+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Grandparent is US Citizen, Can they stay for 2 years?

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
We are currently in the process of applying for PR, and will have submitted our application before my mother comes to stay with us. How long can she stay with us?

She is a US citizen and the guidelines say that US citizens do not need to apply for a SuperVisa, or a Visitor's Visa, however, they also say, she is limited to a six month visit.

We want her to live with us, and will sponsor her as soon as we can. I have seem some people talk about renewing visitor's visa's, but if the visitor is a US citizen, how do you do that, if you do not get a visa to begin with?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
We are currently in the process of applying for PR, and will have submitted our application before my mother comes to stay with us. How long can she stay with us?

She is a US citizen and the guidelines say that US citizens do not need to apply for a SuperVisa, or a Visitor's Visa, however, they also say, she is limited to a six month visit.

We want her to live with us, and will sponsor her as soon as we can. I have seem some people talk about renewing visitor's visa's, but if the visitor is a US citizen, how do you do that, if you do not get a visa to begin with?
This is correct. She is visa-exempt but that does have a maximum visit time of just 6 months. To stay longer, she must apply for a visa to do so before the 6 months is up. Otherwise, she must leave Canada, just like any other foreign national. If she wishes to stay for the initial 2 years, she will need a Supervisa but once that 2 years is gone, she will be back to maximum 6 months again. She cannot "move" to Canada until she is a Permanent Resident. She is only visiting.

Reactions: skye and scylla

skye

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Thanks, I didn't realize that you have to already have PR to sponsor someone for a SuperVisa. I just read the rules on that and I see that now. Hopefully we will be able to just renew her as a visitor, until we get PR and can sponsor her for SuperVisa and for PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, I didn't realize that you have to already have PR to sponsor someone for a SuperVisa. I just read the rules on that and I see that now. Hopefully we will be able to just renew her as a visitor, until we get PR and can sponsor her for SuperVisa and for PR.
You don't just need to be a PR - you must also have a job in Canada that meets income requirements before you can apply for a super visa.

Unlikely you'll be able to continue to renew her visitor status until you get PR. It will be at least three years before you qualify to sponsor, then you have to wait to be selected through the lottery and wait further for the application to be processed. So at a minimum, you're probably looking at five years - however it could be a lot more. Unlikely she will be allowed to remain as a visitor for five years - sooner or later she will most likely have to return home for an extended period of time.

Also keep in mind that she won't have health care coverage while here as a visitor. You should take out insurance to cover emergencies. For non-emergency care and any pre-existing conditions, expect you'll have to pay out of pocket. Make sure you plan for that as well. Hopefully her health is excellent - things can get very expensive here fast.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because your mother is a US citizen she can enter Canada when you do. I would anticipate that you may face some issues extending her TRV when they realize she has started staying in Canada as soon as you moved. Had she been from another country you would have had to establish yourself for quite a few months before being approved for a TRV. In order for a TRV or supervisa to be approved she will have to show strong ties to the US or another country. She will also have to be out of Canada era-proved for a supervisa.