+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b visa applicants - Good idea to provide h1b documents as proof of work?

HellCanada

Apr 25, 2017
I fear that my former US employer will not be able to provide a letter of employment or they'll not provide a satisfactory letter. Besides pay stubs and annual performance evaluations, my h1b documentation seems to be a reasonable proof of employment. Has anyone provided h1b docs to Canadian authorities? Does that make my application stronger since it is paperwork from US immigration authorities being given to Canada immigration authorities?

Tatya_Vinchu

Star Member
Mar 1, 2017
You don't gain any advantage just because it's US immigration document, but if you don't have anything else from your company as proof of employment then you can use H1B docs. But still they would need employer contact details and all other required information in those docs.

all_iz_well

Dec 17, 2014
HellCanada said:
I fear that my former US employer will not be able to provide a letter of employment or they'll not provide a satisfactory letter. Besides pay stubs and annual performance evaluations, my h1b documentation seems to be a reasonable proof of employment. Has anyone provided h1b docs to Canadian authorities? Does that make my application stronger since it is paperwork from US immigration authorities being given to Canada immigration authorities?
U would have to upload with ur passport anyway.
It wont add any additional value.
IMO a visa cant prove work experience.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You could definitely add US paychecks and H1b visa copy along with your reference letter. I added my visa copy along with pay stubs in reference letter as it has the sponsoring company name. H1b is a employer specific visa and in my opinion, that along with pay stubs, it is definitely a good proof that the company employed you.

But you cannot use anything to claim responsibilities using that. It can just be a proof of employment.. You will definitely need some letter either from HR or supervisor listing your job duties. There is no out for this.

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I spoke to an attorney about reference letter. She said pay stubs and tax return prove employment, but not job duties. The main purpose of emplaoyment letter is to verify that job duties match with those of the NOC.

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
canada_dreamer said:
I spoke to an attorney about reference letter. She said pay stubs and tax return prove employment, but not job duties. The main purpose of emplaoyment letter is to verify that job duties match with those of the NOC.
I too am on H1B and there is one option which I am thinking of pursuing after I get ITA for current employer. During change of employer on H1, the new company has to send a petition letter. In my case, I have seen that letter and it clearly lists down all the job responsibilities, title and salary. Of course it would be dated before you joining date. I am assuming that letter (which is on company letterhead and signed by HR addressed to USCIS) along with offer letter, payslips and/or W2 should be sufficient to show current employment. Thoughts?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
karthik2479 said:
I too am on H1B and there is one option which I am thinking of pursuing after I get ITA for current employer. During change of employer on H1, the new company has to send a petition letter. In my case, I have seen that letter and it clearly lists down all the job responsibilities, title and salary. Of course it would be dated before you joining date. I am assuming that letter (which is on company letterhead and signed by HR addressed to USCIS) along with offer letter, payslips and/or W2 should be sufficient to show current employment. Thoughts?
Supervisor or co-worker letter on plain paper + notarization will be the easiest way! If you really can't get it, resort to what you have listed.

HellCanada

Apr 25, 2017
karthik2479 said:
My H1b petition does include a letter from my employer making the case for my employment. There, my employer listed my job duties. In fact, I have three of these letters over my six year employment period. The first one to submit the H1b for the first time; the second one to renew the h1b; the third one when I changed employers. They are not recent, but they reflect my situation at three points during my employment. Should it be enough?

karthik2479

Apr 19, 2017
HellCanada said:
My H1b petition does include a letter from my employer making the case for my employment. There, my employer listed my job duties. In fact, I have three of these letters over my six year employment period. The first one to submit the H1b for the first time; the second one to renew the h1b; the third one when I changed employers. They are not recent, but they reflect my situation at three points during my employment. Should it be enough?
I am not sure about the old ones - I think HR or manager letter should be used there. Maybe we can use it for the latest employment. Of course we would still need to substantiate with the I-797 or visa and a formal offer and proof of joining date (paystubs, etc.) since these letters are sent to USCIS prior to formal joining. I don't see any reason not to use them if the JD is clearly indicated as also the salary. And the good thing is these are all on company letterhead - so authenticity is never in doubt.

dkfk

Star Member
Jan 28, 2018
I am in the same boat. I've been on H1B for over 3 years and I am reluctant to ask my company about a reference letter as that may reveal my intent to leave the company (not a great thing for an at-will employee). I do, however, have a job offer from 4 years ago and two letters addressed to USCIS in support of my H1B petitions that are on an official letterhead, with HR signature that have three paragraphs on my responsibilities and other things. Did anyone have any luck submitting this as proof of employment? I am also planning on submitting a letter of explanation as part of my application.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Did anyone successfully leverage these letters related to H1b or other work visas in the US as reference letters?

navinball

VIP Member
Feb 26, 2018
Did anyone successfully leverage these letters related to H1b or other work visas in the US as reference letters?
the main thing they care about is roles and responsibilities, so if the H1B petition has it then it might be useful.

Jan 3, 2020
USA
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
28-02-2020
Med's Done....
17-02-2020
Hi,

Did anyone have success with using H1b petition letter from the company as a proof for job responsibilities?

Thanks.