+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b (work visa)to USA or go on my immigration process?

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hi all,
i am new here, but i found this forum very helpful, i hope u can help me with my problem.

I applied to CIC in 10th Feb 2004, yesterday CIC called me and asked my for updated CV, Pics, employment letter and updated bank statement for me ( 4 persons). In the main time, my wife is a pharmacist and she will get her H1B to work as a pharmacist in USA ( we hope within this June ).
Now to my questions
1- should I abandon my immigration to Canada and stick to my wife's H1B, considering the hard time Canada gives to new immigrants? and considering that, USA, will not give us home at least 8 years while Canada will give us home within 3-4 years.
2- I should submit these document to CIC within 15 days and we will have interview in the US embassy 4 days after the deadline to submit the docs to CIC. Should I mention to CIC about my wife's H1B along the required docs to be submitted?
3- My wife will be working in WA state but not very close to Canadian borders, but we can later ask her employer to move her job to a place that is closed to Canadian borders so we can live in Canada and she can work in USA, but how is this managed for US H1B and Canadian PR? any one had same experience?

Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Best luck all

clayheart

Sep 29, 2006
It would really depend on where you want to eventually settle. The problem with H1B is it's not that easy to apply for a US GC (that may change with the new immigration reform bill being discussed). If you're planning to live in the US for at least 3 years, you should abandon the Canadian application and reapply when you need it, because you won't be able to keep it anyway. Things to consider:

1. Application from the US will take about 12-14 months only, should you reapply.
2. Living on H1B is not that easy - YOU will not be able to work, have you considered that?

BTW, I'm curious to know why you think that you'll get your H1B in June. The fiscal year begins in Oct and ALL of the visa numbers are gone. If you don't have the visa yet, you're out of luck, until Oct of 2008 when the new FY begins.

You're lucky to have the choice. Now you have to make a decision. It's a good dilemma though.