Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
Hi - I had a Work Permit visa before getting PR, but never traveled on that to Canada. hence, never really used it. I came to Canada only after becoming a PR. So , in the physical presence calculator, should i put the dates of that visa or not put at all??

Bit confused.

Please advise.

Thanks.

irnbru16

Star Member
Nov 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2014
AOR Received.
25-03-2014
Med's Request
02-04-2015
Med's Done....
09-04-2015
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Hi - I had a Work Permit visa before getting PR, but never traveled on that to Canada. hence, never really used it. I came to Canada only after becoming a PR. So , in the physical presence calculator, should i put the dates of that visa or not put at all??

Bit confused.

Please advise.

Thanks.
The Word "Physical Presence" is the key here.

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
The Word "Physical Presence" is the key here.
Yeah.. I kinda got that.

But what do I say in the question where it asks "Did you hold any Temporary Resident visa before becoming a Permanent Resident?.... "

Yes or No?

(Because Yes - I was holding the Visa, and No - I was not physically present under that visa). lol!

.. further - If i say 'Yes'.. then it forces me to enter the dates when i was present in Canada (which i wasnt)... and I hesitate to give any wrong info and so on...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Yeah.. I kinda got that.

But what do I say in the question where it asks "Did you hold any Temporary Resident visa before becoming a Permanent Resident?.... "

Yes or No?

(Because Yes - I was holding the Visa, and No - I was not physically present under that visa). lol!

.. further - If i say 'Yes'.. then it forces me to enter the dates when i was present in Canada (which i wasnt)... and I hesitate to give any wrong info and so on...
1. The answer is No, because you may have been issued a Letter of Authorization, but you were never issued a work permit if you didn't enter Canada.

ghapama

Star Member
Jan 15, 2018
I want to follow up on this question. I had not thought about this applying to me, until I saw this thread.

Consider this scenario: I was already in Canada on a student permit before I became PR (during my eligibility period). I then applied for a work permit and got it (while still on the study permit) but never used it. I did not enter this on my application for citizenship, but I put the study permit. Is this OK? The reasoning was that I can only hold one status at any one time. They are talking about status rather than documents, so I assumed if I am an international student (since I am on a study permit), the work permit is just a document that allows me to work, rather than a "status" per se. I would not be identified as a "temporary worker" as the primary identification. No?

vineethere

Jun 4, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
27-09-2012
AOR Received.
07-03-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
25-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2013
Med's Done....
05-12-2013
Interview........
Waived I think....
Passport Req..
25-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2014
LANDED..........
11-02-2014
I want to follow up on this question. I had not thought about this applying to me, until I saw this thread.

Consider this scenario: I was already in Canada on a student permit before I became PR (during my eligibility period). I then applied for a work permit and got it (while still on the study permit) but never used it. I did not enter this on my application for citizenship, but I put the study permit. Is this OK? The reasoning was that I can only hold one status at any one time. They are talking about status rather than documents, so I assumed if I am an international student (since I am on a study permit), the work permit is just a document that allows me to work, rather than a "status" per se. I would not be identified as a "temporary worker" as the primary identification. No?

What I understand is - if you did NOT use a particular visa (say worker), then the earlier one (eg., student) will hold in your case. When i say "use", i mean you did not land in as a worker.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015

This seems to be correct.