+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Have American passport / no Canadian passport - what do you carry when returning to Canada to prove Canadian citizenship?

bimmerm3m5

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Hi All,

Just curious what the experience is for dual citizen American/Canadian folks that don't have a Canadian passport.
  1. Have you ever faced any issue by not having a Canadian passport?
  2. What kind of documentation do you carry to prove Canadian citizenship?
It wouldn't seem wise to carry the Certificate of Canadian citizenship, but presumably a NEXUS card would be ideal?

From the official website, this seems like a unique situation among these types of dual citizens:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife is dual and she has been told a few times to always use US passport entering US. And always use Canadian passport when entering Canada. Once she was told she could face a fine if she did not use the right one. Not sure if that is legitimate or not.

bimmerm3m5

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
I don't think there would be a fine, but the experience you are mentioning, seems to line up with general experiences I've found online. Perhaps likely to encounter a lot of uneducated customs officers (on this topic) who won't look kindly to this setup.

This article seems to lay out the proper use of having 2 passports:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dual-citizenship-how-travel-safely-multiple-passports-nuccio-cpc/

I guess the answer here is to go for the additional passport to avoid issues "down the road".

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
I have asked this question on this forum before and it doesn't seem like there's a very clear answer on what would happen if you tried to enter Canada with a US passport. My guess is, it could also depend on how you got your citizenship. I imagine if you've recently had your oath but just didn't receive the certificate yet, it won't be hard for the immigration officer at the border to verify that information. But if you have your citizenship, say, by birth or by descent, that'll be much harder to verify.

I guess the only way to find out is to hear from someone who tried to do this...

Reactions: bimmerm3m5

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have asked this question on this forum before and it doesn't seem like there's a very clear answer on what would happen if you tried to enter Canada with a US passport. My guess is, it could also depend on how you got your citizenship. I imagine if you've recently had your oath but just didn't receive the certificate yet, it won't be hard for the immigration officer at the border to verify that information. But if you have your citizenship, say, by birth or by descent, that'll be much harder to verify.

I guess the only way to find out is to hear from someone who tried to do this...
Let's be clear, there are two issues - one is boarding the plane to Canada, and it seems usually that's fine with US passport. (Note, I'm avoiding discussing covid stuff, dont' follow)

Second is entering Canada - you should present/identify yourself as a Canadian citizen. In fact I believe 'must' - you have to tell the truth and enter as a citizen.

It's okay to show US passport as photo id (name date of birth etc purposes)- nothign wrong with having dual citizenship. And yes, if you have something - anything - that shows you have / had citizenship docs issued by iRCC (expired passport, citizenship cert or card, photocopies of same), that will help a lot.

You can show other stuff like birth certificate that shows you are/were almost certainly citizen at birth, and other supporting id if possible. That should work. If they are satisifed you're a citizen, they 'must' let you in - but note that formulation leaves a lot of wiggle room.

But it doesn't mean the border officer is going to like it in either case. Maybe understandable for a newborn or if there's some other mitigating factor - passport lost or something - that's a one-off. (Having applied for one is good supporting, too)

Time to apply for a passport. There's really no good reason not to, even if it takes a while.

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
But it doesn't mean the border officer is going to like it in either case.
There's a difference between a grumpy officer and an officer who's allowed/required to issue a fine in this case. It's my understanding that if you tried to enter the US on a non-US passport, you'll be fined. The question about Canada is less clear. Maybe there's a lawyer here on the forum who knows.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There's a difference between a grumpy officer and an officer who's allowed/required to issue a fine in this case. It's my understanding that if you tried to enter the US on a non-US passport, you'll be fined. The question about Canada is less clear. Maybe there's a lawyer here on the forum who knows.
I don't know about USA. I have read for Canada that the key is you must enter as a Canadian citizen - and that this includes telling them at border you are a citizen and showing what you have, even if not a passport.

Or in other words, that doing it this way is NOT the same as 'entering on a foreign passport.' You're entering as a citizen; the fact that you have (or even show) another passport is not the same thing.

Again, I don't know about USA - I believe the context in which I've heard that you can get fined is basically using your foreign passport to enter the USA. Or in other words, misrepresenting that you are (not) a US citizen. Which sounds a lot like the Canadian situation. But I am NOT suggesting this and have generally heard they are more strict about it.

Reactions: lingow

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Regarding Port-of-Entry examinations (not regulations governing commercial transportation for example, like requirements to possess and present specific types of documents to obtain approval to board an international commercial airline flight) for persons with both U.S. and Canadian citizenship:

Overall:

U.S. border officials expect U.S. citizens to identify themselves as U.S. citizens and accordingly present documentation showing their U.S. citizenship (typically a U.S. passport but for land travel across the U.S. border, for example, there are alternative documents, such as some states' enhanced drivers licenses, that will suffice). Likewise for Canadian citizens arriving at a Port-of-Entry (PoE) into Canada, border officials expect Canadians to accordingly present documentation as to their Canadian status (for citizens, their passport but with similar allowances for some alternative identification documents when traveling by land).

