+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has any former refugee claimant (who entered Canada from US) or H& C permanent resident successfully obtained a US visa and visited the US?

Tmon

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Has any former refugee claimant (who entered Canada from US) or H& C permanent resident successfully obtained a US visa and visited the US? Did they need to get a waiver? Whats the process? Thanks in advance.

Foms

May 6, 2021
Has any former refugee claimant (who entered Canada from US) or H& C permanent resident successfully obtained a US visa and visited the US? Did they need to get a waiver? Whats the process? Thanks in advance.
Honestly I was here looking for answers to this

Latin40

Dec 6, 2018
I would like to know too. Because they cancelled my tourist visa after I asked for refugee in canada. Someone who knows?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would like to know too. Because they cancelled my tourist visa after I asked for refugee in canada. Someone who knows?
It's possible but generally more difficult. We have seen some people here be approved. It's certainly worth trying.

If you are refused, then you likely want to wait a year or so before applying again to establish more ties to Canada.

Reactions: Latin40

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020
Go to the Refuge Travel document thread and post your question you will get more feedback because I think many people there have tried applying.

Tmon

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Hello everyone! For anyone still interested in this question I have an update.
I did apply for a US visa directly without a waiver, on my country’s passport. Went for the interview and the officer only asked if I had claimed asylum in Canada. I said yes. He then asked ‘but that’s not how you got your PR?’ We said no, we got it through the healthcare pathway. He then said he would hold our passports and ‘recommend’ it for approval. We left and I started tracking it online. Two days later I saw it was approved. When we went to pick up our passports, we found that we were given a ten year visa. We got our passports on a Monday and on Thursday we drove into US with the kids for a 4 day visit through Niagara Falls to Maryland. No questions asked at the border, only passport stamping. On our drive back in, same question about asylum claim in the past. The border officer took our passports and told us to park our car on the side and stay in it. A few minutes later an agent came and gave them back to us and asked us if we had a good trip and welcome back home.

If anyone has any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Reactions: Lolly smiles

Foms

May 6, 2021
I did apply for a US visa directly without a waiver, on my country’s passport. Went for the interview and the officer only asked if I had claimed asylum in Canada. I said yes. He then asked ‘but that’s not how you got your PR?’ We said no, we got it through the healthcare pathway. He then said he would hold our passports and ‘recommend’ it for approval. We left and I started tracking it online. Two days later I saw it was approved. When we went to pick up our passports, we found that we were given a ten year visa. We got our passports on a Monday and on Thursday we drove into US with the kids for a 4 day visit through Niagara Falls to Maryland. No questions asked at the border, only passport stamping. On our drive back in, same question about asylum claim in the past. The border officer took our passports and told us to park our car on the side and stay in it. A few minutes later an agent came and gave them back to us and asked us if we had a good trip and welcome back home.

Wow, I'm so happy for you, I'm going to do thesame. How long did it take to get an appointment please, I will be coming to you guidance o. Congratulations again

Whiskey2020

Apr 8, 2020

This very interesting, Did you apply for Asylum in the US before coming to Canada to apply for Asylum? Because I did ask for Asylum in US in the past before coming to Canada to do the same. Was it this 2020 health care pathway that you got your PR from? I have my Asylum accepted since November 2019 and I applied for PR since January 2020 still waiting for PR.