+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b dropbox - Ottawa, Canada

rishupandit

Jun 4, 2022
I am residing in US on H1B and need to get stamping on the renewal. Considering delays in India, I am considering visiting Canada[on tourist visa] and getting my stamping done. Since DS160 needs the dropbox location stated ahead, what are the wait times for various Canada US Consulate locations right now?
Would I still do DropBox? I was originally eligible for dropbox if I were to go to India. Would that hold good for Canada also?

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
I am residing in US on H1B and need to get stamping on the renewal. Considering delays in India, I am considering visiting Canada[on tourist visa] and getting my stamping done. Since DS160 needs the dropbox location stated ahead, what are the wait times for various Canada US Consulate locations right now?
Would I still do DropBox? I was originally eligible for dropbox if I were to go to India. Would that hold good for Canada also?
You are not eligible for drop box in Canada as you're on a tourist visa. Drop box in Canada is only for Canadian PR holders, citizens and in some cases residents (work permit).

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
@devregati (Namaskara -- in case you're a Kannadiga based on your username) :)

Can you please share your thoughts on our situation - my spouse needs to urgently travel to India, but we're unable to find any dropbox appointments until 2023 in order to return to the US (we'll be permanently moving to Canada later this year).

For some context, my partner previously had an F-1 student visa and is currently living in the US as a dependent (on an approved H-4 petition), so it was determined to be eligible for a visa waiver (dropbox). What options do we have given it's an emergency?

1) Can we schedule an appointment (interview/dropbox) in Canada as PR holders?
2) If yes, how are general slots availability in Canada? (Since we already paid for DS-160 in India, we haven't yet registered on the Canadian site, but just trying to get a general idea of how it is in Canada)

devregati

Star Member
May 16, 2022
@devregati (Namaskara -- in case you're a Kannadiga based on your username) :)

Can you please share your thoughts on our situation - my spouse needs to urgently travel to India, but we're unable to find any dropbox appointments until 2023 in order to return to the US (we'll be permanently moving to Canada later this year).

For some context, my partner previously had an F-1 student visa and is currently living in the US as a dependent (on an approved H-4 petition), so it was determined to be eligible for a visa waiver (dropbox). What options do we have given it's an emergency?

1) Can we schedule an appointment (interview/dropbox) in Canada as PR holders?
2) If yes, how are general slots availability in Canada? (Since we already paid for DS-160 in India, we haven't yet registered on the Canadian site, but just trying to get a general idea of how it is in Canada)
Namaskara.
1) Yes you should be able to qualify for dropbox in Canada as a PR holder, though you live in the US.
2) You need to complete a new DS-160 by selecting one of the consulate/embassy in Canada and pay $190 again. Go over the questionnaires and you should qualify for dropbox.
I do not know how to get an in-person slot in Canada once you qualify for dropbox. Also the emergency you list should be an emergency in the US and not India as far as I understand. i.e., your/spouse employer needs you/spouse to be in US to perform their job as it would result in XYZ. Hope that helps!
DhanyavadagaLu :)

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
Namaskara.
1) Yes you should be able to qualify for dropbox in Canada as a PR holder, though you live in the US.
2) You need to complete a new DS-160 by selecting one of the consulate/embassy in Canada and pay $190 again. Go over the questionnaires and you should qualify for dropbox.
I do not know how to get an in-person slot in Canada once you qualify for dropbox. Also the emergency you list should be an emergency in the US and not India as far as I understand. i.e., your/spouse employer needs you/spouse to be in US to perform their job as it would result in XYZ. Hope that helps!
DhanyavadagaLu :)

Hi @devregati, thumba thanks for answering and sharing your thoughts. It's helpful :)

Had a couple of clarifications to plan this out:
1) Would you happen to know the current timeline of how long dropbox appointments + processing times are taking in Canada (if our case is not regarded as an emergency and it would just be a normal dropbox application)?
2) Since we are currently in the US, we are wondering how to apply for the dropbox. On the website (https://ais.usvisa-info.com), looks like there are two options:

I am a Non Canadian Citizen residing in the U.S. and want to apply for a visa.
or
I am a Non Canadian Citizen residing in Canada who has completed the U.S. Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160) form and want to apply for a visa.

Not sure which option would help us in our situation -- wondering if it would be better to make an appointment while we are in the US or to do it only when we are in Canada.

DhanyavadagaLu :) Your suggestions will help us a lot in this crucial phase.