+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have been working for the same company for 1 year and a half for the same company however the first 6 months were a third party employer work permit ( recruitment for my current company) does it count for a full time one year, while is mentioning the work permit? It can be a stupid question, but I feel I made a mistake when I received my ITA 11 months and 20 days previous turning to a year for the employer mentioned in my work permit. could someone with similar experience give me an insight about this? should I decline my ITA?
If you are are talking about the 1 year of experience for being eligible, there is no continuity requirement and you can combine the experience of both "jobs" (for the first 6 months, you had a different employer).

The issue being discussed in this thread is eligibility to claim valid offer of employment (for at least one year after becoming a PR) for CRS points. If you are not claiming that, you do not need to worry about the "one year with the same employer" issue.

Fergie_shalom

Jan 5, 2021
Hi,

I got invited and I am filling out the work history part, section intended work in Canada, I answered 'Yes' under valid job offer and this generated many other questions. One of them is "Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)"

The question sounds ambiguous to me. I have a Young Professional permit (LMIA exempt and closed one year work permit) And I have worked for my current employer over a year on 2 different permits. For the current one I worked for my employer for 7 months.

Do I have to work for my employer for at least one year on the current permit, or does the employer just has to be mentioned on my current permit and in general I have to have worked for him at least one year.

I hope you can see where my confusion is coming from. Let me know what you suggest. Can I answer "Yes" and clarify in LOE??
Hi,

I sincerely hope that you obtained your PR :). I'm facing a similar issue. I just completed my express entry profile. I claimed valid job offer points and I hope I did it correctly. Let me explain my Canadian Work Experience:

I have been working for the same company as a full-time Programs Assistant since June 2018 with Open Work Permit status. In January 2020 I got a promotion as a Programs Coordinator, and the same employer changed my visa status from Open Work Permit to Close Work Permit LMIA exempt. My close work permit is valid between 2019 June -2022 June. Should I respond to the question: Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part-time work?)" YES or NO?

I would very much appreciate it if you share your own experience with this part.

Best,
Fergie

Fergie_shalom

Jan 5, 2021
100% sure. Because of the wording elsewhere -

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
BTW - also a native speaker : )

I asked this question to my lawyer and he replied to me that:

Pursuant to section 29(2)(a)(iii) of the Ministerial Instructions (MIs) respecting to the Express Entry System, there does not exist a requirement that you must wait to accumulate one year of work on a closed work permit.

Here is the relevant section of the MIs for your reference:

Qualifying offer of arranged employment

(2) A qualifying offer of employment is one of the following:

(iii) the foreign national holds a valid work permit issued under the circumstances described in paragraph 204(a) or (c) or section 205 of the Regulations, the offer is made by an employer who is specified on the work permit and the foreign national works for that employer and has accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, over a continuous period of work in Canada for that employer

YoshiNora

Oct 4, 2022
Hi,

I got invited and I am filling out the work history part, section intended work in Canada, I answered 'Yes' under valid job offer and this generated many other questions. One of them is "Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?)"

The question sounds ambiguous to me. I have a Young Professional permit (LMIA exempt and closed one year work permit) And I have worked for my current employer over a year on 2 different permits. For the current one I worked for my employer for 7 months.

Do I have to work for my employer for at least one year on the current permit, or does the employer just has to be mentioned on my current permit and in general I have to have worked for him at least one year.

I hope you can see where my confusion is coming from. Let me know what you suggest. Can I answer "Yes" and clarify in LOE??
Hi,

I am in kind of the same scenario as yours. Can you please help me to answer this?

I have completed my 1-year experience (Full Time) in company "A" under PGWP (NOC A). The same company "A" gave me an LMIA exempt close work permit recently for another 2 years. Do I have to work another 1 year under the same company "A" to get 50 points or I can claim it now since I already qualify for CEC under the same company on PGWP? I am not sure how to answer the below question. If I answer Yes, I get 50 points added. Looking forward to a response.

Has XXXX been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?) Yes/No

rshangle

Star Member
Jan 21, 2021
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi,

I am in kind of the same scenario as yours. Can you please help me to answer this?

I have completed my 1-year experience (Full Time) in company "A" under PGWP (NOC A). The same company "A" gave me an LMIA exempt close work permit recently for another 2 years. Do I have to work another 1 year under the same company "A" to get 50 points or I can claim it now since I already qualify for CEC under the same company on PGWP? I am not sure how to answer the below question. If I answer Yes, I get 50 points added. Looking forward to a response.

Has XXXX been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year? (Or for an equal amount of part time work?) Yes/No
No, you cannot claim the 50 points as you have to be working for the same employer for 1 year under the LMIA exempt closed WP.

Reactions: YoshiNora
Jul 19, 2018
Hi,Post my graduation I have been working in Canada since May 2020.
I was issued PGWP which expired on July 2022.
So In July 2022 my employer applied for a LMIA and a closed work permit on my behalf.

For the following question -> Has X been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?
Do I answer this as 'Yes' or 'No'?
Since I was worked with same employer for more than a year but when I started working I was PGWP and then switched to closed work permit which was issued in August 2022 so technically not a year.

Reactions: PRkabhooka

PRkabhooka

Mar 22, 2024
100% sure. Because of the wording elsewhere -

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html

if you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
  • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
  • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer
  • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa
BTW - also a native speaker : )
I am in the same situation as the OP of this post. I have 3 years of experience on Open work permit (PGWP) and I just got my Closed LMIA Exempt work permit with the same employeer and position a month ago. Can anyone please give any updates? There are mixed answers given in this post and all over the net. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated .