Sydney NovaScotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 26 2014
AOR Received.
Awaiting
Hello,

My fiance is a US green card holder and is planning to visit me in Canada. At the port of entry if she says that she is visiting fiance, can that create any issues? She has bought a return ticket and has a part time job as a School Teacher in US. I just read online and visiting a fiance could sometimes raise red flags and border officer could deny entry.

thanks in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

My fiance is a US green card holder and is planning to visit me in Canada. At the port of entry if she says that she is visiting fiance, can that create any issues? She has bought a return ticket and has a part time job as a School Teacher in US. I just read online and visiting a fiance could sometimes raise red flags and border officer could deny entry.

thanks in advance
Yes visiting a fiancée could create concerns that she will decide to remain in Canada. That is why proof of return ticket and proof of other ties to the US are important. For example proof of her job in the US is one of the ties but if it is a substitute teaching job that doesn’t provide much of a tie. If she has a contract to provide part-time teaching on certain days of the week for the whole school year that would provide stronger ties to the US. If she has her own home or rents her own home that would provide ties to the US. If the wedding is scheduled and the ceremony is in the US then that would provide some proof that she will be returning to the US. If she needs to live in the US to secure citizenship for example that would provide some incentive to not remain in Canada and return to the US. In this situation your fiancée is in a bit of a catch 22. She wants a good reason to visit Canada and I assume she may be staying with your family so she would be able to say that she is being provided free housing so doesn’t need as much savings if her amount of funds is ever a concern. On the other side she doesn’t want any concern that she is trying to remain in Canada. Would suggest being honest especially if she has no plans of remaining in Canada. Assume there is a chance you may be Muslim given your username. If are more conservative and would never consider living together before marriage then that could be another reason why remaining in Canada would not make sense. If she is ever questioned your fiancée can explain that she is visiting you but you are staying with other family or she is staying with other family or whatever arrangements you have made to remain separate and separate from other men in the family. Whatever you are doing would not make sense longterm so you will only live together after you get married.