+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Had PR as a child. Was not aware until now. Renounce or try to get PRTD?

Isajez

Jul 18, 2018
Good day,
I'm faced with a scenario I'm not sure how to handle. I recently applied for a temporary resident (visitor) visa. The local embassy (Trinidad) replied telling me that I hold or once held PR. Apparently, as explained by my parents when I was a child (6 yrs old) our family had PR status but we moved back to Trinidad. I have not been to Canada since then. I'm now 35. Both my parents renounced their PR status and obtained visitors visas after. The embassy gave me two options: renounce the PR voluntarily or apply for a PRTD (I had a look at the form and I simply do not have a lot of the information that is required to fill it out).

The dilemma for me is that faced with these facts I'm considering whether I would want to move to Canada in the future and what is the best way to handle this scenario. Should I simply renounce the PR status now and then if I want to move to Canada later on reapply? Would my renunciation be held against me then?

Should I try to hold on the PR status on the basis that I was removed as a minor and wasn't aware until now? (Keep in mind I'm not 18, I'm 35 so many years of adulthood have passed)

As it stands now, I can't move there in the immediate future. At least for a year. How does this affect how I should handle the scenario?

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In order to be approved because you were removed as a minor and have it approved you really need to apply as soon as you turn 18. We've seen some people approved closer to 22 but not 36. Your parents are at fault for not telling you earlier you can't use that as an excuse. You can either try and get into Canada without being reported for 2 years but given that you probably don't have a SIN you wouldn't be able to work. Think your only choice is to voluntary withdraw your PR. This won't affect you if you want to apply in the future.

Reactions: Isajez and scylla

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Realistically, renounce and try apply again. IRCC is usually pretty lenient when children are removed by the parents, but only up to about 21-22. They expect them to try and settle as close to 18 as possible. There is, however, no harm in applying for a PRTD. The worst they can do is say no.

Reactions: Isajez