+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got refusal today. Help needed

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
I applied on November 17, 2020 for Study permit and was refused on March 20, 2021

Background:
Bachelor's- B.A. English honors- Passes out in October 2020 with 8.6 CGPA
IELTS- Band 7
College applied to- Seneca College, Winter 2021 Intake
Course- Government Relations, Post-graduate Certificate Course

Refusal Reason-
Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of: your qualifications, previous studies, mark sheets, academic record, level of establishment and/or your future prospects and plans.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements.

I had not attached my degree certificate with the application because I did not receive it in time. I will attach it with the next application. I am aware that my course is not exactly relevant but I am very passionate about this course and I want to pursue it. I had also included a SOP. I also don't have enough time to apply for GCMS notes unfortunately since I have already started studying online and my semester will end in one month.
Any tips or candid advice would be greatly appreciated.
Can this be easily rectified for my next application?

Reactions: Laguna55

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are going to take government relations and you are passionate about it, then take it in your home country. That is the issue. Your program is probably endorsed by the Canadian Policy Institute or Canadian Public Relations and is most likely focused on Canadian government relations. How will that help your career progression in your home country. Why spend thousands on a program in Canada? What is your work experience in this field? In none, then you should be looking a public policy or public administration degrees (preferably a Masters).

Last edited:

Konan1982

Champion Member
Mar 22, 2012
I applied on November 17, 2020 for Study permit and was refused on March 20, 2021

Background:
IELTS- Band 7

Refusal Reason-
Thank you for your interest in studying in Canada. After careful review of your study permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay, as stipulated in subsection 216(1) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.

• Your proposed studies are not reasonable in light of: your qualifications, previous studies, mark sheets, academic record, level of establishment and/or your future prospects and plans.

You are welcome to reapply if you feel that you can respond to these concerns and can demonstrate that your situation meets the requirements.

I had not attached my degree certificate with the application because I did not receive it in time. I will attach it with the next application. I am aware that my course is not exactly relevant but I am very passionate about this course and I want to pursue it. I had also included a SOP. I also don't have enough time to apply for GCMS notes unfortunately since I have already started studying online and my semester will end in one month.
legit refusal, you have bachelor and you go for college

Bayareawarrior

Feb 22, 2021
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
07-12-2020
Med's Done....
30-11-2020

Background:
IELTS- Band 7

Refusal Reason-

Sorry about your refusal, Did you apply via Sds or Regular Stream, and was India your place of application

sandeepjnair

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019

Background:
IELTS- Band 7

Refusal Reason-

It is recommended to change your program and apply for higher studies in the university rather than applying to a college. Also in parallel apply for GCMS notes to understand the details of your rejection.

Electrocutedguy

Jan 17, 2021
I think the reason for rejection is clearly the choice of course. Having a qualification in gov relations would be very specific to the Canadian gov and policies. Such courses are hardly approved for any international student unless they have very strong reasons to study such programs.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019

Background:
IELTS- Band 7

Refusal Reason-

Not a reasonable path of study.

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
I think the reason for rejection is clearly the choice of course. Having a qualification in gov relations would be very specific to the Canadian gov and policies. Such courses are hardly approved for any international student unless they have very strong reasons to study such programs.
I understand your point. But I had 2 classmates from India who got approved for the same course and one of them had done Architecture before. The Gov. Relations program has a lot of writing, campaigning, advocacy and communication courses which will help in landing a job as speechwriter or content writer in the government sector or private sector in public relations. I had basic communications courses and writing and research courses during my BA which is relevant.
Do you think that explaining these points in my SOP would help? Because, advocacy, communication and content writing are a part of almost every course in the Gov. Relations program.

Reactions: Qwerty098

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
If you are going to take government relations and you are passionate about it, then take it in your home country. That is the issue. Your program is probably endorsed by the Canadian Policy Institute or Canadian Public Relations and is most likely focused on Canadian government relations. How will that help your career progression in your home country. Why spend thousands on a program in Canada? What is your work experience in this field? In none, then you should be looking a public policy or public administration degrees (preferably a Masters).
I can't go for a masters in Canada because I have only 15 years of education. The reason I took this course was because there were writing courses in this program which would specifically help me become a content writer in the government sector and I chose Canada because a Canadian education will help my file stand out amongst others. It does seem irrelevant but if you see the courses it's mostly content writing and advocacy everywhere. My goal is not to work as a government relations officer but to learn about the content writing aspect of this field.

Besides, there are no relevant graduate certificate courses after Honors BA English..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can't go for a masters in Canada because I have only 15 years of education. The reason I took this course was because there were writing courses in this program which would specifically help me become a content writer in the government sector and I chose Canada because a Canadian education will help my file stand out amongst others. It does seem irrelevant but if you see the courses it's mostly content writing and advocacy everywhere. My goal is not to work as a government relations officer but to learn about the content writing aspect of this field.

Besides, there are no relevant graduate certificate courses after Honors BA English..
You could have looked at Public Relations or Corporate Communications not government. I am sure there are courses on municipal, provincial and federal relations. Do you have experience in this field? If yes, highlight the fact. If not, why do you have to come to Canada to take this program. It isn’t going to get you jobs in Canada with no Canadian experience so how does it help your career in your home country. You have to highlight the job opportunities you will have.

Did you start this program without a study permit? Why?

Shaild

Oct 17, 2019
I understand your point. But I had 2 classmates from India who got approved for the same course and one of them had done Architecture before. The Gov. Relations program has a lot of writing, campaigning, advocacy and communication courses which will help in landing a job as speechwriter or content writer in the government sector or private sector in public relations. I had basic communications courses and writing and research courses during my BA which is relevant.
Do you think that explaining these points in my SOP would help? Because, advocacy, communication and content writing are a part of almost every course in the Gov. Relations program.
You do realize that most of the Study permit process is subjective and totally depends on how the VO reviewing your files sees things. Your friends must have had a officer who saw things differently. You can always try with more explanations and try your luck but the safest way to play this out is go by what they want to see.

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
You do realize that most of the Study permit process is subjective and totally depends on how the VO reviewing your files sees things. Your friends must have had a officer who saw things differently. You can always try with more explanations and try your luck but the safest way to play this out is go by what they want to see.
I get what you're saying. My previous SOP was sloppy and vague. I have now consulted with an agency who will be doing the process for me. I asked for their professional opinion on whether I should defer to May or refund and apply somewhere else. They suggested that I should defer and apply with a stronger SOP. So hopefully it works out this time.

nishak55

Dec 13, 2020
You could have looked at Public Relations or Corporate Communications not government. I am sure there are courses on municipal, provincial and federal relations. Do you have experience in this field? If yes, highlight the fact. If not, why do you have to come to Canada to take this program. It isn’t going to get you jobs in Canada with no Canadian experience so how does it help your career in your home country. You have to highlight the job opportunities you will have.

Did you start this program without a study permit? Why?
No, I have deferred to May. I have consulted with an agency who will be working on the SOP now. I will make sure that all these questions are answered.
Since 2 people from India got study permit for this course, it is not impossible for me. I have taken their SOP and read it and will edit mine accordingly. I just have to draw upon the fact that it is a course that will prepare me for both writing in government and corporate sector in 2 semesters. And also what specific jobs I'll hold when I come back.