+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b impact on citizenship

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hi Folks,

Does having an H1b (USA) affect the citizenship process? Specifically, for those living in canada and commuting on weekdays to USA for work (Detroit-Windsor, Vancouver-Seattle, Buffalo-Fort Erie).

How about for PR renewal, does it have any impact? technically you are maintaining physical presence in Canada if you leave for work and come back the same day.

Just wanted to know from folks...

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi Folks,

Does having an H1b (USA) affect the citizenship process? Specifically, for those living in canada and commuting on weekdays to USA for work (Detroit-Windsor, Vancouver-Seattle, Buffalo-Fort Erie).

How about for PR renewal, does it have any impact? technically you are maintaining physical presence in Canada if you leave for work and come back the same day.

Just wanted to know from folks...
You would need to account for every single trip accurately, including day trips to the US on the physical presence calculator. IRCC may ask for US travel records, and FBI clearance which can cause delays in the processing of your application. Also, IMO, slightly higher risk of getting a residence questionnaire to prove you were in Canada for the time you claim to be.

Of-course this is the worst case. But you absolutely have to account for every single trip out of Canada, even if you came back the same day.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
You would need to account for every single trip accurately, including day trips to the US on the physical presence calculator. IRCC may ask for US travel records, and FBI clearance which can cause delays in the processing of your application. Also, IMO, slightly higher risk of getting a residence questionnaire to prove you were in Canada for the time you claim to be.

Of-course this is the worst case. But you absolutely have to account for every single trip out of Canada, even if you came back the same day.
Why do we need fbi clearance? Maybe I should have mentioned that I already have my Canada PR. I have a job offer in detroit. Have been trying to get a job for the past year in Canada, but it just hasn't happened yet.

What would be the best way to keep a record of the entry/exit to and from Canada