+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hard time at custom after 2 years and 11 months out side of Canada

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
Dear Leon and other members,

Please help me with a quick question. if the custom is going to report that I have been out side of Canada too long, will they let me know about that?

I got PR card on 25/08/2010. I left the country on 02/09/2010 and now I am back.

I just landed and got a very hard time at custom, about 2 hours. First, I filled wrong information on custom form (I misunderstood the question). the question is when did you left and the value of goods and gift that you purchased is over $10,000. I saw it as when will you leave and I put 160901(01/09/2016). I did the self service check and then they sent me to the counter and I was asked many questions such as why did you stay out side so long, why did you move here, have you got a job here, have you quit the job in your country, how much money you brought in ... and then they send me to the place to check my luggage and at this place my passport and PR card was checked carefully for about 1hour and then I got my luggage scanned and they let me go without saying anything.

Please advise as your experience, will they report me and do I still meet the residence requirement if I stay for the next 2 years.

thank you,

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They did not report you because if they did they would have given you info about that as well as how to appeal. If you were only outside Canada for 2 yrs. 11 months since you got your PR, you will still be able to meet the residency obligation for your first 5 years as a PR.

For the next 2 years, you should not leave Canada and you should not apply to renew your PR card until 2 years from now.

sdam12345

Jul 12, 2013
did they stop everyone who passed the self serve kiosks or did they stop you because of the date you filled? was this something the machine picked up and then alerted the agent? how did it work?

dubai321

Oct 1, 2010
thank you so much Leon.
The lady who check custom form circle the date that I put (16/09/01) and refer me to the counter. I thought that they stopped me because the date I put in wrong. at the counter they asked me some questions like posted before and they let me go. at the exist gate they referred me to the custom again to check food and my passport again but they still let me go without saying anything.
I thought that there are 2 reasons they stopped me that long:
- I put the wrong date for the question when I left the country. they thought I tried to lie
- I have been out for long 2 years and 11 months so they would like to check and count properly to make sure that I still have chance to meet the residence requirement.
I am not sure, please get other experienced members to comments
thank you,

OHKIDDA

Star Member
Sep 1, 2012
dubai321 said:
Dear Leon and other members,

Please help me with a quick question. if the custom is going to report that I have been out side of Canada too long, will they let me know about that?

I got PR card on 25/08/2010. I left the country on 02/09/2010 and now I am back.

I just landed and got a very hard time at custom, about 2 hours. First, I filled wrong information on custom form (I misunderstood the question). the question is when did you left and the value of goods and gift that you purchased is over $10,000. I saw it as when will you leave and I put 160901(01/09/2016). I did the self service check and then they sent me to the counter and I was asked many questions such as why did you stay out side so long, why did you move here, have you got a job here, have you quit the job in your country, how much money you brought in ... and then they send me to the place to check my luggage and at this place my passport and PR card was checked carefully for about 1hour and then I got my luggage scanned and they let me go without saying anything.

Please advise as your experience, will they report me and do I still meet the residence requirement if I stay for the next 2 years.

thank you,
why don't you just stay in your country of birth? why go through the hassle of applying for PR, and clogging up the system, if you can't maintain your status here?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dubai321 said:
thank you so much Leon.
The lady who check custom form circle the date that I put (16/09/01) and refer me to the counter. I thought that they stopped me because the date I put in wrong. at the counter they asked me some questions like posted before and they let me go. at the exist gate they referred me to the custom again to check food and my passport again but they still let me go without saying anything.
I thought that there are 2 reasons they stopped me that long:
- I put the wrong date for the question when I left the country. they thought I tried to lie
- I have been out for long 2 years and 11 months so they would like to check and count properly to make sure that I still have chance to meet the residence requirement.
I am not sure, please get other experienced members to comments
thank you,
I heard they like to pick on male passenger traveling alone especially with lots of bags.