Thus, depending on the individual's planned or anticipated travel, a passport might not be necessary since some travel between the U.S. and Canada can be adequately facilitated by having other forms of enhanced identification. I am not sure what the eligibility requirements are for the various versions of enhanced identification, except the obvious: to have a particular U.S. state's enhanced drivers' license, for example, of course the individual needs to be a resident of that state.

The best approach is to simply have a passport from both countries. Both issue ten year passports now, so this is not a particularly onerous burden for those who travel internationally. This allows an individual the most flexibility and will accommodate international travel generally by all modes of transportation. (That is, including meeting regulations governing commercial transportation.)

But again, depending on the individual's planned or anticipated travel, enhanced identification for the country in which they reside and a passport from the other country could easily meet an individual's needs if they are only traveling between the U.S. and Canada.

BEYOND THAT (beyond the general expectation of officials that individual's who are citizens of that country identify themselves as a citizen and present documentation accordingly):

Experience and anecdotal reporting tends to indicate, for individuals who are both a U.S. and a Canadian citizen, the U.S. is typically more strict in PoE examinations than Canada. That does not mean there is a fine or other penalty for failing to present a U.S. passport when applying for entry into the U.S. UNLESS there is some other particular grounds for imposing a penalty . . . like making misrepresentations.

Some key reminders are relevant here:
-- just showing up at the PoE constitutes making an application to enter . . . this is true for both Canada and the U.S.​
-- misrepresentation by omission is a real thing, so presenting a Canadian passport (and not a U.S. passport) to the border official in the PIL (Primary Inspection Line) at the PoE when applying for entry into the U.S. could be construed to be a misrepresentation as to nationality for an individual who is a U.S. citizen​

The latter demands further explanation. Remember, the law in both the U.S. and Canada does not formally or officially recognize dual citizenship. Having more than one citizenship is not prohibited by either the U.S. or Canadian law. And both governments, and in particular those who work in border control and immigration, respectively, are well aware that many individuals have multiple citizenships, meaning citizenship in more than one country. Online information posted by the Canadian government sometimes even refers to "dual citizens," referring to individuals who have citizenship in at least two countries (some have citizenship in more than two countries). This is mostly a nod to the common nomenclature, using language most people readily understand, but in the law itself there is no such thing as a "dual citizen" (again, referring to U.S. and Canadian law; other countries may officially recognize dual citizenship).

Generally travelers are required to disclose their "nationality" when making an application to enter the U.S. or Canada. How specifically this is asked seems to vary, but appears to vary more so at the Canadian PoE than a U.S. PoE. That is, the U.S. tends to be far more consistent in asking a direct question about the traveler's nationality or citizenship. This is where the formalities of the law, and the fact that "dual citizenship" is not recognized in the law, kicks in. The U.S. does not recognize citizenship in any other country than the U.S. if the individual is a U.S. citizen. And yep, some U.S. border officials can be downright authoritarian in how they interpret and apply this.

If a U.S. citizen presents a Canadian passport, for example, when asked to show documentation (language used in the question varies), that can be understood to be deceptive, a misrepresentation as to nationality, remembering the U.S. border official (generally) will not formally recognize the traveler is a Canadian citizen. So it will generally be better if the traveler responds saying something like "I am a U.S. citizen but I do not have a U.S. passport" and then offers alternative identification, which could be their Canadian passport, BUT probably better to show some other form of identification first and a Canadian passport only if asked. NOT a good idea to tell the official "I am also a Canadian citizen" (unless asked a question for which this is the appropriate response), because, again, so far as the U.S. law is concerned, which is what the U.S. border official is applying, if you are a U.S. citizen, the U.S. law does not recognize you are also a Canadian citizen (note, for example, for a Canadian citizen who is also a U.S. citizen and who is detained in the U.S., the authorities there do not need to give the Canadian access to the Canadian consulate, since again the U.S. does not recognize that a U.S. citizen also has Canadian citizenship).

Technically it is very much the same coming into Canada EXCEPT, again, experience and anecdotal reporting suggests that it is unusual for Canadian border officials to make an issue of this. In fact, so far as I have seen, it is rare for Canadian PoE officials to make an issue of it when a Canadian citizen presents a U.S. passport.

Been there, going both ways, and seen the difference. And what I saw was fairly consistent with anecdotal reporting. And consistent with the law, albeit much more strictly interpreted and applied by the U.S. (so it seems) than Canada.

Final Observation: also seen, and it too was consistent with anecdotal reporting, that travelers upfront with U.S. border officials about being a U.S. citizen but not in possession of a U.S. passport (or alternative enhanced identification), not encountering one of the more authoritarian U.S. officials, are typically and politely admonished to get and have a U.S. passport the next time.

