+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Harper government considers tightening ‘citizenship by birth’ rules

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here You Go :

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/harper-government-considering-changes-citizenship-birth-rules-205829052.html

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Harper government considers tightening ‘citizenship by birth' rules

Does this mean babies born to PRs in Canada won't be Canadian Citizens? Its about time to have another baby before this law comes in place.

Intel

Star Member
Jun 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
2005-09
Med's Request
2009-08
Med's Done....
2009-10
Passport Req..
2010-05
VISA ISSUED...
2010-06
LANDED..........
2010-07

According to the referred document, babies to citizens and PRs will still be granted citizenship at birth.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I don't think it affects any PR or citizen. It does affect for example the international student who are couple and going to have a baby in the hopes of getting their Canadian PR or citizenship.
The problem with this sort of law is the Conservative government is trying its best to challenge the nature of immigration. It's bizarre as Canada has been built based on immigration!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

As it says in the article, the US and Canada are the only western countries that still grant birthright citizenship. Some European countries were doing it but none are doing it any more. Babies generally get the citizenship of their parents and if the parents are staying in that country on a temporary visa, the child can get a temporary visa as well. Most of these countries as far as I know have exceptions in case the child will become stateless though.

Not that I think it is a big problem that babies of visitors for example get citizenship in Canada because the citizenship of the child does not give any rights to the parents. I think it might be more of a problem if the tax payers are left with the hospital bill. This birth tourism is more of a scam. The parents are made to think that by having a baby in Canada, they gain the right to stay, get welfare and who knows what but the truth is, they don't gain any rights at all. Their child can return to Canada at age 18 but they can not sponsor them until they are making enough money to support them and even then, they are responsible for them financially for the next 20 yrs. after that.

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

SinghLovCan said:
Does this mean babies born to PRs in Canada won't be Canadian Citizens? Its about time to have another baby before this law comes in place.
;) that's funny!

Woodex

Sep 19, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Leon said:
As it says in the article, the US and Canada are the only western countries that still grant birthright citizenship. Some European countries were doing it but none are doing it any more. Babies generally get the citizenship of their parents and if the parents are staying in that country on a temporary visa, the child can get a temporary visa as well. Most of these countries as far as I know have exceptions in case the child will become stateless though.

Not that I think it is a big problem that babies of visitors for example get citizenship in Canada because the citizenship of the child does not give any rights to the parents. I think it might be more of a problem if the tax payers are left with the hospital bill. This birth tourism is more of a scam. The parents are made to think that by having a baby in Canada, they gain the right to stay, get welfare and who knows what but the truth is, they don't gain any rights at all. Their child can return to Canada at age 18 but they can not sponsor them until they are making enough money to support them and even then, they are responsible for them financially for the next 20 yrs. after that.
you're right! Govt should realize that someone rich people comes to western to have babies because of good health and they pay heavily which contribute to our economy.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

sazamizi said:
Here You Go :

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/harper-government-considering-changes-citizenship-birth-rules-205829052.html
So that mean Canada is looking to join the rest of the developed world with the exception of the USA (which is also looking to stop this procedure). I can't say I oppose this idea.

sazamizi

Jan 26, 2014
Hamilton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I have no comments for you my friend !

keesio said:
So that mean Canada is looking to join the rest of the developed world with the exception of the USA (which is also looking to stop this procedure). I can't say I oppose this idea.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012

Leon said:

well said....

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

keesio said:
I can't blame them for trying to get Canada on board with the rest of the world, at least the developed world. The thing with the citizenship by birth is that it is a highly wedge issue. A lot of immigrants come to Canada to settle do have the expected perk of citizenship by birth as part of the deal. I think the support are likely to be evenly split in support on opposite sides. Those who support status quo and those who don't want status quo to continue.

Screech339

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013

screech339 said:
A lot of immigrants come to Canada to settle do have the expected perk of citizenship by birth as part of the deal.
This will not change. Anyone who immigrates to Canada legally and has children here would have their kids become citizens. What the bill is targeting is birth tourism.

BLT

Jul 30, 2014

I think currently any baby born in Canada is considered a citizen if one of the parents has at least PR status.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013

keesio said:
This will not change. Anyone who immigrates to Canada legally and has children here would have their kids become citizens. What the bill is targeting is birth tourism.
Which I agree with your comment. So government could change it so that only Canadian and PRs shall be granted right to "citizenship by birth" to their children. Everyone else, can only get citizenship of parent only. Is this basically what it comes down to?

Screech339

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

BLT said:
I think currently any baby born in Canada is considered a citizen if one of the parents has at least PR status.
No - that's not how it works now.