+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance for TRV application from inside Canada after receiving Student Permit extension of minor child

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
I am on a Closed Work Permit valid till Jan-2025. My 10 year old son's original Student Permit & TRV expired on Oct-2023 (due to Passport expiration). I applied for his Student Permit extension in Sep-2023 (after renewing his passport) and got his Student Permit extension approval last week extending his permit to Jan-2025 (matching my status).

I now wanted to apply for a fresh TRV for my son from within Canada. For the same I have started filing out the application on his behalf but I had some questions regarding the below supporting documents being asked as part of this:

1. Document: Recent Education Transcript. My son is in Elementary school so would a transcript be required? Or would there be any other supporting document to be used in lieu of this
2. Document: Proof of Next Terms Enrolment. Again, would request guidance on what can be submitted for this requirement.

Any inputs/guidance on this would be most appreciated.

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020
Hi @VikTheRam

I am also applying for TRV for my 9 year old child after study permit extension.
I don't see anywhere it is asking to upload these transcript or enrollment letter. As far as I know, these documents are not required for elementary school kids.
Also, What have you answered for the question "What does your family member want to do in Canada"- Is it 'Apply to remain in Canada as a visitor' ?
and which form are you filling for your child. is it IMM 5708 or IMM 5257?

Thanks!

Last edited:

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
I have filled out the questionnaire first after logging into the GCKey account. I have filled out the questionnaire on my son's behalf, so the question I have answered is "What would you like to do in Canada?" to which I have answered "Study".

The form which is automatically shown is the IMM5257: Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made Outside of Canada. Again I believe the form should be for the option of application from Inside Canada. In the Supporting Document section, it asks for Transcripts etc.

Not sure what I am doing wrong but I am attaching the link to questionnaire and document checklist pdf's along with this post. Would be grateful if you could review and see if you can find out where I am going wrong!

Questionnaire
Document Checklist

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020
@VikTheRam
OK, I see it now. As you have not answered 'Yes' to the question 'Do you want to submit an application for a family member', it is not really considered as an application for minor child, rather assuming the student himself is applying, it is asking to upload all these docs usually applicable to college/university students who are applying for TRV once they get their PGWP.
However, I think you can upload a letter of explanation stating these docs won't apply in your case. Also worth mentioning you are applying on behalf of your minor child (as I don't see 'Use of a family representative form IMM 5713' in your checklist to indicate you are applying for a family member)
Wish I could help more, but I am also searching for right answers, but haven't got much help with this.

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
I found this thread and have added to it:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/trv-imm5708-instead-of-imm5257.511340/page-3#post-10773756

Have tried option of creating 2 GCKey accounts and also adding minor to an adult GC key account. Both seem to have their own set of issues.

If I try to submit TRV application for adult & minor through same GCkey account, the minor gets IMM5708 form triggered. However, if I create 2 separate applications using 2 different GCKey accounts, then I get separate IMM5257 forms for each. The problem with this approach however is that I don't know whether a minor is allowed to have a GCkey account and be the primary applicant? Secondly, for the minor, there is a long list of supporting documents such as transcripts and proof of continued education, which are not available in my case where the minor is attending elementary school.

From what I am able to understand after looking at various posts is that perhaps its better to submit paper application rather than online or get a representative to do the submission. If you are able to figure out something else, please do share.

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020
Right, I too have seen it in other threads and surprisingly, no definite answer. I will share if I figure out something.
Thanks!

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020
@VikTheRam - It seems like we can create GCKey account for minor (I couldn't see any age restriction mentioned anywhere) and apply as a primary applicant. And for those supporting documents for IMM5257, I am going to ask the school district head office if they can provide any. If I don't get it, I am going to attach some screenshots from the school portal along with a letter of explanation.

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
@rjbangalore Let me know how it goes with the school district board. My kid is in the Halton District School Board and they're known to be a bit difficult in terms of their support.

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020
@VikTheRam my school district board told to get the enrollment letter from school. For transcripts, I have a report card that I can download from parent portal of our school. Guess you might have something similar in your school website.

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
I have reached out to my son's school and they have agreed to provide the letter of enrollment. I will do the same thing for the transcript requirement.

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
The school's just issued like a general profile for my son which provides his biographical information along with name of the school, school ID, grade, name of the teacher, parent's details and home address. I wonder if this will suffice

VikTheRam

May 11, 2023
Did you apply based on the extension approval letter or only after getting the actual student permit document? I am still awaiting the student permit in the mail, although I have received the confirmation that the extension has been approved.