+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Grandma's home

spadeleader

Jul 5, 2022
My wife (Canadian citizen, US greencard holder) was given her grandmother's home. She wants me (US citizen, no Canadian status) to remodel the home and furnish it with our used, older furniture. I have my own tools as I'm a do-it-yourselfer, not a professional in the building trades.

Can we bring used household item (furniture, kitchen gadgets, etc) across the border to furnish the home? They would permanently stay in Canada. Are there any issues?

Can we bring my used tools to remodel the home? They would not be left in the home and would return to the U.S. Are there any issues?

Our plan would be to spend the summers in Canada and the remainder of the year in the U.S.

Thank you.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
My wife (Canadian citizen, US greencard holder) was given her grandmother's home. She wants me (US citizen, no Canadian status) to remodel the home and furnish it with our used, older furniture. I have my own tools as I'm a do-it-yourselfer, not a professional in the building trades.

Can we bring used household item (furniture, kitchen gadgets, etc) across the border to furnish the home? They would permanently stay in Canada. Are there any issues?

Can we bring my used tools to remodel the home? They would not be left in the home and would return to the U.S. Are there any issues?

Our plan would be to spend the summers in Canada and the remainder of the year in the U.S.

Thank you.
What makes you think it will be a problem?

spadeleader

Jul 5, 2022
I don't know. I just don't want to show up at the border (10 hour drive) with a trailer full of stuff, just to be refused or told I need to be duty or import fees.

Since we are not moving to Canada permanently, only staying the summers, I didn't know if the boarder agents would think duty fees would be applied. It would all be used items that would be left. The tools are also used and I'm not performing the work professionally.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I see.. there is certainly an issue with border control into Canada. Showing up with tools and a trailer full of furniture is very suspicious to say the least. Even if your intentions are pure and honest, convincing them is going to be a struggle. I would not worry about duty or import, it is the look you portray.
You can always buy tools and furniture in Canada however and then take the tools back to the US since you are a citizen. Or your Canadian wife drives on her own with all the gear.

But let's see what others think..good luck anyway

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I don't know. I just don't want to show up at the border (10 hour drive) with a trailer full of stuff, just to be refused or told I need to be duty or import fees.

Since we are not moving to Canada permanently, only staying the summers, I didn't know if the boarder agents would think duty fees would be applied. It would all be used items that would be left. The tools are also used and I'm not performing the work professionally.
The furniture is secondary. There are individuals in the country aka handymen that get paid to do this type of work . Not professionals, just like you , but handymen . I can see you being construed as entering the labour market . If you weren’t a “ handyman” and this work NEEDED to be done , who’d she call ? More than likely a local , who’d be getting paid for their time

As for the furniture. If you didn’t have the furniture from the States , and the house was empty ,what would you do ?

Seasonal Residents’ Effects - Tariff Item No. 9829.00.00

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-3-eng.html

Check above memorandum regarding if duty /tariff applies

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

It’s a tricky one that could go for it against you. You showing up at the border with a bunch of tools would likely be problematic. I suspect CBSA would assume you plan to work in Canada, and could refuse you entry. There was a case a few years ago about the Australian husband of a Canadian getting caught with pictures of them painting her house and he ended up being banned entry for a year. Your correct to be cautious in your approach.

Reactions: canuck78