Last edited:

lingow

Dec 30, 2020
Thank you, @dpenabill. To summarize your post in fewer words, what I think you're saying is, "we don't really know for sure, but you'll probably be ok if you're truthful, especially when entering Canada".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

Just curious what the experience is for dual citizen American/Canadian folks that don't have a Canadian passport.
It wouldn't seem wise to carry the Certificate of Canadian citizenship, but presumably a NEXUS card would be ideal?

From the official website, this seems like a unique situation among these types of dual citizens:

Exception: If you are an American-Canadian dual citizen with a valid U.S. passport, you don’t need a Canadian passport to fly to Canada. However, you still need to carry proper identification and meet the basic requirements to enter Canada.
You definitely need to carry something that proves Canadian citizenship. My husband is a dual citizen, travels a lot, and is asked for this each time. He finds it easiest to travel with a Canadian passport for entering Canada (he always carries both his CAN and US passport).

Did you click on the links in the info you quoted in your original post above? The details on what's accepted (in lieu of a passport) are there.

From the links:

Acceptable documents to denote identity and citizenship
Upon arrival at a Canadian port of entry, travellers must satisfy a CBSA border services officer (BSO) that they meet the requirements for entry into Canada. For Canadian citizens, permanent residents and persons registered under the Indian Act, this can be done through questioning and through verifying documentation such as a:
  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • permanent residence card
  • citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS) card or valid Certificate of Indian Status (CIS) card
If you do not have a passport, and are returning to Canada, the following documents can denote identity and citizenship:
  • NEXUS card, held by a Canadian citizen, when entering Canada by air (when coming from the U.S.), land, or marine modes
  • FAST card (Free and Secure Trade), issued to a Canadian citizen (when arriving by land or marine modes only)
  • Canadian emergency travel document
  • Canadian temporary passport
  • Certificate of Canadian citizenship (issued from 1954 to present)
  • Enhanced driver's license issued by a Canadian province or territory
  • Enhanced identification/photo card issued by a Canadian province or territory
Permanent residents of Canada who are members of the NEXUS or FAST programs must travel with a passport and proof of permanent residence, and may be asked to present these documents to the officer upon arrival at the border.

Other acceptable documents for establishing Canadian citizenship
The following documents may be used to establish Canadian citizenship. Upon presentation by travellers, the documents should be supported by other government issued photo identification:

• Certificate of Canadian citizenship (large form issued between January 1, 1947, to February 14, 1977)
  • Certificate of retention (issued between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977)
  • Certificate of naturalization (issued before January 1, 1947)
  • Registration of birth abroad certificate (issued between January 1, 1947, and February 14, 1977, by Canadian citizenship authorities)
  • Provincial or territorial birth certificate (individuals born in Canada)
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#s1-1

Reactions: armoured and lingow

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

One more quick comment... For the Nexus card, make sure you update the card to reflect the change to Canadian citizen status (from PR) before using it to travel in any way (including entering the US). If you're traveling before you've had a chance to update, do not use the Nexus card in any way. This went the wrong way for a friend of mine and he's going through some sort of painful review to try to get status back. It's pretty much a zero tolerance system.

bimmerm3m5

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Did you click on the links in the info you quoted in your original post above? The details on what's accepted (in lieu of a passport) are there.
One more quick comment... For the Nexus card, make sure you update the card to reflect the change to Canadian citizen status (from PR) before using it to travel in any way (including entering the US). If you're traveling before you've had a chance to update, do not use the Nexus card in any way. This went the wrong way for a friend of mine and he's going through some sort of painful review to try to get status back. It's pretty much a zero tolerance system.
In response to your above question, yes, I did read that list, but I feel like Canada is limited in what you can realistically travel (frequently) with. For example, the US has passport CARD's, but Canada got rid of Citizenship cards in favor of citizenship certficates (full size paper form). So, really Nexus would be best.

Totally agree with your comment regarding updating the NEXUS status, the risk of losing NEXUS, and their crazy zero-tolerance policies. I almost lost mine when trying to do some work for my job on a laptop, during a NEXUS office visit to update something with my card in YYZ! You really have to be very careful with NEXUS. I often don't use mine when driving over the border in fear of forgetting to claim something.

Thank you, @dpenabill. To summarize your post in fewer words, what I think you're saying is, "we don't really know for sure, but you'll probably be ok if you're truthful, especially when entering Canada".
@lingow, thanks for the TLDR. Seems like there are too many potential troubles by not carrying 2 passports, and it's best to understand proper use when dealing with specific borders.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Totally agree with your comment regarding updating the NEXUS status, the risk of losing NEXUS, and their crazy zero-tolerance policies. I almost lost mine when trying to do some work for my job on a laptop, during a NEXUS office visit to update something with my card in YYZ! You really have to be very careful with NEXUS. I often don't use mine when driving over the border in fear of forgetting to claim something.
I feel you. My husband almost lost his because he forgot about one single granola bar in his backpack. We declare food each time now just in case.