+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Stamping in Canada with OWP

sunandinir

Aug 4, 2022
Hi All,

My husband is in US and he need to get Visa stamped with new i797 due to change in job. He has valid Open Work Permit in Canada and I live in Canada, Can he answer the question as "No" and get eligible for drop box appointment with legal document in Canada being the Open Work Permit?

However, thinking that he is working and travelling for Visa purpose, we answered the question as Yes and have an interview appointment for Dec 7th 2022. Should we go ahead with this appointment?

Also he doesnt have any ID with address of canada, and he only has the US DL whether that is enough to collect the passport after the process?

Regards,
Sunandini.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi All,

My husband is in US and he need to get Visa stamped with new i797 due to change in job. He has valid Open Work Permit in Canada and I live in Canada, Can he answer the question as "No" and get eligible for drop box appointment with legal document in Canada being the Open Work Permit?

However, thinking that he is working and travelling for Visa purpose, we answered the question as Yes and have an interview appointment for Dec 7th 2022. Should we go ahead with this appointment?

Also he doesnt have any ID with address of canada, and he only has the US DL whether that is enough to collect the passport after the process?

Regards,
Sunandini.
1. He answered it right(Yes). He is indeed travelling from another country for his Visa unless he is a resident of Canada which is not the case.
2. I think he should be ok. Many people from US travel just for Visa and thats how they collect their passport by showing their US license/state ID.