+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Govt Funded French/Education Programs

Discussion in 'Education' started by _Harry_, Jun 6, 2019.

  1. I was just wondering if there are any govt funded French language learning programs for immigrants moving to Canada on PR basis?
    Also, are there any other education programs available for immigrants to learn/study without putting a big hole in their pocket?

  2. You haven't said where you are located.

    There are French language programs if you are in Quebec - you must already be a PR to qualify to attend for free.

    If you're looking to attend a college program or university degree, you'll need to pay for that. However you'll qualify for domestic student fees of course. There are sometimes scholarships available through the colleges or universities directly - generally these are open to all domestic students rather than being focused on refugees. Also, generally, these scholarship are available at higher levels of study (e.g. PhD, Masters).
    _Harry_ likes this.
  3. Thanks for the reply. I have PR but I haven't moved to Canada yet. It will happen in next few months. And most probably to either ON, BC or AB. There are chances I might go to Quebec on job basis but the chances are slim.
    I was under the impression that there are education courses for fresh immigrants (English/French/Others) who needs additional help in these languages. I will be working off-course as I don't intend to join college/university now.
    Just curious if there are evening or weekend classes for PR holders to improve their French language skills.
  4. It's really specific to the province / city where you will be living. Without knowing that's, it's very difficult to answer your question.

    Typically Quebec offers free French language programs and the rest of Canada offers free English language programs to new immigrants. There are often short programs available around resume writing, interviewing and things like that. Again, will depend on where you end up settling. Once you decide on a city, you'll be able to google and see what's available.
    _Harry_ likes this.
  5. Thank you. That was very helpful.
  6. These are usually basic language courses for people with no or basic understanding of English or French in order for people to be able to function in Canada or to be fluent enough to be able to work.
  7. I am planing to apply for a student visa but I just got rejected for a visitor visa. And I will be planing to do this in September in preparation for January intake. What are my chances? Will my visit rejection affect my study visa?
  8. What was the ground for the rejection? What your are going to do differently when apply again?
  9. The ground for my rejection was that
    1.based on my purpose of visit I won't be returning to my home country after visit
    2.did not have enough assets to show that I will return
    3. Based on my travel history I won't return
  10. It's been just a month they rejected so I am planing to file in a student visa application what are my chances ..Does my visit denial affect this ?
  11. Unless you can submit substantial additional documents to prove that those three points are not applicable to you, you will be denied again

  12. That is true, but the O/P must not have English as their first language.

    To be eligible for an ESL or FSL course, your first language must not be English.

    You must also either be:

    a naturalized Canadian citizen
    a permanent resident
    a Convention refugee
    a refugee claimant
    an approved Provincial Nominee
    a foreign domestic worker admitted under the Live-In Caregiver Program
  13. many of these classes have limited enrolment and waitlists (6-18 months). many are during the day. People in need and without adequate French or English will be prioritized. I know people who have had to pay to attend French classes if they wanted to improve their 2nd Canadian language skills.

Share This Page