+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B stamping after activating PR

Jun 11, 2022
Hello, I have a CoPR and am currrently residing and working in the US. I plan to visit Canada in the next month or two and get my PR activated. After that can I apply for US visa H1B stamping in Canada as a Canadian PR and become eligible for a dropbox? I had my H1B stamped first time from India and have more than 24 months left on my current H1B. The risk here is that currently I do not have H1B stamped on my passport, and I'd be leaving US with the hope that I'd be able to get it stamped in canada as a PR with dropbox option and then fly back to the US.

jitheshani

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
Looking at the current trend, plan on spending 3 months in Canada to get stamping via Dropbox.

Wait for a couple of months and book an in-person appointment before traveling to Canada.

Jun 11, 2022
Thanks for the reply @jitheshani
Unfortunately, in-person appointments are not available until 2023 right now. However, there is a question in the visa profile "Are you traveling from another country to apply for US visa in Canada". If I select No for this, it shows a few appointments available in Sep 2022. If I travel to Canada to activate my PR, can I select "No" for this question?

jitheshani

Star Member
Oct 10, 2019
I got only Dropbox option when selected "No". If you are able to book September appointment and can also wait then that's better rather than availing Dropbox now.

For interviews you can present COPR as proof of status. For Dropbox I'll know in the next couple of weeks if they are good with COPR.

NNB18

May 10, 2022
I got only Dropbox option when selected "No". If you are able to book September appointment and can also wait then that's better rather than availing Dropbox now.

For interviews you can present COPR as proof of status. For Dropbox I'll know in the next couple of weeks if they are good with COPR.
I am planning to do the same. Please keep us posted.

zaid.ahmed23

Oct 30, 2019
Hello, I have a CoPR and am currrently residing and working in the US. I plan to visit Canada in the next month or two and get my PR activated. After that can I apply for US visa H1B stamping in Canada as a Canadian PR and become eligible for a dropbox? I had my H1B stamped first time from India and have more than 24 months left on my current H1B. The risk here is that currently I do not have H1B stamped on my passport, and I'd be leaving US with the hope that I'd be able to get it stamped in canada as a PR with dropbox option and then fly back to the US.

If you are planning to return back to US after landing in Canada, then why not use the AVR option?

Jun 11, 2022
Regarding "Are you traveling from another country to apply for US visa in Canada" question: If I do soft landing in Canada and silmultaneously book H1B stamping interview apppointment, can I select "No" for this question?

I feel since I am coming from the US and I am not residing in Canada, I should be selecting "Yes" but I have seen some posts in this forum where poeple report selecting "No" for similar situations.

If I do select "No" do I need to have a Canada resident address in my ds160?

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
thank you so much. Appreciate it. So would I be able to use AVR option for soft landing to activate my PR? Fly back to the US and worry about H1B standing later?
that’s pretty much the standard operating procedure!!

as long as you have covered the address where you need to ship your PR card and don’t have any pending cases with USCIS!!

And please dont say “soft landing” with CBSA they cringe at the word… just “landing”..

if you have a valid visa stamp then you are good.. but if your visa stamp expired take your I-797 approval which has the I-94 attached and reflects the new dates

Reactions: uncertainity_queen

devanger

Oct 12, 2020
Regarding "Are you traveling from another country to apply for US visa in Canada" question: If I do soft landing in Canada and silmultaneously book H1B stamping interview apppointment, can I select "No" for this question?

I feel since I am coming from the US and I am not residing in Canada, I should be selecting "Yes" but I have seen some posts in this forum where poeple report selecting "No" for similar situations.

If I do select "No" do I need to have a Canada resident address in my ds160?
I may be wrong here. Since you have PR, you should be able to select "No", because Canada is your "home" country at present. Even if it is India, you are still travelling to your home country for stamping, and you won't choose "Yes" for India right? Any thoughts?

Reactions: stscorcher

stscorcher

Jun 9, 2022
I may be wrong here. Since you have PR, you should be able to select "No", because Canada is your "home" country at present. Even if it is India, you are still travelling to your home country for stamping, and you won't choose "Yes" for India right? Any thoughts?
exactly my thoughts on why i selected "no" for that question...and that is what i did too!!!