+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got my Open work permit.. I think..

Col3290

Apr 20, 2017
Hey forum,

Firstly thank you to anyone who helped me on here. Your answers were very detailed and helped a lot. I have another question to ask; My open work permit came in the mail Yesterday. At least I'm certain its my OWP but it only runs until my passport expiry which is the end of the year. My question is: Once I have my new passport from my home country will my work permit be automatically updated to ongoing or open? I Know all about Implied status because my previous visa (IEC) was not extendable so I was not able to work under implied status. Does this new visa allow me to carry on working under the same basis once it expires? Do I have to re apply for another visa before my PR is issued? Or can i work on the back of this visa until my PR is issued even though it is expired.

Quick background:

Arrived in Canada july 2015 on IEC 2 year work permit. Applied for PR under family class March 2017 also applied for OWP on back of PR application. OWP issued July 5th 2017 but only up until current travel document (passport) expiry date. So will a new passport automatically update my run out date or do I need to re apply?

Also has anyone else not had to have a medical to get an OWP? I was totally expecting an email with details of getting a medical but it never came.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Once I have my new passport from my home country will my work permit be automatically updated to ongoing or open?

Does this new visa allow me to carry on working under the same basis once it expires? Do I have to re apply for another visa before my PR is issued? Or can i work on the back of this visa until my PR is issued even though it is expired.

Also has anyone else not had to have a medical to get an OWP? I was totally expecting an email with details of getting a medical but it never came.

Hi

No, your OWP will not be automatically updated.

No, you cannot continue to work on an expired permit. You will need to apply to extend your OWP.

Most people aren't required to do the medical for the OWP. The requirement for a medical depends on whether a person has been in a designated risk country.

Col3290

Apr 20, 2017
Thanks for your answer.

I'm actually led to believe that as long as I apply for another OWP on or before the expiry of my current OWP that I will have implied status for up to 3 months after the expiry of my current OWP or until my new OWP arrives. Is there anyone who can verify this? As UK passport will likely take 6 weeks and I can't apply for a new OWP until my new passport arrives. therefore my time frame may get messed up.

Thank you,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your answer.

I'm actually led to believe that as long as I apply for another OWP on or before the expiry of my current OWP that I will have implied status for up to 3 months after the expiry of my current OWP or until my new OWP arrives. Is there anyone who can verify this? As UK passport will likely take 6 weeks and I can't apply for a new OWP until my new passport arrives. therefore my time frame may get messed up.

Thank you,
Yes, you will have Implied Status if you apply for an extension before your current OWP expires. There is no 3 month limit to Implied Status.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Just adding a tip: If you apply for an extension of your Work Permit before the current one is due, you can go on working in the same condiitions, that is same job, not changing anything, until the new one arrives or you get any notifcation of a decision.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Just adding a tip: If you apply for an extension of your Work Permit before the current one is due, you can go on working in the same condiitions, that is same job, not changing anything, until the new one arrives or you get any notifcation of a decision.
As OP holds an open work permit, there is no requirement to stay in the same job while on Implied Status. That requirement only exists for closed work permit holders.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
No, I mean if his current OWP is due before the new one comes, he can still go on working but in the same job, that´s what I was told when I called CIC contact cnetre. WHich actually makes sense, if you want to chang jobs you don´t have a paer to show the new employer, old one is due and new one has not arrived. But you can go on working on the same conditions just becasue you were already there.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
No, I mean if his current OWP is due before the new one comes, he can still go on working but in the same job, that´s what I was told when I called CIC contact cnetre. WHich actually makes sense, if you want to chang jobs you don´t have a paer to show the new employer, old one is due and new one has not arrived. But you can go on working on the same conditions just becasue you were already there.
Again, this applies to CLOSED work permit holders, as it is a condition of their work permit that they only work for that employer.

Open work permit holders have no such condition on their work permit and therefore are NOT required to stay with the same employer while on Implied Status.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
Well, CIC people were very clear, if you have an OWP and it is due while you wait for your new one, they allow you to keep on working but in the same conditions. You can even listen to this automated info while you wait for an agent. Exactly like this.

If you think about it, if you wanted to change jobs, you actually don´t have a Work Permit to give the new employer... does it make sense ?

I don´t make the rules ;)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Well, CIC people were very clear, if you have an OWP and it is due while you wait for your new one, they allow you to keep on working but in the same conditions. You can even listen to this automated info while you wait for an agent. Exactly like this.

If you think about it, if you wanted to change jobs, you actually don´t have a Work Permit to give the new employer... does it make sense ?

I don´t make the rules ;)
No, you just misunderstand the rules...

A person on Implied Status can continue working on the same conditions of the WORK PERMIT. Really, it's not complicated.

Closed work permit = condition to work for one employer.

OPEN work permit = no conditions on which employer.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, if your current OWP is due, and you want to change jobs, which permit do you give your new employer ?
They can show their expired permit, proof they have applied for a new one and the IRCC explanation of Implied Status.

Helena R

Jul 3, 2017
That might not be enough for a new employer.

CIC call centre peole are pretty trinded to answer these questions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That might not be enough for a new employer.

CIC call centre peole are pretty trinded to answer these questions.
Then that is the employer's issue. The point is that there is nothing wrong with an OWP holder switching jobs on Implied Status.

Are you kidding??? The call centre staff are not even remotely trained to handle anything beyond the most absolute basic questions and even those they get wrong half of the time.

Reactions: Col3290

Col3290

Apr 20, 2017
Just thought id open this thread again real quick. Is there an OWP extension application or do i need to apply again for a new OWP?

Thank's