+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have Canadian work permit; border crossing question

Ebeelpekan

Mar 7, 2019
My husband and I (US citizens) have been in Ontario since January 2019 (through his job transfer; I was able to obtain my own work permit). I took a temporary job in NY state unfortunately right before the border closing in March and haven’t been back to my home in Ontario since (I am leaving this job now). Is it possible for me to gain entry with my permit or if I secured a job in Ontario? My husband is in the process of applying for his PR, but nothing will be finalized until next year.

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
As a work permit holder, your travel would be considered essential if you normally live in Canada or have a job here; as the spouse of a work permit holder, your travel would be considered essential if you are coming to live with your husband.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As a work permit holder, your travel would be considered essential if you normally live in Canada or have a job here; as the spouse of a work permit holder, your travel would be considered essential if you are coming to live with your husband.
Disagree that a joining a souse on a WP is considered essential. You will need to get special authorization to join your spouse or proof that you already have a job in Canada .

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Disagree that a joining a souse on a WP is considered essential. You will need to get special authorization to join your spouse or proof that you already have a job in Canada .

The website states:
If you’re travelling from the US to reunite with an immediate family member who is in Canada temporarily, you must provide evidence that your travel is non-discretionary, such as to live with your spouse, common-law partner or family member.

You do not need written authorization from IRCC if travelling to Canada from the US.
To me it seems pretty clear if OP is coming from the US to live full-time with their spouse, their travel is likely essential and no written authorization is needed.

daniel_1

Aug 21, 2020
On the same boat. My lawyer confirmed that traveling from the US with a open work permit would be considered as essential. I sent an email to CBSA but they refused to answer this kind of quesitons. We have to try I guess.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
On the same boat. My lawyer confirmed that traveling from the US with a open work permit would be considered as essential. I sent an email to CBSA but they refused to answer this kind of quesitons. We have to try I guess.
Do you have a job offer?

daniel_1

Aug 21, 2020
Do you have a job offer?
Not me, my wife. I'm working in Canada right now. She's qutting her job to move to Canada in Jan. She's on a open work permit without a job offer. We have a co-signed lease for a year. That's the only thing I can think of to prove the travel is essential. The Autherization letter is not needed, so the problem is how to prove the travel is essential, which is fully defined by a border officer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not me, my wife. I'm working in Canada right now. She's qutting her job to move to Canada in Jan. She's on a open work permit without a job offer. We have a co-signed lease for a year. That's the only thing I can think of to prove the travel is essential. The Autherization letter is not needed, so the problem is how to prove the travel is essential, which is fully defined by a border officer.
Applying for authorization would have given her an idea if she should quit her job.