+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B stamping and Canada PR

nanda.uday92

Oct 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Hope things are going well. I am an Indian and going for H1B stamping in India. I also have approved Canada PR though have not landed yet to complete the process.I just wanted to ask if the visa officer at US embassy would ask anything related to the Canada PR stamp on my passport. I wanted to be prepared for that question if it comes up.

Will having Canada PR stamp, cause any issues with H1B stamping process. What should I say if they ask why I had intended to get Canada PR and H1B at same time. Honestly, I was on OPT , did not get picked for two years in lottery and so had applied for Canada PR. Third time got the H1B. Can I answer the actual reason to the officer , has any F1 student faced similar issue here on the forum.

Thanks,
Nanda

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi Everyone,

Hope things are going well. I am an Indian and going for H1B stamping in India. I also have approved Canada PR though have not landed yet to complete the process.I just wanted to ask if the visa officer at US embassy would ask anything related to the Canada PR stamp on my passport. I wanted to be prepared for that question if it comes up.

Will having Canada PR stamp, cause any issues with H1B stamping process. What should I say if they ask why I had intended to get Canada PR and H1B at same time. Honestly, I was on OPT , did not get picked for two years in lottery and so had applied for Canada PR. Third time got the H1B. Can I answer the actual reason to the officer , has any F1 student faced similar issue here on the forum.

Thanks,
Nanda
Tell whatever you had planned or had the situation. You are not the only one planning to immigrate to other country. All these countries know that people migrate to different country if that is not suitable. If you dont take H1, they know that someone else will hence US/Canada doesnt really care if you dont use the visa or immigrate to their country.

Even border guys at US side asked few times during the initial commuting period on why i moved to Canada. I tell them directly that the wait time for gc is in decades hence i will have to utilize/keep what i get. So you dont need to prepare for anything differently - just state the reason/situation you have at that time and whats your future plan is.

You know that 100z of H1 now stay in Canada and travel to US and many travel daily to US. These have their Canadian immigrant visa on passport and we do go to US visa stamping too every 1-3 years. So i dont see any problem in any end of the borders. So this move is not going to affect you in anyway. Also you are not on immigrant status in US hence its not a problem in anyway.

Last edited:

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Nanda
Problem is not with H1B visa or Canadian PR visa. Its really your perception of one being more important/worthy than the other.
For starters, nothing is any bigger or lesser than rest. Once you get that, everything else should take care of itself.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
H1B is non-immigrant Visa. US doesn't care whether you are PR of another country or not when you apply for H1B. In fact in DS160 there is a question about being PR of another country. Answer that truthfully. If you were to apply for a non-immigrant Visa that does not allow immigrant intent such as B1/B2 or F1, then in fact being PR of another country will work in your favor.

If you were applying for an immigrant Visa (US LPR/GC), then they would be concerned about Canadian PR.

Last edited:

bmansi

Jul 10, 2018
@nanda.uday92 - I had the same question before submitting my DS-160. I am yet to land in Canada, but have a stamp on my passport for it. I will be landing in Canada, before going to India. I answered no about being PR of another country, but was still worried about it. What did you put in your DS-160?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
@nanda.uday92 - I had the same question before submitting my DS-160. I am yet to land in Canada, but have a stamp on my passport for it. I will be landing in Canada, before going to India. I answered no about being PR of another country, but was still worried about it. What did you put in your DS-160?
I think you should get it corrected, because as of the interview date you will be Canadian PR. Fill out a new DS 160 and call the processing agency (UStraveldocs) to change the DS 160 number associated with your appointment.

Ramas

Oct 21, 2019
Hi Nanda,
I am Samhitha, on a different not here and I apologize for asking totally different questions.
I am a H1B holder Finished my masters and was OPT (dealt with all that crap). I am trying to apply for Canada PR.
What are steps you have followed could you please share with me
did you assess your bachelors by WES?
I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Samhitha

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Nanda

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi Nanda,
I am Samhitha, on a different not here and I apologize for asking totally different questions.
I am a H1B holder Finished my masters and was OPT (dealt with all that crap). I am trying to apply for Canada PR.
What are steps you have followed could you please share with me
did you assess your bachelors by WES?
I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks,
Samhitha
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/apply-permanent-residence.html

pranav_singla055

Sep 11, 2018
New Delhi
I am in same boat. I have filled no in Do you hold PR of other country as I only have COPR.

Have you given your interview??

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
Hi,

This is totally different. Please advise. My PR processing is going on and I am waiting for PPR then COPR. My PR was selected from PNP.

1. So I do have to landing in the same Province who nominated me or I can land in other Province and do the COPR stamping. I am asking this because I have to do H1b stamping in Ottawa and my PR province is Saskachetwan
2. Can I do H1b stamping in Ottawa then do the COPR in Saskachetwan?

Thanks!

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can land anywhere, but your 'province of destination' should be SK. So eventually whenever you plan to make the permanent move, you need to move to SK. Ex. do you have any address in SK for your PR card?

Reactions: im2gaurav

im2gaurav

Jun 16, 2018
You can land anywhere, but your 'province of destination' should be SK. So eventually whenever you plan to make the permanent move, you need to move to SK. Ex. do you have any address in SK for your PR card?
Thanks for you reply. I am planning to do soft landing.
My permanent move will be SK in future but for soft landing can I land in Toronto/Ottawa and give my friends address who is in toronto for my PR card?

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
hi Nanda,

Recently m’y PR has been approved and need to land in Canada before or on October 20, 2020.

Also, my h1b got approved recently.

As I’m claiming the PR before the date mentioned above, my question is
can I go for H1B stamping ( first time stamping) in Canada while activating PR——- 2 shorts at one time.

please share your experiences and your thought for the above question.

Thanks,

vamsikgr

Sep 22, 2019
Hello,

I have recently received my COPR and will have to do my landing process shortly in canada before or on October 2020.

I am in US and initially was on F1 and then applied for H1B which got approved and started the H1B status from March 05,2020.
I have not left the country and do not have a H1B visa stamped.I

And also my f1 visa got expired and I have two questions:

1. Do I need to go for change of status H1b stamping in Canada? And use AVR BELOW?
2. Can I use AVR to reenter the country with approved I-797 document and current I-94 which is D/S as expiry date when I first entered United states on f1

TIA