+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got our PRs Stamped. Here's our Experience...

Dhanan

Mar 4, 2009
First of all, thank you for those who helped to answer my questions. As a return favor, I'm writing my experience here for the benefit of prospective PRs:

We drove from Chicago to Windsor, ON, Canada for the stamping. Once we reached the DW Tunnel, we hit the toll gate first where we paid $4. Then we went through the tunnel, and at the end, there was POE. After seeing our passports, the officer issued a yellow slip and asked us to go to the Immigration section for formalities. There was nobody so we were the first. A lady officer asked our documents. All she was interested was to see our passports with immigrant visas and the COPRs. She asked few questions:
1) Where are you going to stay? I gave her my friend's address in Canada.
2) How much money are you carrying now? I said $800.
3) How much money will you be carrying when you decide to move later on to Canada? I told her CAD20,000 (as we are a family of 4). I had told her earlier that we are returning back to US tonight as I'm working in US on H1B visa and would move to Canada sometime later, which was fine.

Later another officer took care of the B4 / B4A forms for Goods to Follow lists. As we were to return the same day, there was no accompanying goods list, and everything had to be put in the Goods to Follow list.

That's all, the officer chopped PR seals on our passports, wrote the PR numbers and we bacame PRs.

I have no idea when the PR cards would be sent, and I didn't get a very clear answer on that.

We returned after an hour through the same tunnel to US. At the US POE, I was asked few questions:
1) Citizenship
2) When did we go to Canada?
3) For what purpose?

That's all, then we were allowed to re-enter US. The I-94s were not removed by any official when entering Canada, so we retained the same I-94s - no re-stamping was required. The Automatic Visa Revalidation worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Dhanan.

dee999

Apr 21, 2009
So question maybe you can answer for me...If you get ur Passport request can do u have to mail it to the visa office that did you application? or can you just take the passports and go to the port of entry and have them stamp this??

also any idea on moving there and waiting out the remainder of time for PR apps to be done? meaning going to canada with round trip ticket but not returning US? may I ask what Office did u use for your PR and the time frame it took to be complete?

Dhanan

Mar 4, 2009
I didn't understand your first question.

I think they are not particular about where you are coming from and going to. I got my COPR from Singapore and it took about 3 years.

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
When you have passport request, you can mail by courier and provide return envelope, or you can go to Buffalo (if you apply from Canada). I don't think you can go to port of entry.

I applied to buffalo office, it took around 1 year to complete.

dee999

Apr 21, 2009
Ok....well to make more specific. I live in US and my husband in British columbia. So we were gonna fly there this summer IF applications are not done by then we were going toj ust go there with return flights but not return to US and then wait for applications to be done obviously sending them change of address. I guess i am just double checking that i cna do that..i would then be in canada and once passport request was done then submit them but just wondering once all that comes back do i have to drive to the US /ca border or can i go to a immigration in teh city?

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
If you got passport request, submit and wait for return, which takes 3 weeks unless you go to Consulate in person.

Once visa is affixed on passport, you can land in any port of entry. I believe you can land at the airport. The only requirement is you need to be out of Canada and then enter Canada. You can't land when you are in Canada. Need to exit first. If you are in US, should be fine.

dee999

Apr 21, 2009
so if i go there before apps are done.....adn then i get passport requests once they come back i have to leave canada adn then re enter at border or airport? since ill be in vancouver seattle border is close i can easily drive there to the border but are they really gonna make me cross and recross?!?!?! its possible but wasnt sure....we are getting our house begin of july adn thats why i wanted to go ahead and move and wait fo rapps tobe done

dave373

Sep 22, 2008
I land by crossing Niagara border. I tried to land on Canada side, but the officer told me I need to go to the US side. So I went, and the US officer gave me a paper saying I left US. I took that paper back Canada, and they do my landing.

It's actually kind of stupid.. but that's the rule.

Slick

Star Member
Feb 2, 2008
Dhanan said:
First of all, thank you for those who helped to answer my questions. As a return favor, I'm writing my experience here for the benefit of prospective PRs:

We drove from Chicago to Windsor, ON, Canada for the stamping. Once we reached the DW Tunnel, we hit the toll gate first where we paid $4. Then we went through the tunnel, and at the end, there was POE. After seeing our passports, the officer issued a yellow slip and asked us to go to the Immigration section for formalities. There was nobody so we were the first. A lady officer asked our documents. All she was interested was to see our passports with immigrant visas and the COPRs. She asked few questions:
1) Where are you going to stay? I gave her my friend's address in Canada.
2) How much money are you carrying now? I said $800.
3) How much money will you be carrying when you decide to move later on to Canada? I told her CAD20,000 (as we are a family of 4). I had told her earlier that we are returning back to US tonight as I'm working in US on H1B visa and would move to Canada sometime later, which was fine.

Later another officer took care of the B4 / B4A forms for Goods to Follow lists. As we were to return the same day, there was no accompanying goods list, and everything had to be put in the Goods to Follow list.

That's all, the officer chopped PR seals on our passports, wrote the PR numbers and we bacame PRs.

I have no idea when the PR cards would be sent, and I didn't get a very clear answer on that.

We returned after an hour through the same tunnel to US. At the US POE, I was asked few questions:
1) Citizenship
2) When did we go to Canada?
3) For what purpose?

That's all, then we were allowed to re-enter US. The I-94s were not removed by any official when entering Canada, so we retained the same I-94s - no re-stamping was required. The Automatic Visa Revalidation worked fine.

Hope this helps.

Dhanan.
Congratulations Dhanan!!!

I am still waiting for my application to be fully processed, but had a few questions in regards to moving to Canada via land.

Do you know if it's possible to simply rent a truck and enter Canada with all your belonging?

If so, will these belonging be taxed?

What if I decide to officially enter Canada first, then go back to the US at a later date to drive back with by belonging, will this be acceptable?

Thank you for any input you may have.

Slick

dee999

Apr 21, 2009
dave373 said:
I land by crossing Niagara border. I tried to land on Canada side, but the officer told me I need to go to the US side. So I went, and the US officer gave me a paper saying I left US. I took that paper back Canada, and they do my landing.

It's actually kind of stupid.. but that's the rule.
ok so i guess id have to drive over to washington then back to canada...did u have to bring all ur belongings with you? cause we are taking whatever fits in a suitcase so dont really wann ahvae to pack it all and then take it over boarder and back again?

babutv2000

Jan 29, 2009
Hi Dhanan, Congratulations. Your's is a very unique experience and I am sure helpful to many in us. Based on your experience it appears you do not need to carry proof of funds if you are living the country same day and you are there only to complete the landing formality.

Dhanan

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks, and yes, I was not asked to show proof of funds, but there is no guarantee that it will be same for everyone. I, however, had everything ready including a balance statement, but didn't have to use, and I'd advise everyone who lands to keep everything ready to play safe. For my case, our visas were due for expiry on 19th and we landed on 18th! So we didn't take chance.

Slick, I think both the arrangements you mentioned should work. I don't see any problems.

dsn

Apr 24, 2009
Congratulations Dhanan.

Did you every told to immigration officer that you were returning back today ?? Weren't you asked a question that "How will you enter again in Canada" as you will not get PR card in a day ?

-DSN

dee999

Apr 21, 2009
Dhanan said:
Thanks, and yes, I was not asked to show proof of funds, but there is no guarantee that it will be same for everyone. I, however, had everything ready including a balance statement, but didn't have to use, and I'd advise everyone who lands to keep everything ready to play safe. For my case, our visas were due for expiry on 19th and we landed on 18th! So we didn't take chance.

Slick, I think both the arrangements you mentioned should work. I don't see any problems.
so question to you if i go there before papers i will be in vancouver so then i will have to drive to washing ton and enter back into canada to land? am i correct on this? if we get passort requests from buffalo and i notify them of new addy in canada will they keep file u think or move it to an "in canada office" also do i have to repack all my stuff and bring it over and back?

Dhanan

Mar 4, 2009
dsn said:
Congratulations Dhanan.

Did you every told to immigration officer that you were returning back today ?? Weren't you asked a question that "How will you enter again in Canada" as you will not get PR card in a day ?

-DSN
Thanks DSN.

I asked them whether I can re-enter Canada w/o PR card and by just presenting my passport with PR stamp. They said yes. I believe PR card is just a convenience at POE and not a requirement.

-Dhanan.