+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B and H4 stamping

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello All and Harirajmohan Sir,

1. I am moving next week to Windsor permanently. So, my question is do I need for my spouse to keep H4 visa or else change it to B1/B2?? Can she keep H4 visa even outside from USA??

2. Can I keep my USA health insurance for a while since Ontario will give insurance after 90 days...Is it correct?

3. Can I keep my USA driver license also for some months and if yes, for how many months I will keep my US driver license?

4. Within 30 days, Is it mandatory to come USA using AVR until work from home is in place?? Whenever I will come USA, do I need to quarantine for 14 days when go back to Canada on same day??

5. Can I travel via road on passport and COPR as I m waiting for my PR card??

Last edited:

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020

1. I am moving next week to Windsor permanently. So, my question is do I need for my spouse to keep H4 visa or else change it to B1/B2?? Can she keep H4 visa even outside from USA??

2. Can I keep my USA health insurance for a while since Ontario will give insurance after 90 days...Is it correct?

3. Can I keep my USA driver license also for some months and if yes, for how many months I will keep my US driver license?

4. Within 30 days, Is it mandatory to come USA using AVR until work from home is in place?? Whenever I will come USA, do I need to quarantine for 14 days when go back to Canada on same day??

Hello:

Congratulations on making a decision to move to Canada.

1. Once you move to Canada permanently, your wife may or might not be able to return to US on H4 at the descretion of CBP. It is highly advisable to switch to B1/B2 to avoid any potential issues.
2. It is recommended to keep US insurance until you get one from Ontario. My understanding is that you qualify for Ontario health insurance right away as a PR. I also heard of some special waivers during the pandemic.
3. When you apply for Ontario drivers license, you are expected to submit your US drivers license to them. Until then you can keep your US license.
4. Did your US H1B visa expire? If yes, if you would like to maintain US H1B visa status, you need to go to US at least once every 30 days as per AVR rule. If you are going to US for work regularly, Canada might not ask you to quarantine since your travel might be considered essential as a cross border worker. I heard about a recent case when someone went to US only to get a TN Visa and they were asked to quarantine since it was for non essential work! So, I think this could be at the descretion of the Canadian immigration officers.
5. Yes, COPR can be used to travel by road to Canada.

Good Luck.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015

1. Is your spouse staying in the US in H4 status? They are not allowed to do that since the principal is no longer living in the US. As for returning to the US, if the H1B spouse is returning in H1B status to live (not just commute/visit), then the H4 spouse can accompany them on H4 Visa. Otherwise, they will need to obtain B1/B2 Visa to visit the US. Other than that, there is nothing to 'keep'. Once you leave the US you don't have any non-immigrant status.

2. Yes, you should keep it if you can. Whether doctors/hospitals in Canada will accept that or not (and whether the insurance company will approve the claims or not) depends upon your plan. But recently, Ontario is waiving waiting period.

3. If you are importing a car and registering in Ontario, then you will need Ontario DL.

4. Mandatory? Who do you think will make this mandatory US/Canada/Employer? As PR, Canada will not ever ask you to leave.

5. Yes you can.