+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PR approved (Brit from London, UK)! Landing Questions (incl B4 form etc)

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015
We have just received a letter via postal mail re: Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for my British husband (we are living in London, UK)!

We have been asked to 'land' on or before 18 Nov 2016! Had a few questions and thought I should ask here first:

1. In terms of process, we just land at the airport and make our way to the immigration line as usual, and present the papers we have, and they'll take it from there? How long does the process typically take?

2. What is the 'interview' process like? I assume it is straight after we land, and just to double-check/reconfirm our details (as per the form), and incase of any changes?

3. We won't feasibly be able to emigrate permanently until Spring 2017 or so, but we'll go and 'land' before 18 Nov 2016: are there any bits we have to do beforehand (i.e. do we need to make the customs list even though we won't be carrying much of the items with us, but they will be following us in Mar/Apr 2017), or can we do that at a later date?

4. The forms says he needs to be present in Canada atleast 730 days over the next 5 years to maintain his PR status, so am guessing moving in Q1 2017 would be ok.

5. In terms of getting Social Security numbers, health card, bank accounts, etc - I am assuming it is ok if he does that once we move permanently (i.e. Q1 2017), rather than rush it during this 'landing trip'?

Thanks guys!! :)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Got PR approved (Brit from London, UK)! Landing Questions

1. Yes. The process itself will only take ~ 15 minutes, but the wait to see an officer will be determined by things that nobody can predict.

2. Correct.

3. Yes. He will need to have a B4 `Goods to Follow' form completed before he arrives.

4. Yes, but since you are a Canadian citizen (I assume), days that he spends outside of Canada with you, count towards those days. He could, in theory, land on 18 Nov 2016 and return to London for years, without compromising his PR.

5. Canada doesn't use the SSN system, rather they use the Social Insurance Number system (xxx-xxx-xxx, versus xxx-xx-xxxx). He can probably get his number immediately after he lands, if the airport has a service Canada office/kiosk, such as YYZ (Pearson/Toronto). He will need to settle in Canada before he can get his health card, as he must be living in Canada. The eligibility requirements and waiting times, vary for each Province.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

It's also important to mention that while it's certainly logical for a person to `land' and then [almost] immediately return `home' to prepare for the permanent move, some people have had issues.

If the officer at landing wants to make life difficult, s/he could start asking questions about when he will be making the permanent move. Although ~ 5-6 months seems reasonable, to get things in order, if the officer feels that you should have been prepared to move sooner...it could get ugly.

My suggestion would be to `plan' to move sooner, realizing that `plans' often change. ;)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Actually, the correct, legally accurate answer to 3 is "no" because at this point he will not fit the definition of a "settler". He won't actually become a "settler" until you return with the intention of staying. See http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/still-classified-as-settler-t262456.0.html;msg3891296#msg3891296 and http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html?pedisable=true

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

zardoz said:
Actually, the correct, legally accurate answer to 3 is "no" because at this point he will not fit the definition of a "settler". He won't actually become a "settler" until you return with the intention of staying. See http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/still-classified-as-settler-t262456.0.html;msg3891296#msg3891296 and http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html?pedisable=true
Who are Considered Settlers?

1. For the purpose of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 of the Schedule to the Customs Tariff, settlers mean all individuals who enter Canada with the intention of establishing for the first time a residence for a period of not less than 12 months.

Who are Not Considered Settlers?

5. Persons who enter Canada for the purpose of:

(a) employment for a period not exceeding 36 months;
(b) studying at an educational institution; or
(c) performing preclearance activities on behalf of the Government of the United States.

Talk about a paradox!

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015

Thanks all, very helpful!

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015
Apologies, another couple of points:

1. I understand my husband (Brit) will have to fill in a B4 form (listing his goods carried and future incoming goods) upon landing (even though we'll pop down just for the landing in the first instance, for a short duration)?

I currently live in London, UK with him since we have been married (5years or so), do I need to fill in a B4 form as well (or any other paperwork) as I'll be moving all of my belongings too (when we eventually move early next year)?

2. Does anyone know what level of detail the B4 needs to be in? i.e. Listing every item of clothing (with associated approximate value) vs an entry for 'box of clothes' with an approximate value (in total)?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
nbpb said:
Apologies, another couple of points:

1. I understand my husband (Brit) will have to fill in a B4 form (listing his goods carried and future incoming goods) upon landing (even though we'll pop down just for the landing in the first instance, for a short duration)?

I currently live in London, UK with him since we have been married (5years or so), do I need to fill in a B4 form as well (or any other paperwork) as I'll be moving all of my belongings too (when we eventually move early next year)?

2. Does anyone know what level of detail the B4 needs to be in? i.e. Listing every item of clothing (with associated approximate value) vs an entry for 'box of clothes' with an approximate value (in total)?
1. yes, if he's bringing items at landing and after, he will need 2 separate forms. 1 for at landing and one for "goods to follow". yes, if you have separate items from your husband, you will need to fill out a form as well. if you previously lived in canada, you would classify yourself as "former resident" on the form.

2. you don't need much detail. it is fine to list items in lots such as "2 boxes of clothes", "1 box of kitchen items" and assign a value for the lot. electronics require a serial number listed. it is helpful to have appraisals for expensive jewelry, but it's not required.

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015
CDNPR2014 said:
1. yes, if he's bringing items at landing and after, he will need 2 separate forms. 1 for at landing and one for "goods to follow". yes, if you have separate items from your husband, you will need to fill out a form as well. if you previously lived in canada, you would classify yourself as "former resident" on the form.

2. you don't need much detail. it is fine to list items in lots such as "2 boxes of clothes", "1 box of kitchen items" and assign a value for the lot. electronics require a serial number listed. it is helpful to have appraisals for expensive jewelry, but it's not required.
Super, thank you! :)

nbpb

Sep 21, 2015
Sorry, one more question:

In terms of the PR card, do we need to provide a local (Canada) address for the card to be mailed or can we provide our UK address?

Many thanks.

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
You will need to provide a Canada Address i assume.
nbpb said:
Sorry, one more question:

In terms of the PR card, do we need to provide a local (Canada) address for the card to be mailed or can we provide our UK address?

Many thanks.
You will need to provide a Canada address for your PR card.