+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone else gotten out of Heathrow (layover) with their PR card?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
I have booked a flight home with London as my layover. Just want to know if it's really as simple as showing your PR card to get out of Heathrow?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have booked a flight home with London as my layover. Just want to know if it's really as simple as showing your PR card to get out of Heathrow?
Do you mean transit or you would be going through British immigration, exit the airport and get some fresh air?

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Is home Canada if PR? Check the UK website about layovers. If transiting, should not be an issue. If leaving the airport, then whether you need a visa depends on the country of citizenship.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Do you mean transit or you would be going through British immigration, exit the airport and get some fresh air?
Exiting the airport. I am stopping over in London for 15 hours and leaving on the same day to India (I'm Indian). I have a PR. On here (https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/yes), I selected I would be passing through border control (You always pass through border control if you:
leave the main airport building for any reason)

It said:

Transiting without a visa
You may be eligible to transit without a visa if:
  • you arrive and depart by air
  • have a confirmed onward flight that leaves on the day you arrive or before midnight on the day after you arrive
  • have the right documents for your destination (eg a visa for that country)
One of the following must also apply:
  • you have a permanent residence permit issued by Canada on or after 28 June 2002

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry! Home is India. From my understanding of this (https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/india/transit/somewhere_else/yes) I should be able to leave the airport given that I have the PR?
That is for transiting. Transiting is not leaving the secure area. You get off the plane and then go to your next flight. You want to leave the airport so leave immigration and then re-enter. That is based on country of citizenship. So you need to change your answers as you are leaving the airport so you say leaving as a visitor.

Reactions: steaky

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
That is for transiting. Transiting is not leaving the secure area. You get off the plane and then go to your next flight. You want to leave the airport so leave immigration and then re-enter. That is based on country of citizenship. So you need to change your answers as you are leaving the airport so you say leaving as a visitor.
I understand but why does the questionnaire ask if I'm passing border control when I select transit and mentions leaving the airport? Granted if I select yes, it says I need a visitor in transit visa, but it also says I'm exempt since I'm traveling from Canada, hold a PR and arrive and will depart on the same day.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-visitor-transit-without-visa-scheme
https://www.reddit.com/r/ukvisa/comments/12sp32j
Just very confused by all this. I will probably apply for the visitor visa just to be safe but I would also prefer to save money if I don't actually need it.

vkamath

Nov 30, 2022
I am an Indian Citizen and I have transited via Heathrow airport you do not need to cross border control of UK and you do not need a Visa if you have a Canadian PR/Visa or US Visa.

Now if go out of the transit area you will need to cross border control and then depending upon the country of your citizenship you will need a Vist Visa.

If your purpose is just transit dont get confused save money dont get a visa. If you have a Canadian PR

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
I would like to get out of the airport.

Immigration rules for Visa Nationals transiting the UK landside without a visa.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-visitor-transit-without-visa-scheme

Based on the info I've got:

The TWOV appendix quoted above is for persons who will be entering the UK -- in other words, passing border control (as mentioned in the questionnaire) and free to move about the country though subject to practical limitations, such as being on a departing flight by 23:59 the next day.

The UK immigration rules recognise two types of ‘layovers’:
  • Airside – when you do not pass through UK immigration control for your connecting journey
  • Landside – when you do pass through UK border control, but return shortly (usually within 24 hours) to leave the UK
Airside, as a general rule, cannot involve leaving the airport, while landside can.

Based on the TWOV scheme, I believe there is no need to apply for any visa provided I meet the requirements listen in the appendix which I do.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
For anyone else wondering, I was able to get out of Heathrow without a visa. I didn't even say anything. Just went to the officer, showed my passport and PR card, she asked a few questions like where I work, how I got my PR, what I plan on doing and when my departing flight was. She did seem a bit confused but asked her colleague who was seated next to her. Ultimately, she stamped my passport and let me go through. Process took 3 mins at most. Was able to get out, explore London and meet my friends after years :)

I should have just trusted my gut and what was actually written on the UK Gov website instead of getting conflicting answers online.

vmadhavm

Oct 4, 2023
For anyone else wondering, I was able to get out of Heathrow without a visa. I didn't even say anything. Just went to the officer, showed my passport and PR card, she asked a few questions like where I work, how I got my PR, what I plan on doing and when my departing flight was. She did seem a bit confused but asked her colleague who was seated next to her. Ultimately, she stamped my passport and let me go through. Process took 3 mins at most. Was able to get out, explore London and meet my friends after years :)

I should have just trusted my gut and what was actually written on the UK Gov website instead of getting conflicting answers online.

Did you have to pick up your checked in baggage or you can just leave airport with hand luggage and just pass through security for your onward flight when you are done with your visit in London?

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Did you have to pick up your checked in baggage or you can just leave airport with hand luggage and just pass through security for your onward flight when you are done with your visit in London?
No, it was transferred to my next flight. I just left with a backpack.

lukeortolani

Apr 5, 2019
Toronto
Awesome , you saved me a lot of trouble!
Np! Are you gonna use the program? I'd recommend taking a copy of the UK gov guidelines on the TWOV just in case your border force officer is unaware of the program.

While I had no problem the first time, the second time using it while coming back to Canada, my border force officer was grumpy and argumentative. Seemed intent on not letting me through but in the end, he decided to stamp my passport and let me through. I don't think he was fully aware of the program.

vmadhavm

Oct 4, 2023
Ohh thanks for letting me know. Will surely take a print out. Would you mind providing me the correct link. Also after landing at LHR , should i directly proceed to airport exit or Immigration? Could you provide brief directions please.