+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b stamping in Canada

vgcan2021

Nov 24, 2021
Hi Guys

I moved to Canada last year and continued to work for my US employer using my H1b petition which is valid till 2024. My last H1B stamping got expired in Jan 2022 and i am wondering what is the best way for me to apply for h1b stamping again. I am currently working from home from Toronto and visited my US workplace couple of times last year. I recently filed my 2021 taxes in US and claimed foreign tax credit in Canada.

My concern is if i go for H1b stamping in Canada, could there be questions about why i have been living in Canada and not in US while working on H1b? Is it risky to go for H1b stamping now or continue to work here until 2024 and meanwhile find a job in Canada. I would prefer to work for my current employer but they would like me to attend some critical meetings couple of times every year for which i need to travel to USA.

Any insights on this matter would be of great help.

Thank in advance!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Guys

I moved to Canada last year and continued to work for my US employer using my H1b petition which is valid till 2024. My last H1B stamping got expired in Jan 2022 and i am wondering what is the best way for me to apply for h1b stamping again. I am currently working from home from Toronto and visited my US workplace couple of times last year. I recently filed my 2021 taxes in US and claimed foreign tax credit in Canada.

My concern is if i go for H1b stamping in Canada, could there be questions about why i have been living in Canada and not in US while working on H1b? Is it risky to go for H1b stamping now or continue to work here until 2024 and meanwhile find a job in Canada. I would prefer to work for my current employer but they would like me to attend some critical meetings couple of times every year for which i need to travel to USA.

Any insights on this matter would be of great help.

Thank in advance!
By the way you haven't stated your status in Canada. If you are a PR , this question/answer is understandable to them by default. Still, if asked you can tell them that you are needed in office from next month or so you are here for stamping. That is not a big of deal for them but they would ask all of your docs just like how you mentioned your tax returns, your W2s, your paystubs and stuff. just carry them all.