+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone crossed the border yet for Fall20 semester?

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
If so, did you have final study permit approval or were you able to do it with AIP? Any info greatly appreciated.

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
Pretty sure you can’t travel without a visa on your passport (which I have heard they aren’t doing).
It sounded like entry was exempted from the US if the reason was for an essential purpose and that studying was deemed to be an essential purpose. AIP letters specifically state "While you await a final decision on your application you may commence your studies online". If one is not able to begin classes online due to reasons such as lack of appropriate internet connectivity (one example), and has a residence in Canada (in my particular case, a new residence and lease that began August 1st) I thought this was where Border Agents were using discretion based on the totality of the individual's circumstances?

mn1999

Aug 21, 2018
Thats not what I was informed of! Maybe try contacting the Canadian Border Services and ask them if they would!
I know a few people who flew back (had their permits issued before 18th March infact) and were returned back so its always safer to call first!

Reactions: GradStudent18

LawMom20

Jul 17, 2020
Thats not what I was informed of! Maybe try contacting the Canadian Border Services and ask them if they would!
I know a few people who flew back (had their permits issued before 18th March infact) and were returned back so its always safer to call first!
I've been trying. :) I'm sure they are absolutely swamped with all of the COVID-related policies and procedures though. I will keep trying. Nothing else to do really :)

mn1999

Aug 21, 2018
I've been trying. :) I'm sure they are absolutely swamped with all of the COVID-related policies and procedures though. I will keep trying. Nothing else to do really :)
I would suggest calling - they are super responsive (though the wait times around 20 minutes)

JodyA

Aug 16, 2020
It sounded like entry was exempted from the US if the reason was for an essential purpose and that studying was deemed to be an essential purpose. AIP letters specifically state "While you await a final decision on your application you may commence your studies online". If one is not able to begin classes online due to reasons such as lack of appropriate internet connectivity (one example), and has a residence in Canada (in my particular case, a new residence and lease that began August 1st) I thought this was where Border Agents were using discretion based on the totality of the individual's circumstances?
I am so tempted to try this at the Peace Bridge border (Buffalo/Niagara Falls). So if you do, please let me know how it goes.

GradStudent18

Nov 11, 2019
Hello! Could you please advise on why some people were asked to go back even after having an approval before March 18th? What reasons did the CBSA give please ?

And were they sent back even though they had the "travel support letter" from the college saying their presence is mandatory?

Your help & advice is greatly needed, please ! Thanks a ton in advance!!!

mn1999

Aug 21, 2018
Hello! Could you please advise on why some people were asked to go back even after having an approval before March 18th? What reasons did the CBSA give please ?

And were they sent back even though they had the "travel support letter" from the college saying their presence is mandatory?

Your help & advice is greatly needed, please ! Thanks a ton in advance!!!
Hi. They were told that their travel was not considered 'essential' at the time.