+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Category for Parents

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Hi Friends, Need some suggestion if my parents case can be potential H&C case - both struggling alone in my home country. However, have heard that CIC does lot of questions on these cases and success rate is <50%.

Can someone guide me on this? I can share more details of parents:

1. Both are ~80 yrs.
2. Father underwent cancer surgery late last year.
3. My mom is taking care of her and she also has few medical problems.
4. Both are alone in home country...

Can this fall under H&C category... looking for your thoughts?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Friends, Need some suggestion if my parents case can be potential H&C case - both struggling alone in my home country. However, have heard that CIC does lot of questions on these cases and success rate is <50%.

Can someone guide me on this? I can share more details of parents:

1. Both are ~80 yrs.
2. Father underwent cancer surgery late last year.
3. My mom is taking care of her and she also has few medical problems.
4. Both are alone in home country...

Can this fall under H&C category... looking for your thoughts?
They need to be physically in Canada in order to apply for H&C. They cannot apply from outside of Canada. So the first step is for them to get a TRV and come to Canada.

If you are an only child and they have no other family in their home country, I would say they chances are probably greater than 50% of success (but of course not guaranteed).

You should be aware that your parents will not qualify for provincial health care coverage until they have first stage approval in the H&C application. This seems to be taking 1.5 - 2 years (sometimes more) these days. So if you go the H&C route, you need to be prepared to pay for all of their medical care yourself for 1.5 to 2+ years.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
like having them here in CA? As you mentioned supporting them "they living with us", I need to manage their medicals and with ~80 yrs, it will be tough. Can this case be filed under Asylum or any other option?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
like having them here in CA? As you mentioned supporting them "they living with us", I need to manage their medicals and with ~80 yrs, it will be tough. Can this case be filed under Asylum or any other option?
They aren't refugees. If you try to go the refugee / asylum route, they'll end up being refused and will be forced to leave Canada.

The only other option for PR is for you to sponsor them through the parent / grandparent sponsorship route. To qualify to sponsor them, you will need to be living in Canada and meet the minimum income requirements for at least three years in a row. You will also have to be selected (only a limited number of sponsorships are allowed per year). Note that they will have to pass a medical to be accepted and there's a good chance your father may be refused due to his health.

Your best option may be to pay for care in their home country. Bringing them to Canada may not be possible under the circumstances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that they seem to have gotten rid of the 2 stage process so it could be 3+ years before the qualify for healthcare if they qualify. If they were able to get to Canada given their health issues and qualify for supervisa insurance would only cover emergencies until the person is stabilized and may not cover emergencies related to recent medical issues. You would need to be prepared to be able to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars if something medical happens again.

It is certainly up to your family to decide what to do but you will also need to look if you have extra savings that you can use for medical expenses. Most families are not in that position. Just their regular expenses may be quite expensive. Just daily expenses for medications may add up.

As others have suggested it is likely much less expensive and realistic to hire people in their city to help with running errands, doing cleaning and cooking, helping with personal care, etc. You may be able to pay for nursing or doctor home visits in their country. These services would be significantly more expensive in Canada.

Reactions: jddd

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It sounds like you are not currently living in Canada and haven’t lived in Canada since the 1 year you spent in around 2013-2014. You have been in the US with some time in your home country during that time. You parents were closer to 75 in your previous posts. Your situation will likely delay when your parents can attempt to visit Canada. Your parents don’t currently qualify for a supervisa. Not sure whether they would qualify for a TRV. Only being established in Canada for a while before trying to apply for H&C for your parents could impact on whether they are approved.

Reactions: jddd

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Appreciate your thoughts folks and agree, bringing them over here will be a challenge in terms helping them medically. I just want to see and explore if its a possibility. But I understand your POVs. Thanks Canuck78 and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Appreciate your thoughts folks and agree, bringing them over here will be a challenge in terms helping them medically. I just want to see and explore if its a possibility. But I understand your POVs. Thanks Canuck78 and scylla
Exploring the options usually means that you will be paying for any routine care and that you should pay for insurance with more than 100k coverage and repatriation. If you are millionaires that can afford major medical expenses you may be able to absorb huge medical expenses but we see people on this forum paying out of pocket for large bills and will be on payment plans to pay off for those large bills for a very long time or being refused rehabilitation because their previous bill has not been paid in full. Your parents don’t care for nursing home and there is no capacity for FNs so if sick and somewhat stable you Will be expected to take your parents home. There is a lot of people who would prefer to have their parents with them. You are asking about working remotely from Canada so the argument could be made that you can work remotely from your home country and care for your parents.

Your father may not be able to pass a medical. Coming to Canada without even emergency medical insurance that covers all health issues is such a huge financial risk. A reoccurrence of cancer can easily be over a couple hundred thousands of dollars.

Last edited: