+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Government of Canada - Free PRs

zziej

Apr 14, 2021
is part time counted as work? I checked the regulation for work it says
Definition work

(2) Despite the definition work in section 2, for the purposes of this Division, work means an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned.

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
There is a cap of 40,000 applicants only... This, like the OINP for International Students Job Offer stream, would be gone the moment it opens.
40,000 is a lot.. how many students are in Canada with a PGWP AND employed? If they hit the one year mark they would've applied for CEC.

Reactions: Riri15

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
40,000 is a lot.. how many students are in Canada with a PGWP AND employed? If they hit the one year mark they would've applied for CEC.
Well, in 2019 alone, the number is more than half a million (around 640k):

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/02/642000-international-students-canada-now-ranks-3rd-globally-in-foreign-student-attraction-0213763.html#gs.yspsby

The number is for enrolled students, though. Still, it would give us an idea how many students are potentially graduating or have already graduated.

For sure, even those who already applied under CEC, would also apply under this temporary policy. Especially if it would mean expediting their PR application. Unless there would be another mega draw like what happened last February, wherein all CEC applicants were invited.

Still, a positive news for international students. :)

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
Well, in 2019 alone, the number is more than half a million (around 640k):

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/02/642000-international-students-canada-now-ranks-3rd-globally-in-foreign-student-attraction-0213763.html#gs.yspsby

The number is for enrolled students, though. Still, it would give us an idea how many students are potentially graduating or have already graduated.

For sure, even those who already applied under CEC, would also apply under this temporary policy. Especially if it would mean expediting their PR application. Unless there would be another mega draw like what happened last February, wherein all CEC applicants were invited.

Still, a positive news for international students. :)
Well, they said ~50,000 people were eligible for the PGWP extension.. that went into effect earlier this year.. so I'm guessing there are those plus fall graduates that would be eligible IF employed. and the huge CEC draw in Feb invited all the people that have the 1 year experience.. Can you apply for permanent residency twice at the same time? this isn't a nomination program. I just feel it doesn't make sense for them to say it is open till November if it will close within an hour after opening.. those OINP streams take 1,000 at a time, not 90,000. Also, how many of these suddenly eligible people have their IELTS done?

rogelcorral

Champion Member
Jun 15, 2018
Well, they said ~50,000 people were eligible for the PGWP extension.. that went into effect earlier this year.. so I'm guessing there are those plus fall graduates that would be eligible IF employed. and the huge CEC draw in Feb invited all the people that have the 1 year experience.. Can you apply for permanent residency twice at the same time? this isn't a nomination program. I just feel it doesn't make sense for them to say it is open till November if it will close within an hour after opening.. those OINP streams take 1,000 at a time, not 90,000. Also, how many of these suddenly eligible people have their IELTS done?
Good point. But this is for the whole Canada and not just one province.

Question now is, which timezone will it follow when opening? Ottawa time?

rambag98

Jul 3, 2020
How long do you think it would take to meet the 40k cap?
Honestly, I don't know because I have no clue how many are eligible. Like what's the unemployment rate like? How many are on PGWPs with less than a year of work? But I feel what might happen is.. many applications will go through super fast and then it will plateau, as things like language test results aren't something you can get right away.. then when the degrees for the winter grads come out.. that'll add applications too..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long do you think it would take to meet the 40k cap?
Very fast. This is essentially speeding up available labour force already in Canada because covid is going to delay future immigration from abroad until covid is more under control worldwide. IRCC will likely want to process these application rather quickly to get people working. Those complaining about being unlucky because they were studying during covid just got very lucky.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
Wouldn't be surprised if they run this program more than once. It seems they're really keen on meeting their immigration quotas but at the same time avoiding the political fallout from letting FSWs in

mojito2s

Nov 26, 2020
Anyone knows if this will apply to those working in Quebec?? The eligibility states 'intend to reside outside of Quebec' but didn't really mention you have to PHYSICALLY be outside of QC.

hhzara

Star Member
May 11, 2020
Do international graduates need 1 year of work experience for this stream? Or is it enough just to be employed? I'm currently employed in a non-essential job.

I've been reading the regulations but I'm worried I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

mojito2s

Nov 26, 2020
Do international graduates need 1 year of work experience for this stream? Or is it enough just to be employed? I'm currently employed in a non-essential job.

I've been reading the regulations but I'm worried I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance for any answers!
I think you just need to be employed at the time of the application.

Reactions: rambag98 and hhzara