+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Had applied in Sep 2019 for Citizenship - awaiting as my husband stays in the US.

soperi

Apr 30, 2020
Hi All,

I hope everybody is safe and healthy.

I stumbled upon this forum recently and had to post to get some thoughts from everyone.

I had applied for my citizenship in Sep,2019 and received the acknowledgement on Jan 30,2020. After that there was no update absolutely, as we all know now being COVID-19 situation the citizenship events are all cancelled.

The only reason behind my rush for citizenship was being able to cross the border and work in US on TN visa to be able to stay with my husband(got married in Dec 2019 and haven't met since). I am now concerned as to how long this would take - receiving the exam and then oath ceremony and final passport.

Is anyone on the same boat? Any suggestions?

I am so waiting to start my family life, however this whole thing is stopping all routes.

Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I stumbled upon this forum recently and had to post to get some thoughts from everyone.

I had applied for my citizenship in Sep,2019 and received the acknowledgement on Jan 30,2020. After that there was no update absolutely, as we all know now being COVID-19 situation the citizenship events are all cancelled.

The only reason behind my rush for citizenship was being able to cross the border and work in US on TN visa to be able to stay with my husband(got married in Dec 2019 and haven't met since). I am now concerned as to how long this would take - receiving the exam and then oath ceremony and final passport.

I am so waiting to start my family life, however this whole thing is stopping all routes.

Thank you!
Definitely not a reason for expedited processing. You have to wait. You can live in the US but can’t work.

Anastasia_Y

Jan 10, 2016
I feel you, @soperi I am in a very similar situation. Applied in July 2019, finally got through citizenship test on Feb 6th, and left to join my husband who got a job in the US... got back to Canada in mid March for a ceremony which was cancelled and wasn't able to return back to my significant one yet as the borders are closed. I am on J2 dependent visa, but don't want to take chances and be turned around on the border as it might be "non-essential travel".

I believe the in-person activities aren't going to resume any time in the foreseeable future, so don't know if I should fly back to him and wait in the US until we know more or wait here in Canada for a miracle to happen for tests with ceremonies to resume in summer.
It's a waiting game.

Last edited:

issteven

Jan 2, 2014
Hi All,

Thank you!
this is life man, some people can't even see their parents when they are dying, due to this covid travel ban

Reactions: harirajmohan