matters. I am not a lawyer, but on the face of it and from what I do know, it will probably be very difficult for your husband to be admitted into Canada. Unfortunately he (and you and your daughter) will have to live with the poor decisions from his past and while it may not seem 'fair' or 'right' to you as you are confronted with these issues, these are the policies of Canadian Immigration Law.

Personally, I am happy that Canada takes such a hard-line stance on impaired driving. I wish more could be done to prevent it, and the many unnecessary deaths caused by reckless individuals who get behind the wheel intoxicated.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I would also recommend seeking counsel from an experienced lawyer in these matters.
Yes, 100% agree. A good, reputable lawyer is recommended (hey this site is run by an immigration law firm!). This is a complex case with many hurdles. Good legal counsel is a must in this situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would also mention that TRP doesn’t allow him to work. If his income is necessary this is likely not an option unfortunately.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would also mention that TRP doesn’t allow him to work. If his income is necessary this is likely not an option unfortunately.
If the TRP granted is six months or longer, this gives the holder the ability to apply for an OWP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The fact that he already had a criminal record and had to apply for rehabilitation is a huge negative. It shows a pattern of criminality, not just a one-off. The fact that the DUI is this year is also a huge negative. He is a higher risk to offend in Canada. Given the criminal pattern and the seriousness of DUI in Canada, I would expect pretty much no chance of a TRP being approved. His reason in wanting to be with you and the child dies not trump the responsibility of the government to protect Canadians from threats such as drunk drivers.

As said by others, if you want even the smallest chnace of approval, get a good lawyer.

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
When you have a child you would think taking extra precautions not breaking any laws for the sake on someone's family, specially when you have plans to move in another Country that has strict immigration laws. I would think that your child is also a Canadian citizen now? This is all so sad for you and it's not your fault. Your husband could try other means in trying to secure a visa but it will be hard considering his recent driving charges. I'm sure their could be hope, take the suggestions and get a good lawyer, I see hope since you have a child and it's also Canadian;) Good Luck!