+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B extension dropbox refused Toronto

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I'm in Toronto and my H1b extension dropbox was refused today. I have scheduled an in person appointment in late august in Toronto.

However, my PR card expired last month. I had submitted a copy of my PR card as a proof of Canadian permanent residency in the dropbox.

1. Will the expiry of PR card be an issue?
2. Could this be a reason for the in-person interview request?
3. Can I expedite the interview? I don't have any emergency other than my employer want's me back at work at the earliest.

Thanks!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I'm in Toronto and my H1b extension dropbox was refused today. I have scheduled an in person appointment in late august in Toronto.

However, my PR card expired last month. I had submitted a copy of my PR card as a proof of Canadian permanent residency in the dropbox.

1. Will the expiry of PR card be an issue?
2. Could this be a reason for the in-person interview request?
3. Can I expedite the interview? I don't have any emergency other than my employer want's me back at work at the earliest.

Thanks!
I am not able to understand the exact situation.

What is meant by dropbox refused? Doesnt the site tell you if you are eligible for dropbox or force you to select the interview date?

Or do you mean that you sent the documents and now they ask you to appear for interview? If this is the case then its normal for many as there is no guarantee for you avail dropbox. There can be any reason which we dont know about. No one knows if they want to make sure if you are a PR, or work related document/clarification required, or job related information required or to be verified.
No need to try predicting on this. Just attend your interview. Take enough docs to prove that you have the job in US.

You can expedite at any time, as long as you have valid emergency situation except non-emergency things like "employer/client wanted you".

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I am not able to understand the exact situation.

What is meant by dropbox refused? Doesnt the site tell you if you are eligible for dropbox or force you to select the interview date?

Or do you mean that you sent the documents and now they ask you to appear for interview? If this is the case then its normal for many as there is no guarantee for you avail dropbox. There can be any reason which we dont know about. No one knows if they want to make sure if you are a PR, or work related document/clarification required, or job related information required or to be verified.
No need to try predicting on this. Just attend your interview. Take enough docs to prove that you have the job in US.

You can expedite at any time, as long as you have valid emergency situation except non-emergency things like "employer/client wanted you".
Yes I submitted the dropbox but they asked me to schedule an interview which is in late August. I called the consulate and asked whether expired PR card is ok? He said I'll have to check this with the consular officer at the time of the interview and he could not confirm it eitherway. Besides PR card I have a soft copy of the COPR (unsigned) that I got in mail from IRCC in 2017.

Do you think I should attend the interview or basically cancel this and fill a new DS 160 and apointment in Mexico/India? My office is also not allowing remote work for so many days. And I am not sure what are chances of visa refusal due to invalid PR card?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes I submitted the dropbox but they asked me to schedule an interview which is in late August. I called the consulate and asked whether expired PR card is ok? He said I'll have to check this with the consular officer at the time of the interview and he could not confirm it eitherway. Besides PR card I have a soft copy of the COPR (unsigned) that I got in mail from IRCC in 2017.

Do you think I should attend the interview or basically cancel this and fill a new DS 160 and apointment in Mexico/India? My office is also not allowing remote work for so many days. And I am not sure what are chances of visa refusal due to invalid PR card?
I am still not clear if you are having valid PR status, doesnt matter if card is valid. You can simply tell them that card is expired and you applied for renewal(or cant renew till you move to Canada etc). Yes you can show copr (but i thought that make you land and sign at the border on copr in 2017 as i completed my process in 2016 but not sure if process changed after 2015). I assume that that is your valid copr.

if you dont have pr status(which means, you are not maintaining your residency obligation since it has been 5 years since 2017) then you shouldnt attend interview in canada. In this case, try attending interview at your passport country to avoid getting stuck in some other country.

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I am still not clear if you are having valid PR status, doesnt matter if card is valid. You can simply tell them that card is expired and you applied for renewal(or cant renew till you move to Canada etc). Yes you can show copr (but i thought that make you land and sign at the border on copr in 2017 as i completed my process in 2016 but not sure if process changed after 2015). I assume that that is your valid copr.

if you dont have pr status(which means, you are not maintaining your residency obligation since it has been 5 years since 2017) then you shouldnt attend interview in canada. In this case, try attending interview at your passport country to avoid getting stuck in some other country.
Yes I did not meet RO since I have been living in USA since many years. So I cannot apply to renew PR card as it wold be denied. What could happen in this case? Why do you think US consulate worries about my Canada PR status? They are two different countries right? THey shold ideally approve/deny visa based on my US visa documents right?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes I did not meet RO since I have been living in USA since many years. So I cannot apply to renew PR card as it wold be denied. What could happen in this case? Why do you think US consulate worries about my Canada PR status? They are two different countries right? THey shold ideally approve/deny visa based on my US visa documents right?
if you are not on status then i assume that you are in US and per my experience i need to send passport for dropbox stamping. I am not sure if you tried to send passport for stamping from US but not going back to canada while its processing. I beleive that you cannot get mailed back to US after stamping as they will deliver within the country Canada only.

Above issue and its your application which tells that you are PR hence they are asking for unexpired document, based on your own submission of information. if you would have said, you are coming in canada as a visitor to apply for visa then there wouldnt be question of valid pr card etc. So they dont worry whether you have status or not, its your expired document prompted them to ask you to come in-person to simply avoid wasting any more time to prove your status in Canada.

You should have never tried to request appointment in a country where you dont have valid status(or where you cannot attain legal status without cancelling pr status first).

I have mailed passport to consulate from Detroit but went back in few days to my residence and waited for my passport stamping to get completed(as its not that you cannot mail the application from US but intended that the applicant to be back inside Canada while processing, as per my understanding).

I saw news that we can get it stamped within US. I am not sure when they are starting on it.

Last edited:

aspirer123

Sep 14, 2023
Hi All,

I applied for H1B and got petition approved. When I booked an interview for stamping, I got Interview Waiver and submitted documents through courier (Canada Post). Below are the timelines.

07-Sep-2023 : Submitted documents to Toronto US Consulate through Canada Post
08-Sep-2023 : Package delivered to Toronto US Consulate
08-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website showed "No Status" (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx)
12-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website changed to "Application Received"
13-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website changed t "Refused"

Now I'm waiting for response from US consulate to see what is the reason and if they need any additional documents. But based on my research in forums, most of Dropbox application in Canada Toronto consulate are being asked to attend In-Person Interview.

Did anyone face this situation? If yes, are they asking us to book new interview or attend interview on nay day in the consulate? I see in India they are giving this option of attending interview any day without booking appointment.

rthtor

May 4, 2018
Hi All,

I applied for H1B and got petition approved. When I booked an interview for stamping, I got Interview Waiver and submitted documents through courier (Canada Post). Below are the timelines.

07-Sep-2023 : Submitted documents to Toronto US Consulate through Canada Post
08-Sep-2023 : Package delivered to Toronto US Consulate
08-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website showed "No Status" (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx)
12-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website changed to "Application Received"
13-Sep-2023 : Status in CEAC website changed t "Refused"

Now I'm waiting for response from US consulate to see what is the reason and if they need any additional documents. But based on my research in forums, most of Dropbox application in Canada Toronto consulate are being asked to attend In-Person Interview.

Did anyone face this situation? If yes, are they asking us to book new interview or attend interview on nay day in the consulate? I see in India they are giving this option of attending interview any day without booking appointment.
Did they return your passport?