+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Visa: Should I take the Citizenship test outside Canada or inside?

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I am between jobs in the US and if I go to Canada then will have to find an employer willing to wait for me to get my H1B visa stamped and come back to the US.

But, I am also hearing stories about people's application getting delayed if they take the test outside Canada.

What would you guys recommend?

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
I am between jobs in the US and if I go to Canada then will have to find an employer willing to wait for me to get my H1B visa stamped and come back to the US.

But, I am also hearing stories about people's application getting delayed if they take the test outside Canada.

What would you guys recommend?
If you are willing to follow law of land - You need to get (Ideally) approval to write test outside Canada.

You can send request to IRCC using webform/call and inquire about it.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
yeah.. those are my two options.
1. Get approval and take the test outside Canada.
2. Fly to Canada and write the test.

I am not going to take the test outside Canada but still say that I am inside. Not worth taking that kind of a risk. They can easily figure out if I am using a proxy or just track my US IP address..

My Question is this: Which option should I choose. I came across a thread where people took the test outside Canada and their applications got delayed.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
yeah.. those are my two options.
1. Get approval and take the test outside Canada.
2. Fly to Canada and write the test.

I am not going to take the test outside Canada but still say that I am inside. Not worth taking that kind of a risk. They can easily figure out if I am using a proxy or just track my US IP address..

My Question is this: Which option should I choose. I came across a thread where people took the test outside Canada and their applications got delayed.
You have high chances of delayed citizenship procedure, if test is taken outside Canada (Obviously, IRCC will do some verifications)
Can you travel without H1b stamping?

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I lost my H1B job and I am on the grace period of finding a new job within 60 days. Not sure if I can do the land border crossing.
my i-797 was approved and valid for 3 more years. but now that I don't have a job not sure if that would still hold..

yaml

Star Member
Aug 16, 2022
I lost my H1B job and I am on the grace period of finding a new job within 60 days. Not sure if I can do the land border crossing.
my i-797 was approved and valid for 3 more years. but now that I don't have a job not sure if that would still hold..
don't do land border crossing unless you geta job.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
My best advise is to post your query related to U.S. IMMIGRATION for return to USA at https://www.lawbench.com/ and Ask a lawyer your question.
For Canada Online Citizenship Test - Raise webform and explain your situation for travel restrictions due to h1b visa stamping validations and ask for test outside Canada.
BTW, You already have test invitation? Write back to same email address\office.

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
My best advise is to post your query related to U.S. IMMIGRATION for return to USA at https://www.lawbench.com/ and Ask a lawyer your question.
For Canada Online Citizenship Test - Raise webform and explain your situation for travel restrictions due to h1b visa stamping validations and ask for test outside Canada.
BTW, You already have test invitation? Write back to same email address\office.
yeah.. but for me Canada Citizenship means a lot. I don't want to potentially screw that up. I think I am going to risk it all and go to Canada and do the test. Then I will try and find out a company in the US which is okay with the delay associated with the stamping and then try and come back.

Sohaib89

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
I took the test outside Canada (in US) and regret doing that. It has caused significant delay in my application processing and IRCC asked me for multple additional documents. I would strongly suggest you take the test in Canada.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
yeah.. but for me Canada Citizenship means a lot. I don't want to potentially screw that up. I think I am going to risk it all and go to Canada and do the test. Then I will try and find out a company in the US which is okay with the delay associated with the stamping and then try and come back.
What did you do finally?

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I talked to my friend who had taken the test outside and was able to get the citizenship without any delay or issues.

I also took the test outside Canada. I emailed IRCC and they said that it was okay to take the test outside and they asked me to use the same link.

I gave my test on Feb 1st and it changed to "completed" when I last logged in today.

I am really hoping that there wouldn't be any more delays or hiccups in the process.

Reactions: ssmn293

PianoTiger

Star Member
Oct 5, 2017
I talked to my friend who had taken the test outside and was able to get the citizenship without any delay or issues.

I also took the test outside Canada. I emailed IRCC and they said that it was okay to take the test outside and they asked me to use the same link.

I gave my test on Feb 1st and it changed to "completed" when I last logged in today.

I am really hoping that there wouldn't be any more delays or hiccups in the process.
Any updates?

okbangaram

Star Member
Apr 30, 2015
I have an interview scheduled in a couple of weeks where they will check my documents and travel history and potentially ask additional questions..
If I flunk the interview then that's the end of the Canadian dream.

lets see how things will play out over the next few weeks. :oops: keeping fingers crossed!