11/09/2009
Passport Req..
01/07/2010
VISA ISSUED...
19/07/2010
LANDED..........
26/07/2010
Dear experienced applicants.

I applied for citizenship in July 2014. I did my test in March 2015. I had financial and family problems in my home country which forced me to travel in April 2015 without renewing my PR. Now my PR is expired and I got the oath letter to appear for a ceremony on July 8th. Could you please tell me How I can enter Canada. Is there a possibility that I enter Canada with my landing papers and the oath letter. If yes. How? Please Help me.

Many thanks for your time.

csqmjj

Star Member
Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo , Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-02-2013
seems like first step is to ask cic to reschedule your oath

then you need a new PR card to reenter Canada.
you may ask an immigration lawyer also as you need to be much careful in next stage

good luck

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besho said:
Dear experienced applicants.

I applied for citizenship in July 2014. I did my test in March 2015. I had financial and family problems in my home country which forced me to travel in April 2015 without renewing my PR. Now my PR is expired and I got the oath letter to appear for a ceremony on July 8th. Could you please tell me How I can enter Canada. Is there a possibility that I enter Canada with my landing papers and the oath letter. If yes. How? Please Help me.

Many thanks for your time.
Go to a Canadian consulate or embassy and apply for a travel document, I don't know the exact name, it's like a visa for a one time use.

I entered that way back in 2011.

Good luck !

Zumba369

Star Member
Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zumba369 said:
Go to a Canadian consulate or embassy and apply for a travel document, I don't know the exact name, it's like a visa for a one time use.

Good luck !
Permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus must show a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or travel document before boarding.

Use this application if you are outside Canada, you have lost your PR card and you need proof of your status to return to Canada.

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zumba369 said:

Good luck !
I think you can do that, get a "one entry visa". My friend recently became PR and the officer told him that he can leave even if he doesn't have a PR card yet. but to re-enter, he must get a single entry visa.

yr97

Apr 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 options, both guaranteed:

- Fly to US(if u can), and cross the borders by car (faster, cheaper and more convenient option).

OR

- Apply for a travel document.

besho

Sep 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/04/2007
Med's Done....
11/09/2009
Passport Req..
01/07/2010
VISA ISSUED...
19/07/2010
LANDED..........
26/07/2010
Zumba369 said:
Permanent residents returning to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus must show a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or travel document before boarding.

Use this application if you are outside Canada, you have lost your PR card and you need proof of your status to return to Canada.

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp
But My PR is expired. Am I still considered permanent resident? I think travel document is for those whose PR is still valid. Mine is expired. Am I right?

besho

Sep 9, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/04/2007
Med's Done....
11/09/2009
Passport Req..
01/07/2010
VISA ISSUED...
19/07/2010
LANDED..........
26/07/2010
yr97 said:
2 options, both guaranteed:

- Fly to US(if u can), and cross the borders by car (faster, cheaper and more convenient option).

OR

- Apply for a travel document.
Yes I have a valid tourist visa to the US. But how to enter Canada? By plane, bus or car? and through which border?

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besho said:
But My PR is expired. Am I still considered permanent resident? I think travel document is for those whose PR is still valid. Mine is expired. Am I right?
PR is a travel document so yes u are a permanent resident.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi.

Time is very important and do not waste any time.

Is possible that you able to travel to USA ?

if not than contact Canada Consulate/Embassy and inform them that you came
to your native place due to urgent emergency and you have to go back immediately
( suggest do not mention about oath for time being if you do not have to )
if think will take time than you have to send the urgent courier by fedex/dhl and
inform them that you are in emergency and out of country for few days and will be
back soon and I will let you kindly re schedule my oath letter.

If Canada consulate/embassy will arrange travel paper than come back and take
oath on time and if consulate/embassy will take time than you have to inform
for postponed oath.

What a luck.... any how god will find the way for you.

cedarjet

Star Member
Mar 13, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besho said:
Yes I have a valid tourist visa to the US. But how to enter Canada? By plane, bus or car? and through which border?
Enter by car otherwise u need ur PR card.

Elk-hunter

Star Member
Oct 17, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
besho said:
Or status does only expire if you were out of
Country for more than 3 out of 5 years.
The only thing which expired was your plastic card.
Your still a permant resident.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
besho said:
The big question is that did you maintain the PR residency obligations (staying in canada for 2 years out of 5 years).
If you have maintained it then you can get a travel document from the canadian consulate abroad.

2nd option is to fly to usa and travel to canada by land by car and show your govt issued ID like drivers license etc and the landing document etc.

Here are the helpful links;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=065&t=10

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

If you can't get a travel document quickly or can't enter canada before oath then request cic to reschedule your oath.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Travel by Car from border by taxi/bus etc.... check nearest usa border

and travel fast and no need to cancel oath otherwise you will have to wait long.