+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Stamping in Canada as a new Permanent Resident

asvguy

Apr 26, 2022
Hi all,

I am a new Canadian Permanent Resident and I am eligible for Dropbox for my H1B extension stamping. Will my CoPR serve as the proof of legal status in Canada ? (considering nothing else is exists)

PR cards are taking almost 80 days to be mailed to me. I also have bank statement with the address on it, and also credit card statements.

Thanks!

bonkers90

Aug 30, 2022
Hi all,

I am a new Canadian Permanent Resident and I am eligible for Dropbox for my H1B extension stamping. Will my CoPR serve as the proof of legal status in Canada ? (considering nothing else is exists)

PR cards are taking almost 80 days to be mailed to me. I also have bank statement with the address on it, and also credit card statements.

Thanks!
Hello, were you able to get an answer for this question. I plan to perform my soft landing and also use my COPR as proof of legal status for dropbox.

asvguy

Apr 26, 2022
Hello, were you able to get an answer for this question. I plan to perform my soft landing and also use my COPR as proof of legal status for dropbox.
Hi, nopeI couldn't get an official from the consulate to explicitly say that it's fine. Problem is, it depends on the consular agent, if that person says no and need a PR card, then we're in trouble. If the visa is refused and sent back, it's a life long struggle now. So it's a lot of risk per my understanding, sending the copr.

bonkers90

Aug 30, 2022
Reactions: paneka penalty

asvguy

Apr 26, 2022
Okay, but I think PR card is just a document which can get lost and stuff. I was researching at my end and pretty much everyone said that signed COPR can qualify as proof of legal status.

It is covered under the list here:

https://stepstojustice.ca/steps/income-assistance/3-try-get-documents-prove-your-immigration-status/#:~:text=Documents to prove status&text=Canadian passport or Certificate of,your application for permanent residence
My problem is, that's just another website saying it's allowed. Logically yes, it makes sense. But I have yet to encounter someone who has provided CoPR and gotten it approved. The risks are huge Incase it's not accepted. So I think I'm gonna wait until comsone confirms that they provided CoPR for H1B stamping.

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
YES !! COPR can be used as proof of permanent residency. I didn't have my PR Card since I landed on Sep 20, 2022.

Initial H1b Stamping from F1 to H1B COS (CPT). Never traveled outside the USA since Aug 2015.

Canada Post- Sent H1b/H4 Docs on Oct 20, 2022.
App Rec Oct 21, 2022,
H1b Approved Oct 24, 2022
Issued Status change Oct 28, 2022,
Shipping label created Oct 31, 2022,
Passport Received Nov 1st, 2022.

Reactions: paneka penalty

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Please I will appreciate your input on this:

I have a scheduled H4 interview in Calgary and a few days ago I received an email request for my spouse's approved I-797 and passport data page. Is this normal? Does the U.S. visa officer usually ask for such before the interview? Does anyone know why this must have been asked?

Thank you for sharing your views.

kpadm3

Star Member
Feb 5, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Please I will appreciate your input on this:

I have a scheduled H4 interview in Calgary and a few days ago I received an email request for my spouse's approved I-797 and passport data page. Is this normal? Does the U.S. visa officer usually ask for such before the interview? Does anyone know why this must have been asked?

Thank you for sharing your views.
Do you have dropbox eligibility or were you asked to come to an in-person interview? I think you're referring to the H1 principal applicant's approval copy. H4 gets i797 only when the EAD application is approved if I'm not wrong. I attached the marriage certificate and H4 supporting letter from my employer(stating I'm an employee and she's my spouse and her passport number etc.) since it was her initial H4. Other documents were not requested.

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022
Do you have dropbox eligibility or were you asked to come to an in-person interview? I think you're referring to the H1 principal applicant's approval copy. H4 gets i797 only when the EAD application is approved if I'm not wrong. I attached the marriage certificate and H4 supporting letter from my employer(stating I'm an employee and she's my spouse and her passport number etc.) since it was her initial H4. Other documents were not requested.
Thank you for the reply.

I booked an appointment in Calgary to appear in person. The approval is that of my spouse's H1.

I am not sure why they asked for those before the interview. I actually asked them but they didn't reply to the email.

Amy2425

Oct 19, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks!

Amy2425

Oct 19, 2021
Hi .. Can you please share your experience on the process and details you have selected and the outcome ? We need to get my H1B-H4 stamping done. We are Canadian resident now and have just activated the COPR waiting for the PR card taking more than 100 days. What options to select ? Please let us know the your status and process ? I plan to get done at Toronto or Ottawa.