+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guide: How to write SOP (Statement of Purpose)

gauravvns

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience of student visa application and information I gathered through different channels about writing SOP. We all know SOP is one of the most important part of Student Visa Application

Most important thing: NEVER EVER copy from INTERNET. Being original always helps.

While writing SOP, following things to be mentioned which will boost chances of getting visa approved:

1. Introduce yourself in first paragraph. Write, what kind of person you are, your interests and personality etc. This may also include one line background of work ex & study you did earlier. This should related to the course your are going to pursue.

2. Explain what do you know about the area of study you are applying for. Like HR, Marketing, Finance, IT, Multimedia, Engineering etc. Market trends, application of knowledge in work, organisations/roles where you can work after studying in this XYZ field and if possible, 1-2 real life example where you experienced this personally (in your current job or someone in family who works in this field etc.)This shows you are well read and know what you are getting yourself into.

3. Now explain Why Canada. Mention all points Canada is famous for like low crime rate, diversity (which helps in learning), livability and quality of life related statistics etc. Facts & figures help you here. Google a little

4. Why this particular college/Univ. Explain ranking of the same or relevance of course being offered or if someone known is studying there etc. Mention positive points which you can gather from ex-student's testimonials and college website itself. Again, write in your own language and by your own understanding.

5. Why this Program: Mention why you chose this program. Explain how courses (subjects) of this course will help you in your career, how some of these subjects you have learnt earlier (basic knowledge) and need better and upgraded knowledge about these (especially if applying for PG/masters), explain application of subjects in real job scenario etc.

6. Summarize with reason of coming back to home country: Now summarize all details by mentioning your career goals and what will you do post completing this course.Mention how this course will help you in making your career in your home country. Be passionate about job market of your home country and coming back to your country. Because "You'll not leave Canada" is one of the biggest reason for Student Visa refusal.

7. (Optional but recommended) You planning and preparation w.r.t. finances: Mention that you have deposited required GIC amount and 1 year course fee to establish your resolution, firm decision and determination/preparedness to study in Canada.

Happy Writing

Reactions: Minsc's Boo

Darshan415

Sep 27, 2019
Hello
I took two years program and I have two part Time semester in this two years program so please can you give me some information that I’m eligible for pgwp or any suggestions

gauravvns

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Hello
I took two years program and I have two part Time semester in this two years program so please can you give me some information that I’m eligible for pgwp or any suggestions
If you had at least 1 full year course, you should be eligible. But not sure. You may ask in other thread as this one is about SOP

gauravvns

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Hi All,

Just wanted to share my experience of student visa application and information I gathered through different channels about writing SOP. We all know SOP is one of the most important part of Student Visa Application

Most important thing: NEVER EVER copy from INTERNET. Being original always helps.

While writing SOP, following things to be mentioned which will boost chances of getting visa approved:

1. Introduce yourself in first paragraph. Write, what kind of person you are, your interests and personality etc. This may also include one line background of work ex & study you did earlier. This should related to the course your are going to pursue.

2. Explain what do you know about the area of study you are applying for. Like HR, Marketing, Finance, IT, Multimedia, Engineering etc. Market trends, application of knowledge in work, organisations/roles where you can work after studying in this XYZ field and if possible, 1-2 real life example where you experienced this personally (in your current job or someone in family who works in this field etc.)This shows you are well read and know what you are getting yourself into.

3. Now explain Why Canada. Mention all points Canada is famous for like low crime rate, diversity (which helps in learning), livability and quality of life related statistics etc. Facts & figures help you here. Google a little

4. Why this particular college/Univ. Explain ranking of the same or relevance of course being offered or if someone known is studying there etc. Mention positive points which you can gather from ex-student's testimonials and college website itself. Again, write in your own language and by your own understanding.

5. Why this Program: Mention why you chose this program. Explain how courses (subjects) of this course will help you in your career, how some of these subjects you have learnt earlier (basic knowledge) and need better and upgraded knowledge about these (especially if applying for PG/masters), explain application of subjects in real job scenario etc.

6. Summarize with reason of coming back to home country: Now summarize all details by mentioning your career goals and what will you do post completing this course.Mention how this course will help you in making your career in your home country. Be passionate about job market of your home country and coming back to your country. Because "You'll not leave Canada" is one of the biggest reason for Student Visa refusal.

7. (Optional but recommended) You planning and preparation w.r.t. finances: Mention that you have deposited required GIC amount and 1 year course fee to establish your resolution, firm decision and determination/preparedness to study in Canada.

Happy Writing

AskBD

Star Member
May 27, 2019
Hi All,

Happy Writing
Hello,
Very good article. I think all these points are really important. Do you suggest to maintain different paragraphs for all these points?

Alps what do you think is the standard size of an SOP? Like 2 page or 3 page or else?

Sabah Azeez

Jul 16, 2021
Hello,
Very good article. I think all these points are really important. Do you suggest to maintain different paragraphs for all these points?

Alps what do you think is the standard size of an SOP? Like 2 page or 3 page or else?
2 pages are enough