+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B/H4 entry changes as per July 16th update

IamBeingPatient

Star Member
Aug 8, 2017
My wife had her H1B approved in February 2020 and is currently working in US. I am on a work permit in Canada. As per the Presidential proclamation on June 22nd I know H4 visa applicants/holders were not allowed into the country till Dec 31st this year. But there were some exemptions made on July 16th that states..

"For H4, L2, and J2 visas:
The Department of State will continue to issue visas to otherwise qualified H, L, and J derivative applicants who will accompany or follow to join a principal applicant who is excepted from, or not subject to, the Proclamations. An exception is also available when the principal applicant is currently in the United States in valid status."

So would this mean I can apply for an expedited appointment and can enter the country if I manage to get an appointment and then a visa?
Can anyone who has an elaborate understanding on this news/update let me know what it means?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
My wife had her H1B approved in February 2020 and is currently working in US. I am on a work permit in Canada. As per the Presidential proclamation on June 22nd I know H4 visa applicants/holders were not allowed into the country till Dec 31st this year. But there were some exemptions made on July 16th that states..

"For H4, L2, and J2 visas:
The Department of State will continue to issue visas to otherwise qualified H, L, and J derivative applicants who will accompany or follow to join a principal applicant who is excepted from, or not subject to, the Proclamations. An exception is also available when the principal applicant is currently in the United States in valid status."

So would this mean I can apply for an expedited appointment and can enter the country if I manage to get an appointment and then a visa?
Can anyone who has an elaborate understanding on this news/update let me know what it means?
Yes correct you can apply for H4 as state department clarified on dependent visas. Refer this page of additional detail about the clarification tweet by state dept.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/rumors-about-an-executive-order-that-bans-the-entry-h1b-holders-around.691179/page-21