+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduated but still waiting for study permit extension

osamawmd

Dec 22, 2016
I have this very confusing case which made CIC agent provide me with different answers every time I call them which I really hope you can help me answering. I will try to make it as simple as possible. I am an international student doing my masters who was supposed to end in September 2019 with a study permit that was supposed to end on 30th of Nov, however, I took an additional semester, so I applied for an extension to the study permit on Oct. At the beginning of Nov, I received a decision "Approved" but no extension was given. In other words, application still had Expiry date of Nov 30th. A call with CIC mentioned that they need a recent Verification of Enrolment plus transcripts and advised that I apply again for extension. Perfect, I did that and I applied on 21st of Nov, 10 days before the expiry of the original study permit. I turned into an implied status after 30th of Nov. The question is now since i now have finished my studies and received my final marks on 20th of Dec, am I still considered on an implied status and I should have waited for the decision on my study permit extension before applying to the PGWP or am I on the right track ? Employer is not willing to take the risk and refusing to let me start working since the day I applied for PGWP, I had no valid study permit , an implied status only, I guess. However, I recorded a call with CIC where the agent has fully understood my case and gave me the green light that I can start working without any need to wait for anything. I was unable to find any CIC pages that explains exactly such case. I am extremely worried about the whole situation as I am still hanging not knowing what to do or to go.

Last edited:

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
I have this very confusing case which made CIC agent provide me with different answers every time I call them which I really hope you can help me answering. I will try to make it as simple as possible. I am an international student doing my masters who was supposed to end in September 2019 with a study permit that was supposed to end on 30th of Nov, however, I took an additional semester, so I applied for an extension to the study permit on Oct. At the beginning of Nov, I received a decision "Approved" but no extension was given. In other words, application still had Expiry date of Nov 30th. A call with CIC mentioned that they need a recent Verification of Enrolment plus transcripts and advised that I apply again for extension. Perfect, I did that and I applied on 21st of Nov, 10 days before the expiry of the original study permit. I turned into an implied status after 30th of Nov. The question is now since i now have finished my studies and received my final marks on 20th of Dec, am I still considered on an implied status and I should have waited for the decision on my study permit extension before applying to the PGWP or am I on the right track ? Employer is not willing to take the risk and refusing to let me start working since the day I applied for PGWP, I had no valid study permit , an implied status only, I guess. However, I recorded a call with CIC where the agent has fully understood my case and gave me the green light that I can start working without any need to wait for anything. I was unable to find any CIC pages that explains exactly such case. I am extremely worried about the whole situation as I am still hanging not knowing what to do or to go.
Yes me is about to enter in same situation ,I also checked cic whole website and their website do not have a single piece of content related to these type of cases and even their cic agents are not able to answer about this situation.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
I consulted to lawyer and he advised me , you have to wait for study permit extension because to apply PGWP you must have a valid study permit , you cannot apply on implied status and you must stop working from the day when you received official completion letter of studies from college. so situation is cannot apply for PGWP and cannot work even 20 hours per week because when we already graduated from college , no more student status.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
did you received any updates?

osamawmd

Dec 22, 2016
did you received any updates?
I called CIC again, received the same answer that I can legally start working full time without having to wait for study permit extension decision, saying that applying to PGWP doesn't need to have a valid study permit as long as you had a valid permit before and knowing that I have finished my studies. However, sharing the same with the employer resulted no where, he is not convinced. I have also asked the University immigration advisor, he should get back to me on this soon but I feel like if there is nothing documented that mentions that on CIC website, no employer will take the risk. I even shared the recording of the call with the employer but he replied "that is not sufficient proof that allows you to start working right away". I mean the main issue is that processing time is ridiculously long. The last update on processing time had around the same date of applications being worked on as the update before, in other words, there were barely any applications processed.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
I called CIC again, received the same answer that I can legally start working full time without having to wait for study permit extension decision, saying that applying to PGWP doesn't need to have a valid study permit as long as you had a valid permit before and knowing that I have finished my studies. However, sharing the same with the employer resulted no where, he is not convinced. I have also asked the University immigration advisor, he should get back to me on this soon but I feel like if there is nothing documented that mentions that on CIC website, no employer will take the risk. I even shared the recording of the call with the employer but he replied "that is not sufficient proof that allows you to start working right away". I mean the main issue is that processing time is ridiculously long. The last update on processing time had around the same date of applications being worked on as the update before, in other words, there were barely any applications processed.
Yes this time the processing times ridiculously long. I called IRCC yesterday and they gave me same answer , your application in processing but it can take little longer time , asked for reason and they said we can not tell you .Then I explained my situation regarding PGWP , the person went to help desk to know the options and he told me three options :
1. Our advise is you should wait for extension then you can apply for pgwp ,
2.but if you d'nt want to wait , you can apply immediately for pgwp along with restoration of student status , you need to write as letter of explanation to inform them that you are withdrawing previous study permit extension application and now applying for restoration along with PGWP application.
3. Leave the country and apply for PGWP from outside Canada.

I am going with option 1 , for option 3 I do not have TRV and for 2 I think I cannot do that because I cannot get enrollment letter from college as I am already done with study.
SO without waiting , nothing I can do.

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
Yes this time the processing times ridiculously long. I called IRCC yesterday and they gave me same answer , your application in processing but it can take little longer time , asked for reason and they said we can not tell you .Then I explained my situation regarding PGWP , the person went to help desk to know the options and he told me three options :
2.but if you d'nt want to wait , you can apply immediately for pgwp along with restoration of student status , you need to write as letter of explanation to inform them that you are withdrawing previous study permit extension application and now applying for restoration along with PGWP application.

I am going with option 1 , for option 3 I do not have TRV and for 2 I think I cannot do that because I cannot get enrollment letter from college as I am already done with study.
SO without waiting , nothing I can do.[/

Ris411

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018

SO without waiting , nothing I can do.

I have same situation bro like you can you share your email with me.So that we can discuss further because I also have a conversation with cic agent

Jan 3, 2021
Hello everyone,
Precisely speaking wrong expiry date on study permit is caused two reasons.
1. That might be a mistake from the immigration department. This happens only once in a blue moon.
2.Fault in your documents. Mistakes in your documents or application might cause this problem. Probably this is the main reason that leads to wrong expiry date. Especially, the “letter of enrolment”. If the date on this letter of enrolment is incorrect the IRCC would provide the study permit that corresponds with the date on the study permit.
For instance: If you need a study permit extension that ends on March 31-2021; your letter of enrolment should show that you courses would end 90 days (by the end of December) prior to March 31-2021.
I personally gone through this and I knew how much mental trauma this could create. Please do not worry, you could apply again after obtaining documents with correct date. You do not need to approach a lawyer to resolve this issue. You must approach a lawyer, when your study permit extension got rejected.
In addition, you must also state that all your educational expenses are covered by your parents not yourself in the study permit extension form.
After you apply for the study permit extension that might take between 1-5 months to process; during this time you are on implied status. At this period of time you could continue your studies and work.
PS: You could apply for study permit/work permit numerous time until your passport expires
Hope this will help