+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate certificate or MS.. Urgent help required.. :(

JennySam

Aug 11, 2014
Dear Friends,

I have a few queries regarding higher studies in Canada and hope the seniors here would be able to give me some advice..

My profile –

10th Standard - 82%
12th Standard - 85%
Engineering (B.Tech) - 69.5% (no backlogs)
TOEFL – 105/120; GRE – 307/340

I Have 2 Microsoft certifications;
3.5 Yrs of experience in IT industry (Web Development using MS Dotnet and MS SQL) in an MNC in India.

I was planning for higher studies in Canada.. But have the following queries…
1. Considering my Engineering degree and Work exp would MS or PG certificate program be better.
(I have heard mixed responses. some say PG certi course will make it easier to get a job. Some say since I have engn degree go for MS and don’t go for PG coz PG jobs are not as good as MS jobs both in terms of job nature and also the pay; Also it is difficult to get PR for a PG certificate course..)
2. Which is better for getting a PR and also from a Job prospect point of view.
3. If its is MS my choice would be MS in CS (Lake head/ Memorial/ Concordia/ Dalhousie etc); If its PG certi then Internet programming or Project management (George Brown / Lambton / Seneca /Centennial).
4. Any other course or college that you could probably refer for me that I am eligible to apply with this profile..

Can anyone please help me with some advice...

JennySam

Aug 11, 2014
53 Read and still no one replied.. :( Friends can anyone please help me with some info.. am really confused... ???

Bhaskarpaliwal

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2015
Med's Done....
7-7-2015
VISA ISSUED...
5-8-2015
LANDED..........
Soon
JennySam said:
Dear Friends,

I have a few queries regarding higher studies in Canada and hope the seniors here would be able to give me some advice..

My profile –

10th Standard - 82%
12th Standard - 85%
Engineering (B.Tech) - 69.5% (no backlogs)
TOEFL – 105/120; GRE – 307/340

I Have 2 Microsoft certifications;
3.5 Yrs of experience in IT industry (Web Development using MS Dotnet and MS SQL) in an MNC in India.

I was planning for higher studies in Canada.. But have the following queries...
1. Considering my Engineering degree and Work exp would MS or PG certificate program be better.
(I have heard mixed responses. some say PG certi course will make it easier to get a job. Some say since I have engn degree go for MS and don't go for PG coz PG jobs are not as good as MS jobs both in terms of job nature and also the pay; Also it is difficult to get PR for a PG certificate course..)
2. Which is better for getting a PR and also from a Job prospect point of view.
3. If its is MS my choice would be MS in CS (Lake head/ Memorial/ Concordia/ Dalhousie etc); If its PG certi then Internet programming or Project management (George Brown / Lambton / Seneca /Centennial).
4. Any other course or college that you could probably refer for me that I am eligible to apply with this profile..

Can anyone please help me with some advice...
Dude i also have the same profile as yours except the fact that my gre score is 320.
I think we should definitly go for m.s. or m.eng program.
M.S. would not be quiet job oriented as it is based in pure research and it also needs a professor supervision.
However m.eng would be quiet job oriented option. And it would open new opportunities for u to apply for various jobs in industries.
all in all i want to say that masters is much better than certificate program.

Bhaskarpaliwal

Star Member
Aug 14, 2014
Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-07-2015
Med's Done....
7-7-2015
VISA ISSUED...
5-8-2015
LANDED..........
Soon
JennySam said:
Will i be able to get MS in CS in Simon Fraser with my profile ?
U may get but for applying to any canadian institute for ms program u first need to contact the professor and convince him to supervise you.
Thenu send your application with the supervisor refferal on it.
Your profile seems to be strongbut without supervision its not possible to get into ms in canada

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
as everyone has suggested go for masters. Now there are MASc/MSc and MEngg options MSc is thesis based option and MEngg is course based. MSc is research while MEngg is course based. If ur not interested in research go for MEngg option. If u go for MSc research based option in most cases u need a professor who is interested in ur profile and that his and ur research interests must match. If u go for MEngg option then u dont need a supervisor and u can get admission based on ur IELTS score and academic scores etc. U should search various universities and find the program which interests u.