+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone applied for co-op housing in Vancouver?

smr21

Jan 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Missassauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
Doc's Request.
05-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
Med's Done....
01-12-2016
Hey everyone -

So, I have my PR card, and we are set to move (from the US) to Vancouver. Planning on arriving in Vancouver in early December. My spouse (dual Citizen) grew up in a co-op in Vancouver, and we've been looking into co-ops as places to live. Has anyone applied to a co-op before actually landing? Did you have any issues? Any advice?

The applications all ask for your address, where you've lived the last several years, etc and I'm worried about how our application will look since we aren't actually in Canada yet. Would love to hear any experiences.

Cheers and thank you!

smr21

Jan 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Missassauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
Doc's Request.
05-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
Med's Done....
01-12-2016
Thanks for the reply foodie69. I've done a lot of research into them already, and have started filling out applications. Just wondering how it looks if you apply from out of country. For example, the questions about income I can answer based on what we're doing here in the US, but neither of us have jobs yet in Canada. What I'm really curious about is if anyone has submitted coop applications before landing in Canada, and whether or not that impacted their applications.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I know nothing about co op housing, but it would seem a bit "odd" applying from overseas. There are quite a few people here in Vancouver that actually live here and work who would appear first in line.

Don't get me wrong, but you may not need or even qualify for it, i.e. making enough money. That's why the government wants you to have savings when you get here, so you don't use tax payer subsidies.

smr21

Jan 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Missassauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2016
Doc's Request.
05-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
Med's Done....
01-12-2016
Actually, most co-ops don't offer subsidies right now - apparently the funding has decreased, and many have a high cost to "buy in" at first. Not sure what exactly they get in terms of government support, but it sounds pretty minimal and as though most of the lower costs of coops (which is not as significant as I had thought) comes from members doing maintenance, yard work, etc.

Mostly we're looking since my spouse grew up in a co-op in Vancouver and really enjoyed it and would like to be back in a co-op setting if at all possible. I lived in a co-op for a few years in the US, and had a good experience with that, so it could be a good fit for us.

But yes, that is my concern that it would look odd to apply out of country. But so far it doesn't seem like anyone else on the forums has tried to apply, so I guess there's only one way to find out...

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Have you looked here? http://www.chf.bc.ca/what-co-op-housing/find-a-co-op/westminster-landing-co-op

I live in New West, it is a beautiful city with lots to do, very central to everywhere.