+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Govt job

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
What are the odds of landing a government job in Canada for a PR holder? Is there an age limit? Is it worth trying and has anyone had success with it?
What are the "easiest" govt jobs that one can get, sort of like low hanging fruit? Please share your blueprint for success to land a govt job in Canada. Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What are the odds of landing a government job in Canada for a PR holder? Is there an age limit? Is it worth trying and has anyone had success with it?
What are the "easiest" govt jobs that one can get, sort of like low hanging fruit? Please share your blueprint for success to land a govt job in Canada. Thanks.
Entry level jobs with the government will include things like postal clerk, census enumerator with Stats Canada, and various call centre roles. I would say that the census and call centre roles are probably easier to get. The postal clerk probably more difficult - although still entry level.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Depends where you live. Government jobs are competitive because of the benefits and job security. If you are bilingual, you have a better chance.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Entry level jobs with the government will include things like postal clerk, census enumerator with Stats Canada, and various call centre roles. I would say that the census and call centre roles are probably easier to get. The postal clerk probably more difficult - although still entry level.
Are there any tricks to increase your odds of getting those govt jobs? Is it just a matter of clicking the apply button and waiting and hoping for a call or are there some hidden secrets that we don't know about?
You know when I landed in Canada, there was this lady sitting comfortably in her cabin simply handing out SIN numbers. I think it was the service desk. I was thinking man this must be the best job in the world, no physical strain or even mental strain, how did this person get a job like this? How do I get a job like that but I couldn't find any answers.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what are these people doing differently to get govt jobs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are there any tricks to increase your odds of getting those govt jobs? Is it just a matter of clicking the apply button and waiting and hoping for a call or are there some hidden secrets that we don't know about?
You know when I landed in Canada, there was this lady sitting comfortably in her cabin simply handing out SIN numbers. I think it was the service desk. I was thinking man this must be the best job in the world, no physical strain or even mental strain, how did this person get a job like this? How do I get a job like that but I couldn't find any answers.

Basically I'm trying to figure out what are these people doing differently to get govt jobs.
I'm not sure I say there are necessarily any "tricks". There's a lot of the usual stuff like having an updated and clean resume that presents your background well, having previous job experience, etc. Apply to jobs selectively that you think you are qualified for - don't apply for everything under the sun in their job postings. You'll also want to make sure you are physically in Canada at the time you apply in case you are called for an interview. (If you're not in Canada now, I would hold off applying until when you return). It helps if you are mobile - i.e. potentially willing to relocate to other parts of Canada if needed. Aim for entry level jobs and temporary jobs to get your food in the door. It's quite possible that your first step may be an entry level job that isn't your ideal job (e.g. call centre, census taker) before you may be able to secure a job that you think is more ideal (e.g. Service Canada - this would be the person handing out SINs). As said before, there is a lot of competition for these jobs.

I would also say that the Service Canada job you saw at the airport isn't necessarily all easy. There are occasions where these people get yelled at or where they deal with very difficult people. This is a front-line job from that perspective so it would require and involve the ability to manage difficult conversations, diffuse anger, deal with confrontation, etc.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: cic86

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Depends where you live. Government jobs are competitive because of the benefits and job security. If you are bilingual, you have a better chance.
I heard that it's easier to get govt jobs in Manitoba though I didn't get anymore insight than that. Probably worth bearing the cold for a govt job but I'm not sure I would want to spend my entire career in a freezer. At some point would like to move to a bigger province like Ontario or BC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I heard that it's easier to get govt jobs in Manitoba though I didn't get anymore insight than that. Probably worth bearing the cold for a govt job but I'm not sure I would want to spend my entire career in a freezer. At some point would like to move to a bigger province like Ontario or BC.
Are you bilingual? Most service centre jobs require you to speak both languages because you are dealing with the public.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Are you bilingual? Most service centre jobs require you to speak both languages because you are dealing with the public.
I guess it's time to crank up that Rosetta Stone for that French class I've been meaning to take.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
No entry level Government positions are “ easy to get .
Friend works at a call centre for the Province. A job posting incurred thousands of applications.
Entry call centre level Federal starts at $30/hr plus benefits
These involve multiple levels of testing
Interviews.
If the Government job is in Quebec NB
and public contract it’ll require bilingual
Like fluent
If it’s a call centre job, the posting will advise it
If it’s a call centre job in Quebec, it’ll be mandatory
Definitely not easy

Last edited:

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It says in that job posting that A Written Test, Interview and Reference Checks may be conducted. How do you prepare for that written test? Do they ask a bunch of puzzles?
Most likely it tests reading comprehension/reading instructions, numeracy and thinking/decisions skills.

Jun 8, 2023
Your 'low-hanging fruit' question is a bit tricky to answer since government jobs can be quite diverse. Many people start off with administrative roles as these often require less specialized knowledge and can serve as a stepping stone to more specific careers within the government.