+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance on TRP application for dependent child born in Abu Dhabi to PR parents

an5ar1

Jul 17, 2014
Fellow members!

My situation:
I, My wife and our daughter became Permanent residents of Canada in May 2015.
Soon after, I got a job in Abu Dhabi and had to start work here. In Aug 2015, my son was born in Abu Dhabi.
I have actively been searching for jobs in Canada since I became PR but due to current oil and gas market, I am unable to find a suitable job.
My daughter is due to start school in Sep 2017 and I would like for my wife to settle back in Canada while i keep searching for a job in Canada. I shall return to canada with them for a while to make settlement arrangements (i.e. buy a house, furnish the house and make necessary arrangements for them to easily remain in Canada without being a burden on social benefits).
Current status:
I inquired the Canadian embassy in Abu Dhabi explaining my situation and my intent to apply for my son's PR or visitor visa. They replied back with the following:
Quote "
[Based on the information you have provided, you are a Permanent Resident (PR) who is currently residing outside of Canada and you have a child who was born outside of Canada after you obtained your PR status.

Please note that PR who does not live in Canada is not eligible to sponsor close family members for permanent residence. In order to sponsor a close family member, you, the sponsor, must reside in Canada throughout the sponsorship and application process.

If your child is only going to Canada for tourism or to visit family for a short period, you should submit a complete Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) application on behalf of your child. For information on how to apply for a TRV, please visit our website.

If your family intends to return to Canada with your non-PR child to live permanently, you still must submit a TRV application for the child. If the Visa Officer is satisfied that: 1) you (yourself, your PR spouse and any other PR children) meet the residency requirements, and 2) your entire family is relocating to Canada to live permanently, your child may be granted a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) valid for a single journey to facilitate his or her entry to Canada. This process would enable you to initiate a sponsorship application for your child once you have arrive in Canada.

Please note that a TRP is not an immigrant visa and it does not give your child PR status upon arrival in Canada. Further details on how to obtain a TRP will be provided if the Visa Officer determines your child is eligible. Your child must undergo a medical examination before a TRP is considered. This will add approximately 4 weeks to the processing time of the application. You will also be required to pay additional fees for the TRP and to submit additional documents to demonstrate your family’s relocation to Canada. As an example, both PR parents will be asked to provide a copy of their resignation letters with a proof that the resignation has been accepted by their employers and proof of cancellation of the entire family’s residence visas. Do NOT undertake these procedures until we have requested you to do so.

The application will be in process for a minimum of 4 weeks. Please plan accordingly. "
] unquote.

My query:

1. In my situation, what are the chances I will be able to attain a TRP for my son from Abu Dhabi and keep my job until i find a suitable job in Canada?
2. What proofs can I provide along with my application for TRP that I genuinely wish to return to Canada? (Is buying a house in Canada prior to initiating TRP application a strong justification?)
3. What other options do I have?

I will very much appreciate the guidance of all members in this regard.
Happy holidays and a Happy new year in advance.

Thank you.
An5ar1

notusman

May 26, 2017
Hi Ansar,

I am going to have a similar situation to yours. My wife is due to deliver in April 2018 and we may receive the PPR request anytime soon. We are planning the delivery in Dubai as we are resident here.

Your guidance would be appreciated.

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
Hi Ansar,

I am going to have a similar situation to yours. My wife is due to deliver in April 2018 and we may receive the PPR request anytime soon. We are planning the delivery in Dubai as we are resident here.

Your guidance would be appreciated.
Hello!

just wondering if you were able to get the required information in this scenario as I’m currently in the same boat. Thank u

N90

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Hello!

just wondering if you were able to get the required information in this scenario as I’m currently in the same boat. Thank u
You can apply for a normal TRV for your child. They will convert it to TRP from Abu Dhabi embassy if you meet the requirements. Will ask you to do medical and pay CAD 200 additional fee for processing. We applied in June for our baby. And received medical and fee request just last week. So took 3 months so far.

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
You can apply for a normal TRV for your child. They will convert it to TRP from Abu Dhabi embassy if you meet the requirements. Will ask you to do medical and pay CAD 200 additional fee for processing. We applied in June for our baby. And received medical and fee request just last week. So took 3 months so far.
Ah great thank you, I’ve also applied for TRV. Are you planning on converting the TRP to a PR application for your child when you reach canada?

N90

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
Ah great thank you, I’ve also applied for TRV. Are you planning on converting the TRP to a PR application for your child when you reach canada?
There is no option to convert etc. but our baby’s PR application was submitted in June since my husband already is inCanada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is no converting a TRV to a TRP. Usually if denied a TRV you can apply for a TRP.

N90

Star Member
Oct 21, 2019
There is no converting a TRV to a TRP. Usually if denied a TRV you can apply for a TRP.
Well this is from my personal experience. We didnt have to reapply. Just applied for a normal TRV. We received a request for medical and additional fee of 200 cad to process TRP. No new application was made.