+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone applied SIN number by mail?

asdfgty

Star Member
Sep 28, 2019
Hello everyone,

I recently landed in Canada on March 16, 2020 as a PR and then returned back to the USA. I am planning to spend the whole summer in Canada, so I will need the SIN number. However, all the Service Canada offices are closed due to the coronavirus.

So I am thinking about applying for SIN number by mail. Has anyone done that before and how long does it take usually? Thanks!

rxsialk

Mar 13, 2020
I'm curious about the same thing. The thing about applying by mail is that, they ask for original documents, which I think it's a bit dangerous.. it can take weeks to process the application, living without a passport AND the CoPR doesn't sound very secure, not to mention the risk of losing them on the way...

They also provide online application, but the website doesn't seem to work... If anyone has gone through the online application process, it would be highly appreciated to share the experience..

TejalS

Feb 27, 2020
In the same boat. Sending original documents like passport sounds risky. Plus Service Canada doesn’t take any responsibility for it. If someone knows about online application please guide.

TejalS

Feb 27, 2020
I call Center person for Service Canada told me that at this point they’re only servicing urgent requests if sent in by mail. Not sure if this is urgent. It’s so confusing.

Pinky2587

Star Member
Jun 27, 2018
Hi Pinky,

Glad to know that you applied for SIN using the online service. What did you provide as proof of address ? I think as a new immigrant , we wont have any available. Just curious
I have been living in Canada for the past 5 years (International Student/PGWP) so I have an existing address here and I need to get a new SIN when my PR got approved... now I am not sure if my online application went through... It seems to me that was just their trial process and still haven't got any response from them...

Last edited:

NovaScotiaMX

Dec 16, 2019
I have been living in Canada for the past 5 years (International Student/PGWP) so I have an existing address here and I need to get a new SIN when my PR got approved... now I am not sure if my online application went through... It seems to me that was just their trial process and still haven't got any response from them...
Hi @Pinky2587 When did you receive the PR?