+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone landed to India without surrendering Indian Passport ?

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
I got my Canadian Passport before a month and I am going to take eVisa from my Canadian Passport. But I have not surrendered Indian Passport yet as I dont have time to get the Surrendered certificate (as it takes 2-3 weeks). So if I show in India my Canadian passport and eVisa on my Canadian passport and keep Indian passport in my pocket then would it be fine ? Or would I face some issue ?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Are you able to apply for an e-visa to India before surrendering your Indian passport? just curious as to whether you will be issued a tourist visa to India when you’re technically still an Indian citizen.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Are you able to apply for an e-visa to India before surrendering your Indian passport? just curious as to whether you will be issued a tourist visa to India when you’re technically still an Indian citizen.
Yes you are able to for an e visa.
Actually, it is strange.
On one hand, the govt says it is illegal to hold on to your Indian passport after obtaining foreign passport . On the other hand, they DO NOT penalize you for holding on to Indian passport for up to
3 years.

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=surrender_certificate

Last edited:

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Have you seen or known anyone who went to India without surrendering Indian passport and did anything happened in immigration ?
Sorry to jump in but I would not imagine anything would happen at immigration if you enter with an Indian visa on a Canada passport without cancelling your IND passport.
The reason is like I said on my post above with a CGI toronto link;
they let you hold on to your Indian passport for 3 years without penalty.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
Sorry to jump in but I would not imagine anything would happen at immigration if you enter with an Indian visa on a Canada passport without cancelling your IND passport.
The reason is like I said on my post above with a CGI toronto link;
they let you hold on to your Indian passport for 3 years without penalty.

Can I go to India and surrender the passport then ?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Yes you are able to for an e visa.
Actually, it is strange.
On one hand, the govt says it is illegal to hold on to your Indian passport after obtaining foreign passport . On the other hand, they DO NOT penalize you for holding on to Indian passport for up to
3 years.

https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/eoi.php?id=surrender_certificate
And it gets more confusing because it says there will be a penalty for using the passport after 3 months. The 3 month grace period that people here keep trying to exploit is only if you are unable to acquire a passport from your new citizenship.
So I assume the 3 year penalty is for fees and they probably go up the longer you hold on to your passport. Bizarre.

sahil7789

Sep 4, 2019
I am no authority just a guy like you expressing my opinion from info gleaned from the web.
Yeah i understand, was just curious if you knew someone who went to india without surrendering indian passport. or surrendered indian passport in india.

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
Yeah i understand, was just curious if you knew someone who went to india without surrendering indian passport. or surrendered indian passport in india.
No, sorry, I don't know anyone.
By the way, do you also plan to apply for OCI in India?

hardnut

Aug 23, 2018
Brampton, ON
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
New Delhi, IND
App. Filed.......
11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-2011
LANDED..........
10-2011
no, not staying there that long.
Then, You should call the troronto consulate and ask them .
tell them you don't have time to surrender and do OCI. you will surrender and do OCI when you return.